Has T.J. Edwards transformed this defense?

jmac+djaxallday

Disclaimer:  The schedule did start to get a lot easier around the time he was inserted into the starting lineup.  I still don't trust this defense to hold up against elite offenses and I think it's way too early to declare Edwards - a 2019 UDFA - one of the game's top linebackers.  But he does rank 8th out of 86 qualified linebackers on Pro Football Focus, and 5th among linebackers who have played at least 600 snaps - placing him just ahead of guys like Bobby Wagner, Fred Warner, Shaq Thompson, and Demario Davis, and just behind Lavonte David and Darius Leonard among others. 

Now again, I'm not saying he's as good as those guys, but when you go back and compare the Eagles first seven games (where he only played around 30-35% of the snaps) to the last nine (where he's been playing well over 90% of the snaps in most games), the difference is pretty noticeable in terms of points/yardage allowed:

Games 1-7:  26.4 points, 360.7 total yards, 116 rushing yards, 2-5 record

Games 8-16:  16.6 points, 287.8 total yards, 81.3 rushing yards, 7-2 record

PFF lists him as the 8th ranked linebacker against the run and 11th in coverage, and the eye test pretty much backs it up.  He's not the fastest player, but he's very instinctive - he knows where to be in coverage and can navigate blocks pretty well in the screen game.  It also doesn't hurt that he's built like a real linebacker - 240+ with broad shoulders and good form...which is refreshing after having watched the likes of Nathan Gerry all those years.

When I think about the possibility of matching up with a team like the Bucs or the Rams in the postseason, this is really the one development - at least on the defensive side of the ball - that gives me hope.  Watching them get carved up on the ground by teams like Dallas, KC, and Vegas was downright agonizing, especially given what we've been used to in the Cox/Graham era.  Moving forward I wouldn't mind more 6 DB looks featuring Epps - our DBs are pretty solid against the run and Singleton is kind of useless.  Would really be nice to still have Jordan Hicks.

It’s also pretty striking that the point of the defensive improvement is also connected to the lack of going up against talented quarterbacks. Even with Edwards the Eagles need another linebacker. They need one with playmaking abilities. 

• Like 2

Well, it's a fact that when a new defensive coordinator comes in with a new system and a team has some rookies and FA's that were added in the offseason, it can take about 6-8 games into the season before they really start to adjust and pick up the scheme.   

So with them playing the top QBs early, it's no surprise that they struggled.  Plus McLeod wasn't fully ready early, Wilson was still here playing the invisible man, and and there were some breakdowns in the secondary.  As the eagles defense got better adjusted, they schedule got a bit easier.

But as the defense adjusts, breakdowns reduce, and the results get better, so does confidence.....and that could be a factor in the playoffs.

With the running game and possibly the defense being actually better than the beginning of the year, the eagles could pull an upset........but even if they lose, the playoff experience is invaluable to the young guys.

• Like 1

With the NFL trending toward extra DBs and/or hybrid LB/DB players in an effort to counter today's passing offenses, teams are often afraid of trusting guys like Edwards that didn't test very well athletically to be useful on passing downs. So until this year, he really didn't get used as a 3-down LB so there was a bit of an unknown about whether he could hold up or would be a liability. I think he has proven to be more effective in coverage than any hybrid player or undersized LB we have employed in recent years. It feels to me like at this point we are getting at least as good a player as we had with Bradham during his best season with us. 

I'm not worried about what potential effects scheduling may have had. The best teams' (and players') stats are all established by playing the bad teams or lesser teams. It's part of football. What matters is how he plays each play. As long as the guy is playing right, making the correct reads, taking good angles, getting off blocks, making sound tackles, not wasting steps, and helping in coverage, then the evaluation is easy regardless of opponents. 

I feel a lot better going into this draft knowing Edwards has established himself as a solid 3-down LB and that Davion Taylor was also showing major signs of improvement in his 2nd year. Singleton is a quality backup and I actually thought Bradley played some good football last year in his limited defensive snaps. I'm sure we'll add another LB in the draft, but it just doesn't seem as pressing a need as it did before this season began. 

• Like 1

I know slightly :offtopic: but lol at anyone thinking this defense should have been playing lights out from the get go with a new DC and completely new scheme he was trying to install.  Both units started the season on a learning curve - it should have been expected it would take time for everyone - coaches and players - to figure things out and adjust accordingly.  We shall see how much improvement was made in the defense when the playoffs start.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I know slightly :offtopic: but lol at anyone thinking this defense should have been playing lights out from the get go with a new DC and completely new scheme he was trying to install.  Both units started the season on a learning curve - it should have been expected it would take time for everyone - coaches and players - to figure things out and adjust accordingly.  We shall see how much improvement was made in the defense when the playoffs start.  

I still believe the pressure was removed from the defense when the offense transformed to a ball control offense. That has played a part in some of the statistical improvements. They are more rested and playing with more confidence as well. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

The defense has been transformed by facing a relentless progression of practice squad qbs.

Hard to argue with facts

• Like 1

What TJ has done is stopped the bleeding at the LB position. Was a fan of his coming out of Wisconsin as a rotational piece, and nice to see he has worked his way on the field. He runs off instinct and a very intelligent football player  will rarely be caught out of place. Not every position can be all pro, and him being consistent in the position may free up an early draft pick for somewhere else (would still love a playmaker early in the draft to go with TJ)

I still remember the Eagles playing the Rams and the Greatest Show on Turf...think it was like the first game of the season after the Rams won the Super Bowl and Jimmy Johnson literally was blitzing both corners against that offense on the first play of the game.  I remember Buddy blitzing everyone and their mothers.  I remember Bud Carson blitzing everyone, their mothers and everyone in the front office.  God I miss those days.  I hate this pacifist, sing kumbaya, let's not give up a big play BS defense.  And before anyone says....well those defenses never won anything....Bud Carson's Defense lost Randall against Green Bay that first game and went 10-6 with 6 different QB's.  Buddy...well Buddy never cared enough about offense to give the team a chance and JJ's teams were limited by McNabb and ZERO WR help.  I'd kill for any of them as our defensive coordinator now.

And sorry for the rant....but TJ is not the problem nor the solution.  Gannon's ****-ness is being covered over by a strong running game and playing QB's that should still be in pop warner.

**** = female lower body part that is sometimes hairy/sometimes trimmed/sometimes shaved between her legs.  

8 hours ago, NYEagle said:

Buddy...well Buddy never cared enough about offense to give the team a chance 

Buddy drafted Keith Byars, Keith Jackson, Cris Carter. His problem was that he inherited the worst offensive line in NFL history. When Ryan became our head coach, there was no free agency. He used numerous draft picks on offensive linemen and scoured NFL garbage heaps for waiver upgrades like Dave Rimington and Mike Schad, traded away a 1st for one of the NFL's best OGs (Ron Solt) only to find out he was on steroids and not the same player after being busted. 

Buddy may have undermined Kotite while Kotite was OC, but Buddy absolutely cared about offense. If he didn't, he never would have punched Gilbride. He knew the offense could make life easier for the defense:

Transform is a strong word. He’s been a pleasant surprise, certainly exceed expectations and is playing very solid. What he has done is bring stability to the LB play. We still need (and have done for years) a playmaker at that level of the defence. 

The LB position doesn’t look as dire as it did earlier in the season but it’s far from a strength. Edwards is a solid starter. Taylor showed some flashes but the jury is still out on him. I love Singleton’s heart but he has no business being a starter. Ideally, he’s a quality backup and ST player. 

17 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

The LB position doesn’t look as dire as it did earlier in the season but it’s far from a strength. Edwards is a solid starter. Taylor showed some flashes but the jury is still out on him. I love Singleton’s heart but he has no business being a starter. Ideally, he’s a quality backup and ST player. 

Yep. I think Taylor has more potential than Edwards but Edwards is clearly the more dependable guy right now.

Drafting someone in the first 3 rounds to compete with them for the 2 LB spots next year would be wise. Ideally someone who has upside and has been a bit of playmaker in college. Singleton would then ideally be depth and the ST captain but someone out there will pay him simply based on experience he has had over the last two years 

He's a decent LB. If they draft a LB early this year (they need to but that's a big if) then he should still be a starter. He's good against the run, he's decent in coverage and he reads the play well. He isn't fast and he isn't super athletic but he gets in the right positions. For a UDFA to be a good solid NFL starter I think that's pretty damn impressive. 

I like Edwards. I think he absolutely has a roll on this team moving forward, even as a starter. Think about how many times he has almost come up with an INT, as well.

Having said that, we need to add a top LB in the draft and another piece later on in said draft. 

Dean - Edwards - Taylor 

Singleton - rookie

Suddenly the LBs look solid/good.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Swoop said:

I like Edwards. I think he absolutely has a roll on this team moving forward, even as a starter. Think about how many times he has almost come up with an INT, as well.

Having said that, we need to add a top LB in the draft and another piece later on in said draft. 

Dean - Edwards - Taylor 

Singleton - rookie

Yeah… but doubt Howie drafts a LB in the first. 

He's been by far the best LBer we have had in last couple seasons but that's not saying much...Also, I've noticed couple times on swing passes/passes to the flats he has gotten beaten for first downs and completely whiffed on the tackle. A competent QB like Brady or Rodgers is gonna take advantage of that in a big way. 

3 hours ago, Swoop said:

Dean - Edwards - Taylor 

Singleton - rookie

So you want to keep Singleton now?