Nick Sirianni and Shane Steichen Using Orbit Motion in Clever Ways

time2rock

Nick Sirianni and Shane Steichen Using Orbit Motion in Clever Ways

kinkead.thumb.JPG.b6a039f945b7f8f98ad37569b48c2844.JPG

In recent Eagles games, you may have noticed more pre-snap motion with a player running behind the quarterback.

That’s called "orbit motion,” and it’s something for the defense to think about. Is that player a target for a swing pass? Is he a decoy? Who is going with him and who is staying home? It adds another wrinkle to the Birds’ RPO and zone read set of plays.

Off the top of my head, there were at least three of these looks in the Washington game, and while the first one didn’t go so well, they stuck with it and had success with the other two.

A swing pass for Miles Sanders on the strong side. My only issue there is he’s catching the ball five yards behind the line of scrimmage, and if you don’t execute those in a bang-bang type of way, then the blocking receivers have a LOT to do. In this case, it gets blown up for no gain.

The second one was fantastic though:  CLICK ON LINK TO ARTICLE BELOW TO VIEW VIDEOS

There are a few things going on here.

First, they put Quez Watkins into orbit motion, which results in his guy chasing him around. It’s man coverage in single-high safety, five WFT players on the line. They then go run/pass option while reading the opposite side defensive end. When that end collapses on the hand off option, Hurts pulls the ball and throws it to the other running back, who snuck through, for a big gain:

kinkead2.JPG.7fae109f2dacb4c50d0a8eb61fd5767b.JPG

The final tidbit there is the lone receiver is running a slantish/inside route to clear his man out of the way and give room to the pass catcher to run. Really pretty stuff. Love it.

Here’s the last one:  CLICK ON LINK TO ARTICLE BELOW TO VIEW VIDEOS

This is very similar to what you saw in play #2, but they bring in Slay to be the decoy here, and they are instead going with one tailback instead of split backs. But it’s the same idea; Slay is motioning off the right hash and Hurts is reading the defensive end on the other side. In this case, the end stays home, so he simply hands the ball off instead for a big run.

It’s creative and fun stuff. The orbit motions themselves are more like eye candy, though they will throw the occasional pass to that person. More often than not, it’s something else for the defense to think about before the Eagles option off an unblocked player on the other side, and Hurts does a really nice job of making those reads. He did a ton of it in college at both Alabama and Oklahoma, so it’s a strong suit for him. There are a lot of ways you can scheme up these multi-option plays, and Sirianni and Steichen have really done a great job with this in recent weeks.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2021/12/nick-sirianni-and-shane-steichen-using-orbit-motion-in-clever-ways.html

I loved the idea of throwing Slay in there on that one play. Hoping they were setting something up for a future play where he actually gets the ball. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nipples said:

I loved the idea of throwing Slay in there on that one play. Hoping they were setting something up for a future play where he actually gets the ball. 

Agreed. I hope they do a little more of that and get creative. It threw the defense as they weren't sure what was going on and what to do. 

I like the pre snap motion stuff too. It is clever and effective because we have such a potent run game.