Brandon Brooks

Procus

Anybody hear word on his status?  Back when he suffered his injury, the line was that he'd be back by now. 

If he's healthy, is it even advisable to break up this OL with Herbig playing well?

11 minutes ago, Procus said:

Anybody hear word on his status?  Back when he suffered his injury, the line was that he'd be back by now. 

If he's healthy, is it even advisable to break up this OL with Herbig playing well?

Word was he was going to be activated to practice after the bye week. Obviously that came and went, I'd be suprised if he plays again this season. His time here might be at it's end. Sad because this guy is a force!, he just can't stay healthy.

I hope it’s not anxiety or depression. If he were physically unable to play I think we would not be getting the run around. 

Just now, uncphillyfan said:

I hope it’s not anxiety or depression. If he were physically unable to play I think we would not be getting the run around. 

Or, he may not physically be ready.

7 hours ago, Procus said:

Or, he may not physically be ready.

I thought this was just a bicep strain. The no news makes me doubt he will ever play for the Eagles again. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Procus said:

He is done as an Eagle. Im sure they plan on trading him in the off season and they will get the most value for him (which is still not a lot) if he is healthy. Dude hasnt been fully healthy since the 2018 playoffs. Why risk another injury at this point with the oline playing so well without him? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I thought this was just a bicep strain. The no news makes me doubt he will ever play for the Eagles again. 

Probably right.  Most unfortunate that he has a cap hit of just under $20M in each of the next 3 seasons.  Just one more lesson in a long list Howie needs to learn about restructuring deals of aging vets that become injury prone.  

If we cut or trade him (using a pre June 1 designation) this upcoming offseason we will incur a dead cap hit of $15.7M (but also yield $3.7M in cap relief).  I do hope that is in the plans.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

Probably right.  Most unfortunate that he has a cap hit of just under $20M in each of the next 3 seasons.  Just one more lesson in a long list Howie needs to learn about restructuring deals of aging vets that become injury prone.  

If we cut or trade him (using a pre June 1 designation) this upcoming offseason we will incur a dead cap hit of $15.7M (but also yield $3.7M in cap relief).  I do hope that is in the plans.  

The Eagles repeated the mistakes the Phillies made after their WS Championship - rewarding good play AFTER the fact.  From where I'm sitting, this is more common among organizations that are not experienced at winning championships.  Bill Walsh famously got rid of star players a year or two before their decline, not after.

Let's hope the lesson has been learned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procus said:

The Eagles repeated the mistakes the Phillies made after their WS Championship - rewarding good play AFTER the fact.  From where I'm sitting, this is more common among organizations that are not experienced at winning championships.  Bill Walsh famously got rid of star players a year or two before their decline, not after.

Let's hope the lesson has been learned.

Honestly the Eagles were very good at getting rid of players before they went south. That all changed when they did it to Dawkins. soon after Banner was gone and the Eagles moved more into a direction of keeping players too long, although I don’t think that is the case with Brooks. His problem was he couldn’t stay healthy. 

16 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Honestly the Eagles were very good at getting rid of players before they went south. That all changed when they did it to Dawkins. soon after Banner was gone and the Eagles moved more into a direction of keeping players too long, although I don’t think that is the case with Brooks. His problem was he couldn’t stay healthy. 

I think Howie is scared of the backlash he might receive for getting rid of a fan favorite not realizing there is only one Dawkins. I can’t think of anyone on the team outside of maybe Kelce people would be super upset about getting rid of and that’s only because of his speech. 

1 minute ago, 20dawk4life said:

I think Howie is scared of the backlash he might receive for getting rid of a fan favorite not realizing there is only one Dawkins. I can’t think of anyone on the team outside of maybe Kelce people would be super upset about getting rid of and that’s only because of his speech. 

I wonder how much of this is Roseman and how much of it is a mandate from Lurie. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I wonder how much of this is Roseman and how much of it is a mandate from Lurie. 

I agree - I can see Lurie bonding with a player and giving him a hefty payday because of that

On 12/26/2021 at 10:23 AM, Procus said:

I agree - I can see Lurie bonding with a player and giving him a hefty payday because of that

Jason Peters.  

I think the shift in philosophy was related more to trying to "keep the band together” following the Super Bowl thinking our window was wide open and we’d be in position to get another.  Restructuring those guys freed up cap space to allow us to add more to that championship roster.  

• Like 3

On 12/26/2021 at 2:41 AM, uncphillyfan said:

If it wasn’t anxiety, we would’ve had injury updates like with everyone else. That they’re saying nothing says a lot.

6 minutes ago, Infam said:

If it wasn’t anxiety, we would’ve had injury updates like with everyone else. That they’re saying nothing says a lot.

Since we are speculating, I'd say he has told the team that he is done and headed to retirement.  Brooks has had so many physical issues lately tied to his NFL career and then the mental health stuff mixed in.  He's been a good Eagle. Whatever the outcome, I wish him luck.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Since we are speculating, I'd say he has told the team that he is done and headed to retirement.  Brooks has had so many physical issues lately tied to his NFL career and then the mental health stuff mixed in.  He's been a good Eagle. Whatever the outcome, I wish him luck.

If that was the case, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t just say so. But it’s possible.

On 12/26/2021 at 4:47 AM, time2rock said:

According to Spotrac.com for the 2022 season Brooks has $1,564,737 of Signing Bonus still due, $5,040,000 of Option Bonus still due, and $9,132,000 of Restructure Bonus still due.  That totals to $15, 736,474 of Dead Cap if he is released.  At the same time his 2022 Base Salary of $13,400,000 and Workout Bonus of $100,000 will not have to be paid, so the net Cap impact of cutting him is only $2,236,474 of net Dead Cap.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mattwill said:

According to Spotrac.com for the 2022 season Brooks has $1,564,737 of Signing Bonus still due, $5,040,000 of Option Bonus still due, and $9,132,000 of Restructure Bonus still due.  That totals to $15, 736,474 of Dead Cap if he is released.  At the same time his 2022 Base Salary of $13,400,000 and Workout Bonus of $100,000 will not have to be paid, so the net Cap impact of cutting him is only $2,236,474 of net Dead Cap.

If that is the case then thanks for the memories Brandon. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mattwill said:

I wonder what accounts for the difference in the OTC figures (which is where I got them from).  

33 minutes ago, mattwill said:

tumblr_pu6q3cLe1k1xy9vvgo1_640.gifv

So long BB!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

I wonder what accounts for the difference in the OTC figures (which is where I got them from).  

The OTC numbers are the same, just grouped differently.  Their Prorated Bonus numbers total to $15,736,472, which is $2 different.  That is the Dead Cap amount.  They also have the Base Salary amount as the same $13,400,000, which is avoided if he is cut ... and the Workout Bonus as $100,000, which also is avoided.  The math of $15,736,472 minus $13,500.000 is $2,236,472.  Im not sure how they caclulate their $3,702,763 net (to the good) amount.  That appears to be a $5,939,235 difference in the Eagles favor.

• Like 1