Insider hints at Jalen Hurts' trade value around league

time2rock

Insider hints at Jalen Hurts' trade value around league

Jalen Hurts' first year as a full-time starting quarterback has been, by most any measurement, a success for a second-year QB who was picked in the second round of the NFL Draft.

Hurts has completed 61.7% of his passes, averaged 7.3 yards per attempt, scored 26 total touchdowns, kept his interceptions to single digits, and has piloted his team to a playoff spot. 

And fan sentiment around Philadelphia has seemingly shifted towards feeling good enough about the young QB's future to give him another go-around in 2022 as he's proven to be a good, efficient, dynamic quarterback.

But ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter tossed a tiny, flammable hint out into the ether on Wednesday morning:

Has Hurts played so well this season... that he's actually become more valuable as a trade chip for the Eagles than as a quarterback?

Schefter, the most plugged-in football insider out there, joined 97.5 The Fanatic's John Kincade show on Wednesday to talk all things Eagles, and one particular part of his conversation with Kincade and the crew really stood out to me:

"If the Eagles still want to go out and get a quarterback this offseason - and I still think they might, we'll see how it unfolds, if they want to go out and get Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Aaron Rodgers, you name the guy - somebody will be very happy to take Jalen Hurts off their hands.

"[...]

"I think that they have themselves right now somebody who has value around the league."

I hadn't even thought about it until Schefter brought it up, but Hurts' success this season is two-fold. 
He's made himself attractive to the Eagles as a low-cost QB option who would seem to have even more room for improvement, but is already able to get you to the playoffs. That's insanely valuable.

But he's also shown that value to the 31 other teams around the league, and you can bet Eagles general manager Howie Roseman knows that Hurts' stock is rising.

Would Roseman really take all the good will that Hurts has built up this season and ship him out after the year's over in an attempt to get not just a pretty good quarterback, but a legitimately great one?

Hoooo boy, the takes would be flowing that week if Roseman really pulled the trigger on such a deal.

Including Hurts in a trade for a top-tier QB like Wilson, Watson, or Rodgers would certainly lower what else Roseman and the Eagles would have to give up. It's been widely assumed that the cost for any of those guys in a trade would begin at two first-round picks, and likely escalate to three if the bidding wars dictated it.

With Hurts, are we talking just one first-rounder? That's pretty big when the Eagles have three. Getting an elite QB and still being able to spend draft capital on first-round talent for the future is basically the best of both worlds.

It's a crazy idea, one that will probably drive Eagles fans nuts. I personally have pulled a full 180 from "do what you can to get a star QB" to "let Hurts ride in 2022 and use those picks" but we'll see how the Eagles feel when things get rolling this offseason.

Buckle up.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rumors-did-jalen-hurts-success-make-him-eagles-trade-chip?cid=sm_npd_rsn_phi_fb_mn&fbclid=IwAR0Y25lbvImsAayECp-bznhSCMUKUweg77k-mHyxlCLxsglbvTrs2OK3J4I

It would be a typical Howie move to trade a 2021 Corvette with 14K miles in on a 2014 Dodge Stratus with 220K miles.  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unless something dramatically changes, Watson doesn't want to come here so that kills that.  I highly, HIGHLY doubt that Rodgers would want to come here either. 

Wilson is a wildcard and we don't really know where he would accept a trade to or want to go.  While he's been a pretty good QB, it's hard to tell from this year if he's starting to decline or if his finger injury hampered him.  He'll turn 34 this year and unless the trade was something like Hurts and a 3rd, I wouldn't make a deal for him.  

• Like 3

The one huge factor not mention in the article is that Hurts is being carried on the cheap.  There's untold value in cap savings by having him for another couple of years on his rookie contract.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Imagine citing 61.7% as a positive in this day and age? He's 27th in the NFL....

We're stuck in a bad spot.  No clear top notch QB coming out in this years draft.  And no real good option in any possible trade.  Trade one of the 1sts for a package (including a 1st) in 2023 and hope one shines in 2022 for the 2023 draft.  Deal with Cam Newton-lite and Minshew for another season.  Unfortunately.  

Ok and he was in the 52% range last year. That’s a huge improvement. I see no reason he can’t put in the offseason work to get even better next year. 

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

A first round pick? I'm not sure any team is giving up a first round pick for Hurts...

I’d be shocked if there WEREN’T multiple teams who would do it. He was a second round pick, and no that wasn’t a reach it was right around where he was projected. You’re telling me his play hasn’t upped his value at all since draft night?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nipples said:

I’d be shocked if there WEREN’T multiple teams who would do it. He was a second round pick, and no that wasn’t a reach it was right around where he was projected. You’re telling me his play hasn’t upped his value at all since draft night?

That's a fair comment. I mean look... Yes I think he's upped his value looking at it on face value. He's better now than he was last year, he's proven he can win in the NFL. But I don't see a team giving up a first for him. Face value and NFL value seem to be two different things. 

What about the value to the Eagles as a low cost option?

What about drafting Pickett and still having 3 firsts?

Acquiring a top shelf QB1 prospect should be the mission of the 2023 draft. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's a fair comment. I mean look... Yes I think he's upped his value looking at it on face value. He's better now than he was last year, he's proven he can win in the NFL. But I don't see a team giving up a first for him. Face value and NFL value seem to be two different things. 

I’m willing to say that he’s more valuable now than Wentz was last offseason. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’m willing to say that he’s more valuable now than Wentz was last offseason. 

You think? Interesting. I think in terms of his play this year compared to Wentz last year then yeah absolutely! But I'm not sure the NFL think and operate that way. 

31 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You think? Interesting. I think in terms of his play this year compared to Wentz last year then yeah absolutely! But I'm not sure the NFL think and operate that way. 

Hurts has had a far better season this year compared to Wentz last year, but there was also the injury concern with Wentz. Dude still hasn’t played more than a couple series of playoff football in his career because of all the injuries. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

A first round pick? I'm not sure any team is giving up a first round pick for Hurts...

If someone wants to give up a 1st, I don't see Howie passing it up. 

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If someone wants to give up a 1st, I don't see Howie passing it up. 

And to be honest... I don't think he should. I mean I'm not even down on Hurts but you don't pass up a first for a guy who's not the definite answer. 

And to be honest... I don't think he should. I mean I'm not even down on Hurts but you don't pass up a first for a guy who's not the definite answer. 

He may not be "the definite answer” now but can’t say he definitely is not the answer either. How many QBs can be called "the definite answer” after 20 starts?  Do you remember Peyton Manning’s first 20 starts?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matchew88 said:

What about the value to the Eagles as a low cost option?

What about drafting Pickett and still having 3 firsts?

Blah. Not feeling it with Pickett. At all. 

How many QBs ARE the definite answer after basically one season worth of starts? Very few. Jags just took Lawrence #1… is he definitely the guy? Doesn’t look like it after 16 starts  

I think we’ve forgotten that most QBs aren’t immediately great and we’ve gotten extremely impatient. 

Look at Kyler Murray’s first year. 64.4% completion rate, 87.4 Passer rating, 24 total TDs, 12 interceptions. Then he got better in each of the next two seasons. 

Hurts numbers this year are very similar to Murray in his first year. 61.3% completions, 87.2 passer rating, 26 total TDs, 9 interceptions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

He may not be "the definite answer” now but can’t say he definitely is not the answer either. How many QBs can be called "the definite answer” after 20 starts?  Do you remember Peyton Manning’s first 20 starts?  

I'm not arguing that bud. I'm not out on Hurts at this point. I'm also not fully in on him. I think that's true of most the fan base and that's fine. You can't be all in on a guy after 20 starts. You can't be fully convinced but you can't be completely out on him either. I'm just saying if the organisation are unsure then I don't think you turn down a first round pick. 

23 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not arguing that bud. I'm not out on Hurts at this point. I'm also not fully in on him. I think that's true of most the fan base and that's fine. You can't be all in on a guy after 20 starts. You can't be fully convinced but you can't be completely out on him either. I'm just saying if the organisation are unsure then I don't think you turn down a first round pick. 

I’d only consider doing it if it was an early 1st.  If we’d be getting a pick in the late teens or 20s then no way would I do it.  

I would rather go with Hurts than any of those veterans. I think Hurts will continue to improve.

I would be really sick if Howie gave up on him to bring in a scumbag like Deshaun Watson, though.

9 hours ago, vaff said:

I would rather go with Hurts than any of those veterans. I think Hurts will continue to improve.

I would be really sick if Howie gave up on him to bring in a scumbag like Deshaun Watson, though.

This I agree with. I'd rather stick with Hurts for next year than go for Wilson or Rodgers. And yeah probably Watson too.

Trading Hurts right now would be another indication that this team is run like the old cleveland browns.  

Watson's troubles are not going to miraculously disappear.  Wilson will cost a fortune and Rodgers will never agree to come to philly.......and when a QB gets to be 35, you never know when they'll decide they've had enough......they're not all Tom Brady.

The eagles have a young, developing QB who has all the tools.  They also have a load of high draft picks and cap room that could transform the team into a perennial contender.  They made the playoffs with a rookie HC, basically a rookie QB and a load of early season question marks.  

Add a playoff game or two to their experience, a good, solid draft and a couple of strategic free agents, and they'll be in the top tier in the NFC for quite a while.

56 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Add a a good, solid draft

Did you forget who is doing the drafting?

1 hour ago, Perforator said:

Did you forget who is doing the drafting?

I would say we had a pretty good draft this past year.