Troy Andersen (Montana State LB) -- DRAFTED BY ATLANTA #58

EagleVA

So I'm looking for 2 LBs in the draft, I haven't decided who the first of the two is but this guy is my second pick, no later than the 2nd round.

Troy Anderson, LB, Montana State, 6'4'' 235.

This guy is exactly what the Eagles need, unbelievable athlete, he played RB and LB and he's a National Scholar-Athlete.

You could use this guy on offense and/or at the S or LB positions on defense, good in coverage, blazing-fast versatile player.

• Like 1

I like the look of him, but reckon he'll be a late Day 3 pick, possibly lasting until rounds 5-7.

He's had a knee injury/surgery in the past, which necessitated a Red-Shirt season in 2020, and will therefore be a slightly older prospect at 23. 

I agree that he'd offer useful and intriguing Offensive cover on game days, in addition to his LB and ST duties.

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2022 at 10:56 AM, Couch Potato said:

I like the look of him, but reckon he'll be a late Day 3 pick, possibly lasting until rounds 5-7.

After his 40 time I'm hearing some talk about 2nd round. 

If he had sound tackling fundamentals he would be a 1st rounder in my book, as it stands now I see him going in round 3 or 4, all that's needed is to coach him to how to tackle with authority, unfortunately he's an grab high and sling to the ground tackler, that ain't gonna work in the NFL

He definitely has the athletic ability, it's coaching that's gonna determine his success.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

After his 40 time I'm hearing some talk about 2nd round. 

If he had sound tackling fundamentals he would be a 1st rounder in my book, as it stands now I see him going in round 3 or 4, all that's needed is to coach him to how to tackle with authority, unfortunately he's an grab high and sling to the ground tackler, that ain't gonna work in the NFL

He definitely has to athletic ability, it's coaching that's gonna determine his success.

Man, that Combine performance was a game changer!

How on earth does an elite athlete like that slip through the net and end up playing FCS ball at Montana State?

Definitely made himself some $$$ yesterday, as you say he probably goes in the 80-115 range, if not before.

been looking at him for a while also… thought maybe he could have been had in the 5th round but i would say needs to be picked a lot sooner now… might not be a beast year one but with some teaching think he could come on strong year two… and probably great on special teams

MontanaState_logo.gif Troy Andersen, LB, Montana State  up2.gif  
Troy Andersen posted some terrific workout times at the combine. He sprinted a 4.42 40 at 6-4, 242. He also notched a 10-8 broad jump and a 36-inch vertical. He may have worked himself into Day 2 consideration. — walter football

1 hour ago, Couch Potato said:

Man, that Combine performance was a game changer!

How on earth does an elite athlete like that slip through the net and end up playing FCS ball at Montana State?

Definitely made himself some $$$ yesterday, as you say he probably goes in the 80-115 range, if not before.

Personally if the 1st round I'd like 15 & 16 to be S and CB, 19 DE or LB, 2nd round DE or LB, 3rd round Troy Anderson, we simply cannot have a defense that can't get off the field with Hurts behind center playing catchup. 

21 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Personally if the 1st round I'd like 15 & 16 to be S and CB, 19 DE or LB, 2nd round DE or LB, 3rd round Troy Anderson, we simply cannot have a defense that can't get off the field with Hurts behind center playing catchup. 

I can't see the Eagles leaving R1 without a DE, specifically Jermaine Johnson, who looks to fit the bill perfectly. Might involve a small trade up to get him.

Agree with you regarding CB, but I just can't see Howie taking a Safety (or a LB for that matter) in R1. He might also get a little cute with CB, hoping to trade back and pick up one on Day 2. Like you, I'd rather he gets one earlier.

After last night, I reckon Devonte Wyatt will be one of the Eagles R1 picks.

3 hours ago, Couch Potato said:

I can't see the Eagles leaving R1 without a DE, specifically Jermaine Johnson, who looks to fit the bill perfectly. Might involve a small trade up to get him.

Agree with you regarding CB, but I just can't see Howie taking a Safety (or a LB for that matter) in R1. He might also get a little cute with CB, hoping to trade back and pick up one on Day 2. Like you, I'd rather he gets one earlier.

After last night, I reckon Devonte Wyatt will be one of the Eagles R1 picks.

The  Eagles need to stay put in rounds 1, 2, and 3, no trading up or back, have enough self confidence and make the picks like a man. 

Montana State · LB

It is hard to find linebackers who are big, fast and strong with outstanding instincts and awareness. That's why scouts were excited about Andersen's potential even before his combine workout. However, after watching the 6-3, 243-pounder blaze the turf with a 4.42 40-yard dash and pop jumps of 36 inches (vertical) and 10-foot-8 (broad jump), coaches and scouts are intrigued by the Montana State standout's potential as a run-and-chase defender on the second level. Andersen's movement skills and explosiveness are coveted in today's game, with more teams opting to attack via the pass. As a long, rangy speedster with thump power and ball skills, Andersen could pose problems for opponents attempting to attack the middle of the field. With another opportunity to show scouts his range and agility at his April 4 pro day, Andersen could rise into serious consideration as a top-50 pick.

I really like him as a long-term potential project but its tough thinking of grabbing him with a 2nd round pick (which at this pt it may take that).  I mocked him to the Eagles alot in 3rd/4th but hes moved up too far now.

However, part of me really hopes the Eagles can trade down multiple times in the 1st.  This draft is super deep from the bottom of the 1st to the top of the 3rd round.  With 3 firsts in some draft sims I have picked up 8 picks from low 1st to top of the 3rd.  The talent you could add that way is crazy good.  In those I would always grab him late 2nd.