Are You Sold On Hurts For 2022?

D-Shiznit

Are You Sold On Hurts For 2022?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Sold On Hurts For 2022?

• Yes - We doubled our wins and are playoff bound with him as QB.
    • No - He is too limited as a passer, I want a new QB next year (Draft/Trade/Minshew).
    • Maybe - Will see how he does in the playoffs.

Since the majority of the Philly media, twitter, reddit etc seems to be sold on him for next year, taking a temperature check in here on him since we clinched our Playoff spot.

For me, I'm not completely sold, I think how we do in the post-season will be the determining factor. If we are 1 and done, then I think we should explore our trade options, but if we win a playoff game, even with a sub-par performance from him, then I'm all in for a Hurts led team next year.

Maybe, see how he does in the playoffs and if it’s against the Buc’s, have their DB’s gotten healthy vs the first time the Eagles played them?    
 They had an old Richard Sherman playing because of injuries and he left the game early, (3rd string DB’s in that game) so this time it would be nice to see Hurts exploit a weakness if it is one.      
 I have a feeling he’s going to be throwing more than usual in the playoff game just because the Eagles defense hasn’t seen a legit, NFL QB, since Bridgewater, that’s a long time, and it’s not like Teddy B has a big arm.  Hopefully Dak plays this week so the Defense gets used to an actual NFL offense heading into the playoffs. 
 After that, it depends on how he plays, who’s available and the cost to get them. 

I love the guy, but don’t love the QB. With that being said, though I still have doubts about him long-term, I do feel he’s earned the right to be the incumbent for next year but still have to compete in TC. 

• Like 1

To me it seems like Hurts is the perfect quarterback for this city. Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he’s arrived or anything yet, but the way he can just shrug off all the hate and just keep on going is highly commendable. This isn’t a guy who will flake from a quarterback controversy or if the Eagles waste a pick drafting a quarterback. He’s just gonna keep on doing his thing while the doubters keep doubting. One thing is for sure I don’t see THIS quarterback having a career worst season because the Eagles drafted some competition. 

• Like 1

We knew he wasn't a great passer and makes questionable throws. He was very good in the WFT game. He seems like a player that is willing to learn and get better. 

Isn't this basically the same as the other  2022 thread? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Isn't this basically the same as the other  2022 thread? 

Bottom line it doesn’t matter if anyone is sold on him. The Eagles aren’t moving on from him after this season. People need to just suck it up and deal with that truth. Hurts will be the quarterback in 2022. Heck he’s already the quarterback in 2022. 

3 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

original.gif

26DE7454-B590-4616-8E73-9F2A1CD33352.jpeg.a4f8344b444a0c8e5637c352e6f184ab.jpeg

I voted for the wrong option. I meant to select maybe but instead selected no. 

Honestly I don't know if he's the answer or not. The likelihood is that he's not the answer but given we still don't know I think he should get more time.

Look if there was a true stud prospect in the draft that we could get then sure go and get them. If there was a legit QB who we could trade for that wasn't an older guy, come with a huge huge contract and/or cost the earth to trade for then sure go get them.

But that's not the situation and so I think we should add talent to this roster (which badly needs it still) and wait another year with Hurts. 

• Like 1

I am not crazy about any of the options in the poll.

Am I sold on him?  No, not really.  He does some things very well, and other things not so well.

Do I think he is likely to be their best option for 2022?  Yes.  The free agent QBs likely to be available are not better than Hurts, the veterans who are likely to be available in trade this offseason do not appeal to me, especially at the likely cost in terms of draft capital, and the prospects who are likely to be available in the draft do not seem like they are better options.

All in all, he has shown that you can win games with him, but not necessarily that you can win a championship ... and ultimately, you need a QB who can win a championship.  Could he be that?  Maybe, maybe not.  This was his first season as a starter in the NFL, and as mentioned, there have been some good things and some not-so-good things ... given the QB landscape, he has at least earned the right to come back as a second season starter and see if he can improve on those things in which he has not excelled.

• Like 1

Oh absolutely, If Hurts flops Eagles would have flopped as well, so we would be picking hopefully in the top 10 to get the franchise QB.

Meanwhile, all 3 x 1st round picks for the coming year must GO ON DEFENSE and NOT Deshaun Watson (with or without his massage able), Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I’m not sold on him as the long term answer yet, but I think he’s made enough progress to keep him around as the starter again next year to see if he continues to progress. 

It’s a weak QB draft so I have no interest in trading picks to move up for one. And I sure as hell don’t want to trade a bunch of first rounders for Rodgers/Wilson/Watson. 

• Like 1

Anybody think that Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance or Justin Fields have earned the right to start next year?  

The WORST thing a GM can do for a franchise is put them on a QB carousel.  Like Hurts, NONE of them should have been on the field this year, none were ready or they had such a bad supporting cast, that they were just trying to survive, let alone be productive.

Hurts has developed pretty well over the course of the year......and he's starting to get better in his biggest areas of weakness.  

What do you want in a young QB? . He can and, I believe, will get better and better as time goes on.....it would be simply stupid and short sighted to go for the next "project".....

So my answer is a resounding YES.....he should be the eagles QB next year.......and Howie has absolutely no reason to draft a QB.

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Bottom line it doesn’t matter if anyone is sold on him. The Eagles aren’t moving on from him after this season. People need to just suck it up and deal with that truth. Hurts will be the quarterback in 2022. Heck he’s already the quarterback in 2022. 

Your half right ... indeed it doesn't matter if any of us are sold on him, all that matters is what Howie and Lurie think (and guessing to a lesser extent Sirianni).  We can't say with any level of certainty that we aren't moving on from him after this season.  I fear having 3 first round picks will present too much temptation to make a splash move to do what is smart.  

The only "long term answer" the eagles need is next year.  

All this "long term answer" and "franchise QB" talk after a draft or one full season is just horsesh--.  You don't draft a "franchise QB", you develop one......which becomes the "long term answer".  

Hurts has all the tools.....but his fate lies in the hands of a GM who has fallen for the "lightning in a bottle" philosophy of NFL GMs and owners.  That why the NFL is a QB meat grinder.  Few organizations have the patience to let a good coach develop a young QB.  

Teams end up drafting a QB, throwing him in right away and then firing the coach after 1 year and the kid has to learn another offense.....assuming the new coach wants him as his QB.

It's why teams like the jets, browns, texans, jags and the foreskins are always searching for a QB.......constant HC changes and burning all kinds of draft assets looking for the next big thing.

Look at Minshew's numbers......pretty dam impressive....but because he played for a disaster of a team and gets jags record glued to his resume, and because he was a 6th round pick, he may never get a full shot at being a starter.  Even though he is better than half the starting QBs in the league.

So, my question is, what the hell are you looking for in a QB?  Because like most fans and media, you're cherry picking all the good traits of a QB and expecting some QB to fill all those immediately.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Your half right ... indeed it doesn't matter if any of us are sold on him, all that matters is what Howie and Lurie think (and guessing to a lesser extent Sirianni).  We can't say with any level of certainty that we aren't moving on from him after this season.  I fear having 3 first round picks will present too much temptation to make a splash move to do what is smart.  

The temptation can still be there, but the people Howie may want also needs to want to come here too. We already know Wilson’s preferred options have available quarterback positions. I highly doubt Rodgers would ever come here and I doubt Green Bay if they indeed traded him would let him go to another NFC team. We also know Watson has already turned the Eagles down. He would have the most negative response from the fan base anyway. Also this is bigger than just the picks. We are also talking about all three guys taking massive chunks of the salary cap as well. There’s always rumors of the Eagles and Howie making some big move. Tell me when has Howie ever given up multiple high draftpicks and salary cap space for a veteran player? It’s also the part that people seem to ignore as well and that’s the fact Hurts is an Eagles selection himself. How many times have we watched lesser first and second round picks by this team get chance after chance, but now after Hurts takes them to the playoffs they pull the plug on him? Nah they might not be sold on Hurts completely, but they’re not going to simply toss him now. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The temptation can still be there, but the people Howie may want also needs to want to come here too. We already know Wilson’s preferred options have available quarterback positions. I highly doubt Rodgers would ever come here and I doubt Green Bay if they indeed traded him would let him go to another NFC team. We also know Watson has already turned the Eagles down. He would have the most negative response from the fan base anyway. Also this is bigger than just the picks. We are also talking about all three guys taking massive chunks of the salary cap as well. There’s always rumors of the Eagles and Howie making some big move. Tell me when has Howie ever given up multiple high draftpicks and salary cap space for a veteran player? It’s also the part that people seem to ignore as well and that’s the fact Hurts is an Eagles selection himself. How many times have we watched lesser first and second round picks by this team get chance after chance, but now after Hurts takes them to the playoffs they pull the plug on him? Nah they might not be sold on Hurts completely, but they’re not going to simply toss him now. 

I don't disagree with any of that as it relates to acquiring a vet QB (although again, you can't say with 100% certainty that it won't happen), but there is also the draft to take into consideration.  

Look, I am fully on board with the plan to roll with Hurts in 2022 to continue monitoring his development and use those picks to add talented playmakers to other areas of the roster where there are plenty of positions in need (or 2 of the 1s and try to trade one to acquire another 2023 1 ... just in case).  And I sure hope that is how it plays out.  But knowing how Howie likes to operate, I also know you cannot rule those other scenarios out.  I have next to zero faith in him doing the right smart thing.  

• Like 1

There isn't a day 1 starter coming out of college this year and it looks like we're picking in the twenties anyway. Hurts has improved over the year and has proved he can get us there, assuming we get the players to let Gannon play good defense from the 1st kick off and better supporting cast, I'd pick up a late round project QB for depth and roll with Hurts next year.

If at the end of next year we're still not 100% but we're sat on a winning record again you have got a decision to make. 

Just now, time2rock said:

I don't disagree with any of that as it relates to acquiring a vet QB (although again, you can't say with 100% certainty that it won't happen), but there is also the draft to take into consideration.  

Look, I am fully on board with the plan to roll with Hurts in 2022 to continue monitoring his development and use those picks to add talented playmakers to other areas of the roster where there are plenty of positions in need (or 2 of the 1s and try to trade one to acquire another 2023 1 ... just in case).  And I sure hope that is how it plays out.  But knowing how Howie likes to operate, I also know you cannot rule those other scenarios out.  I have next to zero faith in him doing the right smart thing.  

I get the Howie concern. Honestly whatever they choose as a fan I will support it. That’s why I believe it really isn’t up to the fans. Personally I think Howie is more likely to try and trade one or two of these firsts for a future one. It’s more likely the "quarterback factory” drafts another quarterback than trades for one IMO, but I don’t think it’s going to be a first round guy. The bottom line is we have never seen Roseman with this much draft capital before, but I have heard him on numerous occasions comment on how difficult it was to develop a team, because of the lost picks from the Wentz deal. Howie is the type who likes to "win the deal.” 

25 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I get the Howie concern. Honestly whatever they choose as a fan I will support it. That’s why I believe it really isn’t up to the fans. Personally I think Howie is more likely to try and trade one or two of these firsts for a future one. It’s more likely the "quarterback factory” drafts another quarterback than trades for one IMO, but I don’t think it’s going to be a first round guy. The bottom line is we have never seen Roseman with this much draft capital before, but I have heard him on numerous occasions comment on how difficult it was to develop a team, because of the lost picks from the Wentz deal. Howie is the type who likes to "win the deal.” 

If we draft a QB I sure as heck hope it isn't a day 1 or 2 pick ... use those high picks to restock the roster with some young talent.  If they use a day 3 pick on a QB prospect to begin grooming (as a potential backup) so be it.  

I also don't think we need to trade 2 of our 1s in the upcoming draft - I'd like to add 2 players on defense (or 1 and someone like Linderbaum would work too).  But that also depends on who is available when we pick (would hate to have to settle on another Marcus Smith type of player again).  Having 2 x 1s in 2023 is more than enough ammo to make a run at a QB if the need is still there without needing to give up too much in the way of future draft capital.  

You can't ask for more growth than he displayed.  If Howie and the Eagles want to hedge their bets, trade one of those 1st rdrs into next yr so you can have the ammo to get a Qb if needed for 2023.