Gannon better change his ways....

Portyansky

... if we want any shot at all. Allowing WFT to even have a chance late in the game is dumb. Instead of forcing them into mistakes he waited for them to make one. Luckily McLeod had new gloves on.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Gannon just needs to go. Simple as. He's a bad bad DC.

No, he’s not. He’s really frustrating, but he’s not terrible. I think it’s even arguable that our Defense is over performing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, vaff said:

No, he’s not. He’s really frustrating, but he’s not terrible. I think it’s even arguable that our Defense is over performing.

I don't think there's an argument for that at all. He's bad, really bad. He's not creative, his blitzes are awful and he doesn't blitz that much. His defense is soft and that's because he's soft. 

• Like 2

I don't think there's an argument for that at all. He's bad, really bad. He's not creative, his blitzes are awful and he doesn't blitz that much. His defense is soft and that's because he's soft. 

Have you actually looked at our defensive numbers? We’ve 5th in yards per game and 12th in points per game.

Nobody expected the defense to even be decent this year.

• Like 1

Just now, vaff said:

Have you actually looked at our defensive numbers? We’ve 5th in yards per game and 12th in points per game.

Nobody expected the defense to even be decent this year.

Have you actually looked at the offenses we have played? Have you looked at who the 9 wins have come against? 

• Like 2

I just don’t think Gannon has the horses he needs for a top flight defense, but he really needs to be more aggressive with what he has. They don’t blitz enough.

• Like 4

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

I just don’t think Gannon has the horses he needs for a top flight defense, but he really needs to be more aggressive with what he has. They don’t blitz enough.

He may not... But I think he's got talent on defense!

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Have you actually looked at the offenses we have played? Have you looked at who the 9 wins have come against? 

Yes. Very aware. But the guy does what he sets out to do. We eliminate big plays. Last few years we’ve given up tons of big plays. This year we give up none. Last few years people criticized our CB’s endlessly. This year, there have been no issues, and Slay is playing like a pro bowler again. Gannon has his flaws, his willingness to give up all the underneath stuff, which can be super frustrating. But he has his strengths as well. 

• Like 2

Just now, vaff said:

Yes. Very aware. But the guy does what he sets out to do. We eliminate big plays. Last few years we’ve given up tons of big plays. This year we give up none. Last few years people criticized our CB’s endlessly. This year, there have been no issues, and Slay is playing like a pro bowler again. Gannon has his flaws, his willingness to give up all the underneath stuff, which can be super frustrating. But he has his strengths as well. 

Slay has had a big year there's no doubt but I give Slay a ton of credit for that. It's not like he was a bum and suddenly he's a Pro Bowler. Gannon is a bad DC and I won't be convinced otherwise until I see him stopping good offenses.

he's not the greatest but the offense wasn't any better either. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NCTANK said:

i’d love to see them find a way to get more pressure on the QB. that’s all i ask.

He needs to blitz more.

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He may not... But I think he's got talent on defense!

Some talent, but they need more. He does need to be more aggressive. They need more pass rush, and a linebacker more capable in coverage. They could use a safety and a better corner than Nelson. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Slay has had a big year there's no doubt but I give Slay a ton of credit for that. It's not like he was a bum and suddenly he's a Pro Bowler. Gannon is a bad DC and I won't be convinced otherwise until I see him stopping good offenses.

Obviously, Slay deserves most of the credit. But give Gannon credit for putting him in positions to succeed, which is his job.

He’s a first time DC, and the numbers don’t indicate he’s a bum. And his reputation around the league doesn’t seem to indicate that, as well. I think you’re being much too harsh, given the circumstances.

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Some talent, but they need more. He does need to be more aggressive. They need more pass rush, and a linebacker more capable in coverage. They could use a safety and a better corner than Nelson. 

Thing is... I get the argument that he does need more talent and I agree. But he also needs to do more with what he has. I don't see it from him. 

• Like 1

Thing is... I get the argument that he does need more talent and I agree. But he also needs to do more with what he has. I don't see it from him. 

I agree. I think he needs to get more pressure on opposing quarterbacks. He doesn’t blitz enough. He lets these guys get too comfortable out there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

He needs to blitz more.

yup. even though we rely on our Line to get home, sooner or later need to bring extra pressure in certain situations.

• Like 1

Just now, GroundAttack said:

yup. even though we rely on our Line to get home, sooner or later need to bring extra pressure in certain situations.

He’s letting these quarterbacks just sit back there. His line isn’t getting enough pressure on its own. He needs to be more aggressive especially on third down. He’s about to start facing the best of the best quarterbacks. He needs to pressure them into mistakes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I agree. I think he needs to get more pressure on opposing quarterbacks. He doesn’t blitz enough. He lets these guys get too comfortable out there. 

Yeah and that's my issue. He doesn't blitz enough and when he does it doesn't have a lot of success. I just don't think he's very good or very creative. 

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah and that's my issue. He doesn't blitz enough and when he does it doesn't have a lot of success. I just don't think he's very good or very creative. 

People in the NFL circles claim he's very bright. I just hope we don't blow out a good coach, because of impatience. They ran McDermott off too soon and we ended up with Juan as the DC. 

• Like 3

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

People in the NFL circles claim he's very bright. I just hope we don't blow out a good coach, because of impatience. They ran McDermott off too soon and we ended up with Juan as the DC. 

I just don't see it. He's not shown us any of that so far. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just don't see it. He's not shown us any of that so far. 

Thoughts aren’t facts, though. Just because you don’t think it’s happening, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not happening.

Just now, vaff said:

Thoughts aren’t facts, though. Just because you don’t think it’s happening, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not happening.

And stats (i.e. the facts) can be misleading.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And stats (i.e. the facts) can be misleading.

Sure.

I’m just saying, though. If you’ve ever been to a mental health professional, they teach you about flaws in thought patterns. Things like what I have been saying in this thread: just because you think something — doesn’t necessarily mean it’s true, things aren’t all good or all bad, etc.

• Like 1