One Way to Spend 2 of 3 First Round Picks

EaglesAddict

This might be categorized for "I want the Eagles to Get"...but I thought it would be an interesting topic to think about or debate.  If we mostly agree that adding a blue-chip free agent talent at WR will be high on Howie's free agency to-do list, what would you think about this?

Assuming Davante Adams gets franchise-tagged (as is rumored) and Aaron Rodgers leaves Green Bay (because if he stays, no way Adams leaves), would you try to pry Adams away from GB by signing him and having to give up 2 first rounds picks?  We'd still have a "normal" draft haul after a move like this and obviously Adams is a stud.  But, is he worth that price for this team for next season?  

The thought is definitely tantalizing to have him paired with Smith.  Our offense could be a juggernaut just by adding him.  And, draft picks are dart throws, right? 

We need 3-4 Starters on Defense. Please use them 1st rounders on Defense.

Adams wants to play with his boy Carr doesn't he?

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

This might be categorized for "I want the Eagles to Get"...but I thought it would be an interesting topic to think about or debate.  If we mostly agree that adding a blue-chip free agent talent at WR will be high on Howie's free agency to-do list, what would you think about this?

Assuming Davante Adams gets franchise-tagged (as is rumored) and Aaron Rodgers leaves Green Bay (because if he stays, no way Adams leaves), would you try to pry Adams away from GB by signing him and having to give up 2 first rounds picks?  We'd still have a "normal" draft haul after a move like this and obviously Adams is a stud.  But, is he worth that price for this team for next season?  

The thought is definitely tantalizing to have him paired with Smith.  Our offense could be a juggernaut just by adding him.  And, draft picks are dart throws, right? 

If Rogers comes with yes.

What's the point of having a too flight highly paid receiver if the QB can't get him the ball?

Ones whole offense is built around running the ball and limiting the opportunities the QB has to throw.

The eagles have used consecutive 1st round picks on WR and hurts can barely get them the ball and you want to sign a top WR for big money so hurts can what, barely get the ball to Adams and ignore Smith?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No.  That would be a seriously waste of draft equity...especially with this QB.  

All of the draft picks on WR Howie has made the last 4 years and we are still looking for a WR.  That says I need I need to know about Howie's drafting.  

So you condemn Howie's drafting, but want to keep the extra draft picks for Howie to...draft players...instead of acquiring a proven stud?  

Either way, I think Howie will be in the market for a vet WR in FA.  If they roll with Hurts, he will try to support him by adding a proven playmaker at WR.  I can almost guarantee this will happen.

• Haha 1

I've stated in other threads, no way am I giving up multiple 1s for any position other than a QB (in any given year ... though I don't want this to be the year we make a move for a QB).  

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Utebird said:

If Rogers comes with yes.

What's the point of having a too flight highly paid receiver if the QB can't get him the ball?

Ones whole offense is built around running the ball and limiting the opportunities the QB has to throw.

The eagles have used consecutive 1st round picks on WR and hurts can barely get them the ball and you want to sign a top WR for big money so hurts can what, barely get the ball to Adams and ignore Smith?

I would argue that adding Adams would help a QB like Hurts.  Hurts doesn't "suck", but he definitely needs to be surrounded by talent.  I believe adding a WR of Adams' skill level would enhance Hurts' skillset.  

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I've stated in other threads, no way am I giving up multiple 1s for any position other than a QB (in any given year ... I don't want this to be the year we make a move for a QB).  

While I agree with that, I do think it's fair to think about it this way: If our 3 first rounders are mid-late picks...and Howie's draft prowess isn't good (to put it mildly), wouldn't it make sense to use the "extra" picks for a proven stud?  Howie may stink at the draft, but he's fared decently in free agency.  

I'm not saying I would definitely do this, by the way. Just merely a thought that sounds, at the least, interesting to me.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I don't want Howie making the picks.  But that's not going to happen.  What I do know, is that we need defense at all levels.  And throwing away that kind of equity on a WR, when you have a running QB, is just dumb.  

Getting a proven WR in FA makes sense and that's the route I would hope they would go.  And just because Hurts is here next year, doesn't mean they think he's the long term answer.  This draft if devoid of top QB talent, unfortunately.  

What I would do:  

Roll with Hurts and Minshew for 2022

Draft the BPA defensive player with two of the first rounders.

Try an trade the other 1st for 2023 picks.

Hope that a stud QB is available in the 2023 draft.

Sign a mid level FA WR

Draft another WR in the 2-4th round

I can guarantee you that we are not trading two firsts for a WR.  That would be dumb, even for Lowie's standards.  

That's a solid take.  But the NFL is year to year.  If, say, they couldn't land a WR like Allen Robinson (washed?), Chris Godwin (injured) or Mike Williams in FA but could get Adams while still having a normal amount of draft picks, I think they would consider doing something like that.  Of course, that would only be if the team believed Hurts was "their guy" and wanted to maximize his potential for next year.  

6 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

I would argue that adding Adams would help a QB like Hurts.  Hurts doesn't "suck", but he definitely needs to be surrounded by talent.  I believe adding a WR of Adams' skill level would enhance Hurts' skillset.  

If hurts skill set was being able to consistently read defenses and throw the ball then yeah I agree.

He hasn't shown to have that skill set 

Id argue that yeah the eagles would be better at WR and having a guy like Adams would possibly help hurts, and to what end?

Does the team get better? Does adding a top WR to an offense that is built around running the ball really help much?

If anything it's a poor use of resources as one is pouring more resources into a position that isn't highly utilized while taking away from resources that could be used on other positions of greater need like Defense 

1 minute ago, EaglesAddict said:

While I agree with that, I do think it's fair to think about it this way: If our 3 first rounders are mid-late picks...and Howie's draft prowess isn't good (to put it mildly), wouldn't it make sense to use the "extra" picks for a proven stud?  Howie may stink at the draft, but he's fared decently in free agency.  

I'm not saying I would definitely do this, by the way. Just merely a thought that sounds, at the least, interesting to me.

Still a no for me.  Another thing to take into consideration is age ... Adams turns 30 this year.  I would never entertain the thought of giving up so much for a player likely to start declining in a year or 2 (or 3).  I think the smart strategy is to try to move one of those picks to acquire a 2023 1st and then roll the dice on a couple of players with the other 2 and hope for the best.  

I've seen other teams give up a lot for a WR and it rarely makes a difference.  

• Like 3

If the team is going to use all three picks, you use them for defense.  

30 year old WR for two first round picks when you could conceivably put the crummy Eagles D back on the right path? 

Let's not use the first rounders for band aid players.  A 30 year old player is essentially a band aid for this team.  This team is not a WR away from contending.  By the time they have a chance to improve other parts of the team, Adams will be 33?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the only positions the Eagles DON’T need is WR. What are you talking about?

(That being said, if a WR like Olave is clearly "Best Player on the Board” you unfortunately have to consider him.)

37 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Still a no for me.  Another thing to take into consideration is age ... Adams turns 30 this year.  I would never entertain the thought of giving up so much for a player likely to start declining in a year or 2 (or 3).  I think the smart strategy is to try to move one of those picks to acquire a 2023 1st and then roll the dice on a couple of players with the other 2 and hope for the best.  

I've seen other teams give up a lot for a WR and it rarely makes a difference.  

3 minutes ago, SB52 said:

One of the only positions the Eagles DON’T need is WR. What are you talking about?

(That being said, if a WR like Olave is clearly "Best Player on the Board” you unfortunately have to consider him.)

Yeah wide receiver is one of the most overrated positions in football. The top WRs in the league have rarely won Super Bowls (Adams included, despite playing with a generational QB for 8 years.

Having said that the Eagles do need to add at WR. Not a star and not another first rounder (given the needs on D and the fact we have used our last 2 first round picks). But we should be looking hard at the good WR2s in free agency. (Might be interesting to steal Gallup or Wilson from the Cowboys). 

Smith looks good as the number 1 and should continue to develop. Watkins would be okay as a WR3/4, but you don't want him as WR2, particularly if Smith gets hurt. Reagor should stick around, but it's more about hope rather than expectation with him at the moment. 

Definitely address in free agency, but the top two should and will be out of reach.

Howie is not going to use all 3 of those 1st round picks because:

1- Because he's probably not completely convinced on Hurts, so he's going to push one of those picks out to next year.

2- Howie likes "value"......so he's going to entertain trading down with one of those 1st rounders to get 2-3 2nd and 3rd round picks for this year and next.

3- Howie simply doesn't draft linebackers in the 1st round......he'll take a defensive end or corner.

So the eagles are in a position to add big talent to a needy defense, but howie's view of the team's needs are always based on trying to outsmart everybody else.

13 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Having said that the Eagles do need to add at WR. Not a star and not another first rounder (given the needs on D and the fact we have used our last 2 first round picks). But we should be looking hard at the good WR2s in free agency. (Might be interesting to steal Gallup or Wilson from the Cowboys). 

Smith looks good as the number 1 and should continue to develop. Watkins would be okay as a WR3/4, but you don't want him as WR2, particularly if Smith gets hurt. Reagor should stick around, but it's more about hope rather than expectation with him at the moment. 

Definitely address in free agency, but the top two should and will be out of reach.

I most certainly agree WR is still a need and am on record in numerous threads stating such and my preference to do so with a vet FA, not with another 1st rd draft pick (and definitely not with trading multiple 1s for a 30 year old).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

I most certainly agree WR is still a need and am on record in numerous threads stating such and my preference to do so with a vet FA, not with another 1st rd draft pick (and definitely not with trading multiple 1s for a 30 year old).  

Yeah I was speaking more to the other guy on his view that it isn't a need. I agree with you that Adams/another first rounder would be unwise!

• Like 1

Sorry don’t even see the point of giving up 2 first for a 30 year old wide receiver. The Eagles didn’t even give that up for an elite corner in his prime or a defensive end in his prime. Seriously can anyone tell me a time when Howie made any of these big splash trades that people keep proposing? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Sorry don’t even see the point of giving up 2 first for a 30 year old wide receiver. The Eagles didn’t even give that up for an elite corner in his prime or a defensive end in his prime. Seriously can anyone tell me a time when Howie made any of these big splash trades that people keep proposing? 

The last time we made that big of a splash was when we traded for Peters (a 1st plus) and that was the year before Roseman was promoted to GM.  That refers only to trading for a player ... not maneuvering in the draft like he did for Wentz.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

The last time we made that big of a splash was when we traded for Peters (a 1st plus) and that was the year before Roseman was promoted to GM.  That refers only to trading for a player ... not maneuvering in the draft like he did for Wentz.  

That’s my point. The perception is that Howie is always making moves like this when he’s never made a move like this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

That’s my point. The perception is that Howie is always making moves like this when he’s never made a move like this. 

I think it is a much more likely scenario Howie either trades up to get a QB (likely involving multiple 1s) or deals a truckload of picks to acquire someone like Wilson.  Either one of those will likely lead to me having to purchase a new TV the next day.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, time2rock said:

I think it is a much more likely scenario Howie either trades up to get a QB (likely involving multiple 1s) or deals a truckload of picks to acquire someone like Wilson.  Either one of those will likely lead to me having to purchase a new TV the next day.  :lol:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I just don’t see Howie going obsessive over getting a quarterback. Yes we know his love for Wilson, but I highly doubt he’s giving up 2-3 first round picks to get him. That’s not the winning the deal style Howie is used to. Now we have seen him jump to the top of the first round to go after a quarterback who he believed in and that was with them having Bradford on the roster. However Bradford was not an Eagles pick. He was a Chip Kelly trade piece. So there is the dilemma here. How much are the Eagles into developing Hurts verses having to develop another rookie basically the same age as Hurts? There in lies the issue. I don’t think Howie is a fool. He believes he’s the smartest guy in the room so one thing I will give Howie credit for. He isn’t going to make a bad or compulsive trade.