Jermaine Johnson II (Florida State EDGE) -- DRAFTED BY N.Y. JETS #26

Ray75

I think this guy will be the Eagles pick at 15. If he's still there..........

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 12:14 AM, ManchesterEagle said:

I think this guy will be the Eagles pick at 15. If he's still there..........

Agreed. Eagles just love Senior Bowl standouts, and coincidentally happen to have a dire need at DE. It's the perfect storm.

Ideally, at #15, Detroit trades up from either 32 or 34 for a QB, and the Eagles get a 2023 1st to boot.

Then draft Johnson at #16 (which also saves a little bit of salary cap! ;)).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Couch Potato said:

Agreed. Eagles just love Senior Bowl standouts, and coincidentally happen to have a dire need at DE. It's the perfect storm.

Ideally, at #15, Detroit trades up from either 32 or 34 for a QB, and the Eagles get a 2023 1st to boot.

Then draft Johnson at #16 (which also saves a little bit of salary cap! ;)).

I mentioned Detroit as a potential trade partner earlier.  I'm sure they didn't trade for Goff because they thought he can be "the guy" ... they did so to acquire the draft picks that came along with him when they shipped out Stafford.  That trade would make a ton of sense for both Detroit (if a QB they love is there) and for us.  I do wonder if a deal came about though if they wouldn't instead package up both picks 32 and 34 for 15.  On the trade chart it works out fairly evenly.  My preference would be for a 2023 1st (but since they are likely to stink next year again it would be a high pick ... they may not want to part with that).  Additionally, I would prefer pick 32 to 34 IF we managed to get just one of them and a pick next year as it would allow us to exercise the 5th year option on whoever we pick if we wanted to.  

• Like 3

On 2/17/2022 at 9:33 AM, time2rock said:

I mentioned Detroit as a potential trade partner earlier.  I'm sure they didn't trade for Goff because they thought he can be "the guy" ... they did so to acquire the draft picks that came along with him when they shipped out Stafford.  That trade would make a ton of sense for both Detroit (if a QB they love is there) and for us.  I do wonder if a deal came about though if they wouldn't instead package up both picks 32 and 34 for 15.  On the trade chart it works out fairly evenly.  My preference would be for a 2023 1st (but since they are likely to stink next year again it would be a high pick ... they may not want to part with that).  Additionally, I would prefer pick 32 to 34 IF we managed to get just one of them and a pick next year as it would allow us to exercise the 5th year option on whoever we pick if we wanted to.  

They can offer their other 2023 1st Round pick they got from the Rams, which could potentially be anywhere from 20-32.  So IF the Lions wanted to trade up with us to either 15 or 16 to draft a QB then they have 2 options of offering this draft's picks of 32 and 34 or they could offer the Rams 2023 1st Rounder as part of a package.  The former is awfully tempting as we could possibly get our own QB (Strong?) with one of those picks and get another player that high up who could contribute regularly in 2022.  However if I'm the Lions I'd rather offer up the Rams 2023 1st and keep those 2 picks to improve the team. 

7 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

They can offer their other 2023 1st Round pick they got from the Rams, which could potentially be anywhere from 20-32.  So IF the Lions wanted to trade up with us to either 15 or 16 to draft a QB then they have 2 options of offering this draft's picks of 32 and 34 or they could offer the Rams 2023 1st Rounder as part of a package.  The former is awfully tempting as we could possibly get our own QB (Strong?) with one of those picks and get another player that high up who could contribute regularly in 2022.  However if I'm the Lions I'd rather offer up the Rams 2023 1st and keep those 2 picks to improve the team. 

Completely forgot they have LA’s 1st in 2023 as well.  But if we did accept a package that included that pick it would still involve either 32 or 34 I’d assume.  

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Completely forgot they have LA’s 1st in 2023 as well.  But if we did accept a package that included that pick it would still involve either 32 or 34 I’d assume.  

Yes, it would have to involve one of them, most likely 32.  Since 2023 picks are valued a round lower of current picks then 2022 pick 32 plus 2023 1st Rounder are pretty close to being equal value to pick 16. 

I'm looking at the draft order and most of the teams needing a QB are ahead of us.  The only team really needing a QB after our picks is PGH.  So DET could think PGH is drafting a QB and would want to trade ahead of their pick at 20.  NO could possibly draft a QB at 18 if they don't re-sign Winston, though are they really going to roll with Hill at QB after giving him that extension?  In a perfect scenario we keep 15 & 16 and draft the 2 best players on the board, PGH doesn't trade up and waits at 20 for a QB to fall to them, DET trades up with us at 19 and we get 32 plus their 2023 Rams' 1st.  Though PGH could do a little trade up with us from 20 to 16 and include 84 if they wanted to secure a QB.

So many possibilities.  Would be nice to have the option of Johnson or Ojabo when it's our turn to pick.  I think Ojabo has a little more upside if he can reach his full potential, but Johnson could be the more consistently productive player.  I think Hamilton is a pipe dream plus our FO is too stupid to make that pick even if we get that lucky.  I do hope Gardner falls to us as other teams go for Stingley and Booth before him. 

I'd be pretty damned happy with the following:

15 - Gardner

16 - Johnson/Ojabo

32 - BPA, possibly S/LB/QB plus a 2023 1st

So in 2023 we'd have our own 1st probably somewhere between 12-20 and DET via LAR's 1st probably somewhere between 21-30 (doubtful they repeat).  That'd be helpful for doing a rebuild and adding quality young talent to the roster or for going after a QB you feel can be your guy.  Those two 1sts, depending where they actually fall, could get you a trade up from as high as 3 (even if you had 12 & 20 you'd need to include a 3rd Rounder to reach 3 where those 2 picks by themselves could get you to 4) to at worst 8 (if you had 20 and 30).  Well, in the ballpark going by the draft value chart.  Probably be a bit different in reality.

• Like 1

Daniel Jeremiah now has Johnson going #9 overall in his latest mock draft.  It's so funny how players "rise and fall" during the season of draft analysts.  

While I'd love Johnson if he's there for us, Jeremiah has us taking Ojabo and Wyatt back to back...I'd love that too!

4 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

Daniel Jeremiah now has Johnson going #9 overall in his latest mock draft.  It's so funny how players "rise and fall" during the season of draft analysts.  

While I'd love Johnson if he's there for us, Jeremiah has us taking Ojabo and Wyatt back to back...I'd love that too!

A lot of crazy things happen on day 1 but I’d be surprised if Johnson went top 10.  Even though it is a weak QB class you just know there will be 2-3 that go top 15.  OTs always go high as well.  You have Hitch and Thibodeaux who will surely be top 10 picks.  In the mix are Hamilton, Stingley, Gardner, etc.  Not saying it can’t happen I just personally don’t see it.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Johnson did speak to the Eagles in Indianapolis but it was an informal interview (they might have talked to him at the Senior Bowl too) … 

• 2 weeks later...

He can become a game-wrecker type of player. I can see him, outside with Reddick opposite, rushing. If we can get one of the young DTs that would be an impressive front.

16 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

With Ojabo out, JJ becomes target #1.

I think JJ was already ahead of Ojabo, leapfrogged GK3 as well. GK3 isn’t flashy but he can play behind BG, and is versatile schematically.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 11:32 AM, time2rock said:

A lot of crazy things happen on day 1 but I’d be surprised if Johnson went top 10.  Even though it is a weak QB class you just know there will be 2-3 that go top 15.  OTs always go high as well.  You have Hitch and Thibodeaux who will surely be top 10 picks.  In the mix are Hamilton, Stingley, Gardner, etc.  Not saying it can’t happen I just personally don’t see it.  

Me neither, it just comes down to math. He should be available when we are on the clock.

• 4 weeks later...

All gone a bit quiet on JJ II, but I think he could fall in the 10-13 range and if he does I wouldn't be unhappy or surprised if the Eagles make a move up to get him.

44 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

All gone a bit quiet on JJ II, but I think he could fall in the 10-13 range and if he does I wouldn't be unhappy or surprised if the Eagles make a move up to get him.

Productive, good senior bowl, premium position - yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.  He's not MY guy, but I wouldn't be pissed or anything - Wyatt would make me angry.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 4:23 PM, Waiting4Someday said:

Productive, good senior bowl, premium position - yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.  He's not MY guy, but I wouldn't be pissed or anything - Wyatt would make me angry.

Who is "your guy” … Davis?

And curious as to why Wyatt would make you angry.  

33 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Who is "your guy” … Davis?

And curious as to why Wyatt would make you angry.  

Yes, Davis. Travon is far out of reach now.

For me Wyatt is a 2nd round prospect on merit - not overly productive given his opportunities, older and now character red flags. I would never confuse him with Fletcher Cox. He’s not even Christian Wilkins, who was a beast against the run plus some pass rush. Schematically, I’d rather have a NT than another 3T splitting reps with Milton.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Yes, Davis. Travon is far out of reach now.

For me Wyatt is a 2nd round prospect on merit - not overly productive given his opportunities, older and now character red flags. I would never confuse him with Fletcher Cox. He’s not even Christian Wilkins, who was a beast against the run plus some pass rush. Schematically, I’d rather have a NT than another 3T splitting reps with Milton.

Agreed, he's kind of dropped off my radar. I like Logan Hall and Travis Jones more if we're looking at potential bottom 1st - 2nd round prospects.

9 hours ago, bitbased said:

Agreed, he's kind of dropped off my radar. I like Logan Hall and Travis Jones more if we're looking at potential bottom 1st - 2nd round prospects.

Logan Hall shows a lot versatility to play anywhere between the 5T-2T, Wyatt has this capability as well but doesn’t seem to be as long. The kid from UAB is also interesting in terms of the 4i role, I’ll need to look at him more. Travis Jones is definitely the next guy up if we miss out on JD99. Not as freaky, but can play NT and doesn’t have the snap count knock (although I think this is overblown in regard to Davis) - probably will go earlier than expected by most.

I think this guy gets picked in the top 12. He may well be a top 10 pick

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Godfather said:

I think this guy gets picked in the top 12. He may well be a top 10 pick

Yeah I can see that. I mean at one point early in the process I think people thought he was mid to late first. Then he seemed to kill it at the Senior Bowl and combine so people thought maybe around top 10. Then it all went a little quiet and now people think he's slipped back. I'm sure on teams boards though he's not moved a lot. 

I think it depends on what Houston does at #3, if they draft Thibodeaux then JJ becomes the last blue chip DE and will certainly go top 10.

If Houston draft someone else, you can see JJ fall into trade up range for Howie.

• Like 1