Daniel Faalele (Minnesota RT) -- DRAFTED BY BALTIMORE #110

The Blackfish

6’9” 380lbs Senior   1st Team All Big 10.   
 Will be at the Senior Bowl. Projected as 2nd-    
 3rd Round pick. 

He is an Aussie, former Rugby player, 4 Star recruit with offers from every major college.      
 Opted out in 2020 due to Covid, he played at 400lbs in 2019 and by all accounts he dropped to the mid 370’s in 2021.    
 Graded by PFF as their 8th best tackle in the 2021 draft.  He is their 55th best prospect in 2022.    
 He’s a monster, possible replacement for Lane Johnson and he’s already a solid run blocker, but he needs work with pass blocking especially against speed rushers.  

F3C1DA99-2994-44C4-8F9E-A2169D06D72B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Can you just imagine this guy on the opposite end to Mailata...

Yes, yes I can:

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I was also looking at this player a while ago, liked what I read on him and also thought him at RT with Mailata at LT would give us massive bookend former rugby Aussie Ts for years to come.  However, the EMB's OL 'guru' JR has watched him and is not high on him.  Says he's too much of a waist bender and not as athletic as Mailata.  Maybe Stout can coach him up and turn him into something good?  With Lane still playing at a high level we have the luxury of giving Faalele time to learn, work on his technique and get more fit for the NFL.  Not sure what round would be acceptable to take him as I've seen him ranked anywhere from 2nd to 4th. 

Is he playing in any of the All-Star Bowl games?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like it I like it. Is Faalele even bigger than Mailata?

Yup, much bigger. 6"9 and 380Lbs+.

3 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

I was also looking at this player a while ago, liked what I read on him and also thought him at RT with Mailata at LT would give us massive bookend former rugby Aussie Ts for years to come.  However, the EMB's OL 'guru' JR has watched him and is not high on him.  Says he's too much of a waist bender and not as athletic as Mailata.  Maybe Stout can coach him up and turn him into something good?  With Lane still playing at a high level we have the luxury of giving Faalele time to learn, work on his technique and get more fit for the NFL.  Not sure what round would be acceptable to take him as I've seen him ranked anywhere from 2nd to 4th. 

Is he playing in any of the All-Star Bowl games?

He's not a finished product, that's why he is a day 2 pick. If he was, we would be talking about him being a top 10 pick.

Get him in here with Stoutland and the gang, give him a year or two and then watch the results.

• Like 2

I liked him early on and then I kinda realized after watching his game tape that is mostly a really big dude.  He doesn't have tackle feet and isn't an athlete like Mailata.  I wouldn't want the Eagles to touch him on day 2 but if he was there in late rounds they could take a flyer on him.

18 minutes ago, proveagle said:

I liked him early on and then I kinda realized after watching his game tape that is mostly a really big dude.  He doesn't have tackle feet and isn't an athlete like Mailata.  I wouldn't want the Eagles to touch him on day 2 but if he was there in late rounds they could take a flyer on him.

He would be working with Stoutland to be fair...

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He would be working with Stoutland to be fair...

He would get the most out of him for sure.  Here is a short scouting video that thinks highly of him:

When I watch it I don't think he feet look quick at all.  I think speed rushers are going to destroy him and he might be too big to play G.  Can you imagine him pulling at all?  Part of what makes the Eagles run game so elite is its diversity.  They aren't limited to power or zone.  They are literally running everything and Johnson is pulling a lot.  They need guys that can run both power AND zone schemes.

I would be fine with this guy later in draft but there are a bunch of prospects I would much prefer on day 2 over Faalele.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think there are tools there for Stout to work with. If he falls to the 4th or 5th then I'm on board. 

To me, Stout is the MVP of this team.  Say what you want about Chip Kelly, but he brought him to Philly.  The Eagles front office was smart enough to keep him here.

• Like 3

He’s projected as a 2nd -3rd round pick, if some team believes he can be the next Mailata, he’ll go early in the 2nd round, but if he does hang around till the 3rd and the Eagles are confident they can get his weight down closer to the mid 300’s, he might be worth it. 
 He’s not a 1st round pick, but he needs to be vetted like one. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Procus said:

To me, Stout is the MVP of this team.  Say what you want about Chip Kelly, but he brought him to Philly.  The Eagles front office was smart enough to keep him here.

Yeah I agree. Stout has been sensational. I mean in the time he's been here we haven't had a bad OL.

• Like 1

100% on board with him. Sit him behind Lane and let Stout work his magic..

I think a second or third would be well worth it for us!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

2nd might be a little high, 3rd is a no-brainer.

Yeah I think 3rd is not a bad shout especially given how many first round picks we have. 

There have been many stellar offensive linemen drafted in middle rounds.  Runyan was a 4th rounder.  Kelce was a 6th rounder.  Brooks was a 3d rounder

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 9:54 PM, proveagle said:

I don’t agree at all. I think he will be further along than Mailata was as a rookie, with all the handicaps of a giant that is still pretty raw.

I don’t think all teams could make this guy a success, but I believe Stout can.

So working on that premise: Is it worth using a second round pick on a guy you think Stout can turn into another Mailata?

I think it absolutely is. Hell, it might even be worth it to throw a first on him in hindsight. Don’t think we need to, but just talking value here.

• 2 months later...
On 12/22/2021 at 12:04 PM, D-Shiznit said:

Yup, much bigger. 6"9 and 380Lbs+.

Well, Mailata is 6' 8" 365 so I don't know if I'd call that "much bigger" but I'd love it if we could get him. 

On 12/23/2021 at 2:12 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I agree. Stout has been sensational. I mean in the time he's been here we haven't had a bad OL.

Never been a fan of Seumalo but can't disagree with your general premise. 

On 12/21/2021 at 4:50 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Can you just imagine this guy on the opposite end to Mailata...

could even have a package with those two beside each other could you imagine running behind that?

• Like 1

Just saw some highlights, as one of the above poster mentioned he is nowhere near the athlete Mailata is. Looks very heavy footed and slow.. Wouldn't mind taking him in the 3rd though..