Gannon to become a head coach elsewhere next year?

Talonblood

Read about it earlier and was going to post, but changed my mind. I’m sure some in the fan base wouldn’t mind seeing him gone. I personally think he would be smart to wait, and see how things go when the Eagles get him some talent, but if a team is willing to make him their coach then he’s gone. 

• Like 1

Not even the offseason yet and we're getting into silly season with rumors.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Talonblood said:

I have my doubts he is head coach material, but stranger things have happened. Your thoughts?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rumors-eagles-jonathan-gannon-getting-head-coach-buzz

It's a rumor, and his defenses have not stopped any good quarterbacks.  Still there are some really clueless owners out there who might overlook all of this.  After all, the Bears traded up to draft Mitch Tributsky, and a few years later, to draft Justin Fields.

• Like 1

I think it says a lot about what the rest of the league thinks of the eagles personnel on Defense.

Gannon doesn't have much to work with on D yet has gotten I think the most out of what little he has.

I could see NFL owners GMs being impressed with that.

I wouldn't hire him as a head coach on that alone but then again the only thing I hire is some dude to trim my trees so...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

I think it says a lot about what the rest of the league thinks of the eagles personnel on Defense.

Gannon doesn't have much to work with on D yet has gotten I think the most out of what little he has.

I could see NFL owners GMs being impressed with that.

I wouldn't hire him as a head coach on that alone but then again the only thing I hire is some dude to trim my trees so...

Not so sure I buy the "league thinks the Eagles has weak personnel” narrative.  My recollection is the Eagles were widely thought to have a very good defensive line before the season and one of the best cornerbacks in the league.

What is true, though, is that the Eagles defense is 4th in the league in lowest yards against per attempt in passing … and 4th in lowest yards against per attempt in rushing.  No other team ranks that high in both.  That is excellent, especially when you consider that includes games against teams ranked in passing yards per attempt 2nd, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th and 14th, and in rushing yards per attempt 5th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th.

I could definitely see other front offices being impressed with that.

On the other hand, they are next to last in sacks and only 19th in interceptions.  So it seems like a bit of a mixed bag to me.  Given his age and experience, I would love to poach him as a defensive coordinator … but I’d be iffy as a head coach.

But like you, I am not in the business of hiring football coaches, and I am sure a lot of things fans have no idea about come into play on those kinds of decisions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BayAreaLennie said:

Not so sure I buy the "league thinks the Eagles has weak personnel” narrative.  My recollection is the Eagles were widely thought to have a very good defensive line before the season (yet there is only one team with less sacks).  It was also understood they had one of the best cornerbacks in the league (yet they are tied for just 19th in interceptions).

What is also true, though, is that the Eagles defense is 4th in the league in lowest yards against per attempt in passing … and 4th in lowest yards against per attempt in rushing.  No other team ranks that high in both.  That is excellent, especially when you consider that includes games against teams ranked in passing yards per attempt 2nd, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 11th and 14th, and in rushing yards per attempt 5th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th.

I could definitely see other front offices being impressed with that.

Difference being in what they thought beginning of the year to what they think now 

I don't think anyone could predict cox falling off a cliff 

Everyone knew the secondary especially the safeties would be weak and it's been well established that eagles don't value LB so mist pundits were pointing to the strength of the D line, sadly as average as the D line has been without graham they're still the teams best defensive unit 

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Difference being in what they thought beginning of the year to what they think now 

I don't think anyone could predict cox falling off a cliff 

Everyone knew the secondary especially the safeties would be weak and it's been well established that eagles don't value LB so mist pundits were pointing to the strength of the D line, sadly as average as the D line has been without graham they're still the teams best defensive unit 

Fair enough.  But the LBs have been better than expected, and it’s not clear to me that Cox’s perceived decline isn’t more due to scheme than a genuine cliff dive.  Ultimately, I don’t think other FOs think we are a top unit in terms of talent, but I don’t think they think we’re bottom of the barrel either.

• Like 1

Thanks for your insights. I don't think this guy is head coach material- he doesn't even have peach fuzz yet. 🤣

I'm not sure why he's apparently in the running to be a HC somewhere next year but I'm OK with it. If he goes he goes I'm not sure we can say he'd be a loss. 

I’m not the president of his fan club, but I’m not hell bent on getting him on the next flight out either. He’s a young coach, and we don’t have the greatest talent across the board on defense. Hopefully, Howie gets some help on that side of the ball, and Gannon can grow into a more aggressive coordinator. Of course, Howie doing his part is a tall order in itself. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BayAreaLennie said:

Fair enough.  But the LBs have been better than expected, and it’s not clear to me that Cox’s perceived decline isn’t more due to scheme than a genuine cliff dive.  Ultimately, I don’t think other FOs think we are a top unit in terms of talent, but I don’t think they think we’re bottom of the barrel either.

I would buy that with Cox, except he’s been in decline for a couple years now. 

He may get an interview and he may interview well, but in my book, he needs to demonstrate that his defense can successfully square off against a good quarterback.  We haven't seen that yet.

Still, there are plenty of bonehead owners out there who will hire a coach based on the strength of his interview and not necessarily on his body of work.  After all, the Giants hired Joe Judge, and it looks like they're sticking with him.  :roll:

5 hours ago, Perforator said:

Once we stop playing pee wee league quarterbacks all this talk will stop.

This. He's faced some bad QBs lately which rose his stock

5 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

This. He's faced some bad QBs lately which rose his stock

One advantage of having a last place schedule.  If we make the playoffs we’ll see if he has learned anything from earlier in the season when the defense was continually gashed facing top offenses/QBs.

I like Gannon. Always did. Despite all the criticism from the fans. Is he a head coach material??? I am not sure that he is...Yet. Not enough experience managing other coaches, all phases of the team. But stranger things have happened. Special team coaches promoted to head coach. I guess we will see what happens. My 2 arguments for him staying, are League is trying to promote more minority coaches, and Eagles should be drafting a lot of quality defensive players in the next few years. Something new to work with and get more experience before diving off the coaches board in the Ocean of responsibility of the head coach. Not everyone wants to be a head coach and are perfectly content with being good at their job.