5th YR option rejections John Ross WR/Solomon Thomas DT

bobokd1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29127392/source-bengals-not-picking-fifth-year-option-wr-john-ross

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001112471/article/49ers-decline-fifthyear-option-on-dl-solomon-thomas

John Ross WR from the Bengals and Solomon Thomas DT from the 49ers are two top 1st round picks who failed to impress or were injured. We know it is Howie SZN and if i am him, I am looking to acquire this two. 

Ross has speed for days, someone we looked into before to acquire but either the price was too steep or the Bungles weren't ready to move on. He was injured alot but he might be had for a low 7 round pick or someone we have on the block like Sul, they haven't signed Dennard back I don't think. He would be a low cost option looking to get another contract, hungry to prove he isn't a bust and it was just injuries.

Thomas is another pick I would like that is young and could be in our DT rotation. In Philly we invest in our O and D lines. Thomas is in a numbers game in SF and hasn't really impressed. He will command a nice salary if he stays with SF. Maybe a sway 

As high 1st round picks, these teams don't want to pull an Aggy and give them the contract for their 5th YR. It hamstrings your team for a player who hasn't really established themselves as a 1st rd caliber player for that money. I think we can get one or both players for not too much capital.

What do you guys think?

Nope.  We're already strong at DT.  And Ross is both fragile and also more fast than good.

• Like 1

I would honestly give both of them a shot. Especially Ross. If he doesn't get hurt he would be a stud in this offense.

Theres no room for Ross this year. We have already traded for a player exactly the same in Goodwin. Talented, world class speed, and always injured. Cant have 2 of those.

Now, I never expected the eagles to be interested in Ross due to the injury history. Yet they made the move for Goodwin. So you can no longer write him off for that reason anymore.

I wouldnt rule it out as a free agent signing next year if Goodwin doesnt make the team, or pulls a Mike Wallace or something and misses most of the season.

Not this year though...

Not gonna cut a promising guy like Hightower or Quez for Ross and then see him injured all year while the other guy develops for some other team. 

Solomon Thomas was a DE in college, and was a DE draft prospect. One I was never very fond of. And people told me I was crazy and Thomas was amazing and I was just a contrarian. He wasnt good then. Hes not good now. And theres no reason to even consider him. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

I would honestly give both of them a shot. Especially Ross. If he doesn't get hurt he would be a stud in this offense.

You are definitely all about adding... everyone. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FastFreddie said:

You are definitely all about adding... everyone. 

Adding everyone to the eagles and giving them a shot I guess are the same...

10 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Adding everyone to the eagles and giving them a shot I guess are the same...

Finite roster spots. Finite money. Have to balance those extra spots between unproven guys and maybe the occasional reclamation project - but all these guys that are just ok aren’t waiting to show their true greatness as Eagles. 

4 minutes ago, FastFreddie said:

Finite roster spots. Finite money. Have to balance those extra spots between unproven guys and maybe the occasional reclamation project - but all these guys that are just ok aren’t waiting to show their true greatness as Eagles. 

Everyone knows there are limited spots. If Ross is cheap (relatively) and I believe he will be because he hasnt really done anything in the NFL, it is worth kicking the tires. But you would rather give guys like Sheldon Gibson another shot when we all know there is no way in hell he will be on the team.

Potential is there with Ross. Make 1 year prove it deal with little to no guaranteed money, if possible. If not, then don't give him a shot. Low risk...

We don't need another DT, I like Thomas but we don't need to spend anymore money at the position. 

Ross, just a no thank you. 

• Like 1

Thomas can play DE as well. Hes only 6'3 280. hes that type of player that can play either or. I was surprised how little impact he had in SF. I wouldnt not be upset if Eagles gave him a chance. 

Ross I want no part of. Ive been very vocal that speed is not the main factor I look at for a WR. I want someone with a nice route tree and can catch the ball. No thank you on Ross. 

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Thomas can play DE as well. Hes only 6'3 280. hes that type of player that can play either or. I was surprised how little impact he had in SF. I wouldnt not be upset if Eagles gave him a chance. 

Ross I want no part of. Ive been very vocal that speed is not the main factor I look at for a WR. I want someone with a nice route tree and can catch the ball. No thank you on Ross. 

Ross isn't so bad when he's healthy. Problem is he's never healthy.

21 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Theres no room for Ross this year. We have already traded for a player exactly the same in Goodwin. Talented, world class speed, and always injured. Cant have 2 of those.

Desean says hi. 

Can either play LB? 

On 5/2/2020 at 8:19 PM, HazletonEagle said:

Now, I never expected the eagles to be interested in Ross due to the injury history. Yet they made the move for Goodwin. So you can no longer write him off for that reason anymore.

I wouldnt rule it out as a free agent signing next year if Goodwin doesnt make the team, or pulls a Mike Wallace or something and misses most of the season.

Not this year though...

Not gonna cut a promising guy like Hightower or Quez for Ross and then see him injured all year while the other guy develops for some other team. 

Solomon Thomas was a DE in college, and was a DE draft prospect. One I was never very fond of. And people told me I was crazy and Thomas was amazing and I was just a contrarian. He wasnt good then. Hes not good now. And theres no reason to even consider him. 

I'd have taken Ross over Goodwin.  Ross is nearly 3" taller, 5 years younger, and has the same speed.

Goodwin cost them a trade down in the 6th and Ross would cost more than that though.  

Ross has shown he can't stay healthy, but he has also shown that he can play when he is.  He's not a track star non-football player.  

I like adding Goodwin/Hightower/Watkins, I really do.  But statistically, the overwhelming odds are that Goodwin is gone after 2020 and that we barely know more about Hightower/Watkins heading into next year than we do now after rookie years buried on the depth chart.  So I would be all for adding Ross via FA.

The issue though...Ross will likely either have a big contract year and command more money than we are willing to give up for a 1 year wonder, or he'll get hurt again and the whole experiment won't feel worthwhile.

I mean Ross put up more yards in 8 games last year than any of our receivers and paced to break a 1000yards over a full season, my guess is the Bengals work out a deal if he stays fit this year, if he doesn't stay fit then there's no point bringing him here to sit in the treatment room.

Ross just isn’t very good, injuries aside. I said I didn’t want him in that draft because I just didn’t think he translated to the NFL. He certainly hasn’t done anything to change my mind. 

So Ross is more fast than good. Sounds a bit like some of the receivers and linebackers the Eagles just drafted.

Lol people saying Ross is more fast than anything are SOME (notice I said "some") of the same people that wanted Ruggs. No one can convince me that Ruggs was a better prospect coming out of Bama than Ross was coming out of U Dubb

Ross has not been great or even good by any stretch but he can play in this league if he can stay healthy. Ross is the type of player the Saints would trade for and turn him into comeback player of the year.

He has to be in the right scheme though.

We have enough guys with speed that have a small route tree and avg hands. I'll pass.