NFL Draft 2022: Giants pick Daniel Jones’ replacement; Jets get help for Zach Wilson; Eagles triple down on defense in latest

time2rock

NFL Draft 2022: Giants pick Daniel Jones’ replacement; Jets get help for Zach Wilson; Eagles triple down on defense in latest 1st-round mock

Updated: Jan. 07, 2022, 5:00 a.m. | Published: Jan. 07, 2022, 5:00 a.m.

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The 2022 NFL Draft is shaping up to be all about three teams: the New York GiantsNew York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles.

All three could have multiple top-20 picks.

Here’s what CBS Sports predicted in its latest first-round mock.

Jets
The Jets have a pair of first-round picks in 2022: their own, plus one from the Seattle Seahawks as part of the Jamal Adams trade.

4. Charles Cross, OL, Mississippi State
Cross is a freaky smooth athlete who was outstanding protecting his edge of the Mississippi State offensive line in 2021.

7. (from SEA) Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
He’s long, ultra-athletic and plays with tremendous ball skills.

Giants
The Giants have a pair of first-round picks in 2022: their own, plus one from the Chicago Bears as part of the deal which sent Justin Fields to the Windy City and Kadarius Toney to the Big Apple.

5. Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh
I could totally see Joe Judge adoring Pickett during the pre-draft process and the next GM wanting "his guy” at quarterback.

8. (from CHI) Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State
Ekwonu isn’t the longest blocker but plays with a powerful, well-balanced style.

Eagles

The Eagles are sitting on three first-round picks: their own, plus one from the Miami Dolphins in the DeVonta Smith trade and one from the Indianapolis Colts in the Carson Wentz trade.

14. (from MIA) Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah
Lloyd is a rocket to the football at linebacker, and that spot is a position the Eagles need to address early in this draft.

19. Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson
Booth has light feet and crazy ball skills.

21. (from IND) David Ojabo, LB, Michigan
Ojabo is a hyper-athletic, somewhat raw rusher who’ll instantly replace Derek Barnett in Philadelphia.

I wonder if Howie would allow a new coaching regime to prioritize LB's this high after years of placing a lower budget value on the position. 

EDIT: It does like the second LB mention would be converted to an EDGE in this mock draft's logic. 

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Howie taking a LB in the 1st? 

Having 3 might give Howie more flexibility and open the door to break the 43 year old trend.  But I still wouldn't put money on it happening.  I think DL is almost a certainty.  After that who knows, but gut says CB would hold a pretty high % (if the right guy falls to us).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Having 3 might give Howie more flexibility and open the door to break the 43 year old trend.  But I still wouldn't put money on it happening.  I think DL is almost a certainty.  After that who knows, but gut says CB would hold a pretty high % (if the right guy falls to us).  

We need all 3 no doubt. But LB in the 1st is usually a huge no. But I could live with 2 CB and a DL or vise versa. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Talkingbirds said:

Two LBers in 1st round, is a comet about to hit earth ?

Ojabo is a DE not a LB.  Athletic enough to play OLB in a 3-4 but will play with his hand in the dirt on Sundays.

• Like 2