What could have been... (run game)

Portyansky

Imagine if we stuck/started with the run earlier in the season. It's not like we haven't faced good run D during our emergence of the run. We don't need to rely on Hurts' arm to win the games. Especially during this time of year. Happy these last 3 games coming are all being played outside.

Honestly just amazed how good we are at the run. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The run has never been a problem. Its been the coaches and play calling. If they call a run or two and they arent great turnouts, they abandon it for awhile and get behind. Its ALWAYS been this way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Imagine if we stuck/started with the run earlier in the season. It's not like we haven't faced good run D during our emergence of the run. We don't need to rely on Hurts' arm to win the games. Especially during this time of year. Happy these last 3 games coming are all being played outside.

We faced the #1 rush defense, at the time top 10 historically against the run thru 9 games. Saints were averaging 66rushing yards allowed/game. We ran on them for 240 something yards. 4x the amount they were giving up

7 hours ago, st0n3r said:

The run has never been a problem. Its been the coaches and play calling. If they call a run or two and they arent great turnouts, they abandon it for awhile and get behind. Its ALWAYS been this way.

Yep.   I've even seen other teams do the same thing, but the Eagles excel at it.   Panic sets in way too early and they get one dimensional.

If this is the offense they are going to run they should get a fullback for next year.  That said, there are an unusually large amount of good running teams this year including the 49ers, Vikings and Patriots.  But the only team in our category is the Colts.

9 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Sirianni is a new coach and he has a young coaching staff, and a young offense. They were all basically learning on the fly. At least he was willing to adapt his game. 

The strange thing is as Sirriani has continued his maturation as a coach, and it has shown in his play calling. The QB and offensive philosophy/personnel have followed. I just really wonder with the failure of the Reagor pick, if somehow he could contribute in the manner he did last night. It would take some pressure off of only having DeVonta and Goedert as threats. Because I do think DeVonta particularly has hit a bit of a wall and the long season has him banged up. Also, teams know to press him at the line and get him off route. I also know that last night was his best game. So it is wishful thinking.

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Sirianni is a new coach and he has a young coaching staff, and a young offense. They were all basically learning on the fly. At least he was willing to adapt his game. 

There were also at least one or two games that our D came up short that we could have won. I agree there was bound to be a learning curve this year and I think all in all they did a good job adjusting.

43 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

If this is the offense they are going to run they should get a fullback for next year.  That said, there are an unusually large amount of good running teams this year including the 49ers, Vikings and Patriots.  But the only team in our category is the Colts.

I'm not convinced we should sell out on the running game. Sure it's working for us and others this year but in the long term I think teams will adjust to defend against it. In the NFL the pendulum is always swinging so you either need to be ahead of whichever way it's swinging or you can just be a balanced team and try and pick apart the other teams weaknesses.

1 minute ago, Thing3 said:

I'm not convinced we should sell out on the running game. Sure it's working for us and others this year but in the long term I think teams will adjust to defend against it. In the NFL the pendulum is always swinging so you either need to be ahead of whichever way it's swinging or you can just be a balanced team and try and pick apart the other teams weaknesses.

The pendulum is swinging pretty hard and I see no reason why it can't be there for 4-5 years.  Defenses have gotten faster and smaller and schematically sold out to defend the pass.  That takes years of personnel and coaching decisions to rectify.  Wentz just crushed the Patriots with 50 passing yards.  Mac Jones beat Buffalo two weeks ago on <10 passes.  I watch the Ravens a ton and at this point they should just rotate Lamar and Huntley like RB's.  Eagles should jump on that wagon, get back in the forefront, find Hurts another scrambler to rotate with and run over people.

Think about it, you can get Hurts a running mate in the 3rd-5th rd and spend your chips on defense, or you can cash those chips for another pocket passer who may or may not pan out.

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

Yep, Nick Sirani's fought for thinking he had a QB who could play QB 

You mean the QB who just went 20 of 26 for 296 yards with 4 drops on a rainy day?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I was shocked at what I saw yesterday, looks like he installed an entirely new offense during the week off but then I thought, that can't be because they looked so sharp in their execution.

So evidently they've been practicing what we saw yesterday for some time.

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

The pendulum is swinging pretty hard and I see no reason why it can't be there for 4-5 years.  Defenses have gotten faster and smaller and schematically sold out to defend the pass.  That takes years of personnel and coaching decisions to rectify.  Wentz just crushed the Patriots with 50 passing yards.  Mac Jones beat Buffalo two weeks ago on <10 passes.  I watch the Ravens a ton and at this point they should just rotate Lamar and Huntley like RB's.  Eagles should jump on that wagon, get back in the forefront, find Hurts another scrambler to rotate with and run over people.

Think about it, you can get Hurts a running mate in the 3rd-5th rd and spend your chips on defense, or you can cash those chips for another pocket passer who may or may not pan out.

I think the trend you're going to start to see with some teams is the WR/RB hybrid. Think what Atlanta does with Cordarrelle Patterson and San Francisco with Deebo Samuel. Samuel would be incredible in this offense. I wouldn't be opposed at all to adding a guy like that to this team in a mid-late round in the draft. 

53 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I agree with this but I'm not sure the timeline is 4-5 years. I think it's more like 2-3 years. We're going to have holes to fill just to maintain what we have going for us this year not to mention improving upon that.

The Miles Sanders/Jordan Howard combo finally looked like the "thunder and lightning" running game the Eagles promised back in 2019. 

38 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

I think the trend you're going to start to see with some teams is the WR/RB hybrid. Think what Atlanta does with Cordarrelle Patterson and San Francisco with Deebo Samuel. Samuel would be incredible in this offense. I wouldn't be opposed at all to adding a guy like that to this team in a mid-late round in the draft. 

We have one. His name is Kenny Gainwell.

15 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The Miles Sanders/Jordan Howard combo finally looked like the "thunder and lightning" running game the Eagles promised back in 2019. 

Agreed. Love that 1-2 punch.

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It's a little surprising to me that Sirianni was able to convince 'upstairs' to go away from pass pass pass. I'm assuming he did; what we saw at the beginning of this year was pretty similar to years past.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

It's a little surprising to me that Sirianni was able to convince 'upstairs' to go away from pass pass pass. I'm assuming he did; what we saw at the beginning of this year was pretty similar to years past.

Agreed. At least it feels like upstairs wanted a pass first offense. Now that they are more run and balanced oriented it just fits the team much better. Whatever he did he needs to keep it up.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Agreed. At least it feels like upstairs wanted a pass first offense. Now that they are more run and balanced oriented it just fits the team much better. Whatever he did he needs to keep it up.

Perhaps not. He lost a lot in proving that lots of passing wasn't going to work. You might think that 'Lowie' would see the result and want to keep doing what they've been doing the past few games. We'll see.

2 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Perhaps not. He lost a lot in proving that lots of passing wasn't going to work. You might think that 'Lowie' would see the result and want to keep doing what they've been doing the past few games. We'll see.

Lurie likes to feel like he’s on the side of cutting edge technology. He also loves the passing game, but according to some on the radio Hurts was his pick which is kind of puzzling actually. He does not fit the pass, pass, and more pass mode. In any case I think Hurts fits more of this run style offense, but I hope this past game shows them that they don’t need to use so many RPO sets. Sometimes it’s okay just to give the ball to the back and set up the play action stuff. 

14 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Agreed, wish Gannon would get his head out of his a...

15 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Agreed, wish Gannon would get his head out of his a...

I am disappointed with the defense overall, but his defensive line has been kind of a letdown especially the defensive ends. I really think the defense needs an influx of talent. Still thought Gannon should’ve blitzed WFT more though. Their quarterback was way too comfortable in the pocket. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I am disappointed with the defense overall, but his defensive line has been kind of a letdown especially the defensive ends. I really think the defense needs an influx of talent. Still thought Gannon should’ve blitzes WFT more though. Their quarterback was way too comfortable in the pocket. 

100%. He seems to be coaching scared most of the time. 

15 hours ago, Portyansky said:

100%. He seems to be coaching scared most of the time. 

I think some of it is their analytics department also. Schwartz seemed to play defense similar and that was to try to get pressure with their front four and play a lot of coverages on the back end. The basically won the Super Bowl that way too. The problem is despite all the money in the front four they just don’t get enough pressure. Losing Graham just this defense a lot and the other guys failed to step up. 

They would definitely have 2 or 3 more wins if the playcalling wasn’t so bad earlier in the year.