Play-offs Mock

Slade

Who would've thought in early December that the birds would not only be playoff bound but did it even while resting most of the starters the finale game against the cowgirls of all teams. I must give credit where credit is due Howie nailed this last off-season and Lurie found another good head coach. I compared this team to the 1999 team and figured it would take at least 10 games for the coaches to figure it out which they did, but with a winning record.

This mock is how I view the team before the playoffs and I'm certain things will change my opinion of where the team truly stands, facing top talent generally does this. Being in the playoffs well ahead of schedule I view more a positive that will only help give the young guys a taste of what it takes regardless of the outcome. 

Last I will admit from the last mock to this one I was wrong about Hurts, The first Giants game brought more of an emotional response instead of a logical one. I'm more then fine with going forward with him as the starter next year and I'm actually excited to see what he can do in year two of Siriani's scheme. 

Cuts/Let walk:

1. JJAW WR - 1.1 million cap savings

2. Anthony Harris FS - no cap savings

3. Rodney McCloud SS - no cap savings

4. Genard Avery SLB - no cap savings

5. Greg Ward WR - no cap savings

6. Brandon Brooks post June 1st designation 13.5 million cap savings

Re-sign: 28.6 million to work with.

1. Javon Hargrave DT - Started the eight games like a rocket taking off but cooled off since a bit. Still there's an opportunity create some cap space and lock down a key starter for a few more years. 3 year extension 40 million, with a 2022 cap savings of 10 million. 

2. Jason Kelce OC - Dude is stilling balling out at an elite level and seems to be really enjoying the game again. Jason is the heart and soul of the offense and veteran leadership is key to development of the young guys within it. 2 years 17 million.

3. Nate Herbig receives a 2nd tender

Trade!

Eagles agree to send Andre Dillard, Isaac Seumalo and a 3rd to Atlanta for Calvin Ridley. Calvin by reporting wants a fresh start and Atlanta's offensive line is a disaster for them so they get two starters on the cheap and a pick to help in moving on from a player probably they're not certain in. The Eagles get a dynamic weapon who already has a strong relationship with Hurts, and Smith will be huge help too. Eagles offer an extension of 4 years 55 million while his cap impact this year from 11 to 5 million.

Free Agency: 30 million roughly to play with.

1. Donte Jackson CB - The secondary needs a young option on the outside opposite of Slay who can more than handle his own. Donte is a bit undersized but he plays above it, breaking up passes and creating turnovers. His speed is top notch and his coverage ability should be an upgrade over Nelson long term. 3 years 20 million.

2.Terrell Edmunds SS - Solid cover safety that is having a career year in his 4th season allowing one of the lowest passer rating among safeties. Terrell is a plug and play strong safety that brings superior coverage skills with excellent range and strong tackling ability. Stout against the run also he isn't afraid to take on his opponent head on and introduce them to the ground. 4 years 24 million.

3. Foyesade Oluokun ILB - Edwards has been a huge boost the defense as a whole but he is physically limited and certainly upgradeable. Foyesade has remarkable lateral ability tracking from sideline to sideline while producing becoming a reliable tackler. 3 years 30 million 

Draft: Eagles own picks #15, #16, #19

Trade! Detroit wants a QB and needs to get ahead of couple of teams and offer #30, #34 for #16.

1.(#15) David Ojabo DE - The birds miss out on Hutchinson but damn what a consolation prize! David is an elite talent in his own right wreaking havoc that shows up week in and out with 10+ sacks.  He's got the physical attributes that most teams covet a 6'5 250 lbs. An athletic freak he is a monster coming off the edge, but he has the amazing ability to drop into coverage and be reliable doing   it, something Gannon himself has said he needs in his edge players. He is also extremely good versus the run setting the edge reliably with a motor and pursuit second only to his teammate.  

1.(#19) Kenyon Green OG - The one part of the line that seems to be an issue year after year having some decent play from some but nothing consistent. Kenyon is a former 5-star recruit who has lived up to the billing being a dominate and versatile lineman playing both tackle and guard something the Eagles FO have always valued. Having great size and athletic he is a do it all lineman that is used often to pull and to get the second level staples in this scheme. This guy is a people mover with and incredibly high ceiling.

1#30) Travon Walker DE - It's no secret that the Eagles philosophy is to build from the inside out and the lines when healthy are generally the strength of the team. Travon another 5-star recruit is an explosive beast that just oozes Eagles with the size and athletic ability the team always prioritizes in edge rushers. Extremely powerful his punches absolutely stuns opponents and his brute strength will blow up most lineman. Extremely versatile he has played inside and out and can be utilized in multiple packages. 

2.(#34) Jaquan Brisker FS - The middle of defense has been an issue for years now with only band aids addressing it. Jaquan changes all of that, he is an elite talent fierce tackler a playmaker and a team captain. He has top notch coverage skills while showing a more than willingness to support the run game. His ability to play all aspects of an elite safety (single high, slot, in the box) he also can can come downhill fast and even bring the blitz. Another top quality is he is known as a team leader. Total stud. 

Trade! The Jets are targeting someone and offer #69, #102, #108 for #51

3.(#69) Brandon Smith SLB - Linebacker has been an issue for years now an has been filled with cast offs and UDFA's and is long overdue for investment. Brandon is an elite talent displaying off the charts athleticism, speed and range. His pursuit and tackling ability is top notch, but he is still very raw and will probably start outside along the strong side learning before getting a shot inside. Gannon's system is missing a playmaker in the middle of the field and OC's attack this weakness over and over, Smith will begin to change this. 

4.(#102) Travis Jones DT - Gannon has progressively used a 4-3 over scheme which requires a playmaking linebacker and a stout nose tackle. Travis is a massive man to move in his own right and is an exception run defender while possessing decent ability to collapse the pocket.

4.(#108) Coby Bryant CB - The guy opposite of Gardner, he has been overshadowed but he's diamond in the rough. Coby has all the physical tools to be an effective outside corner with good length, long arms and instincts. 

4.(#115) Rasheed Walker OT - Clark is currently projected to be the swing tackle but Rasheed if given proper coaching can challenge immediately, either way needed depth.

5.(#139) Brian Robinson RB - The big back the offense requires and Brian is a very physical runner between the tackle, but also has very good receiving skills to match.  

5.(#147) Kyle Philips WR - Special teams needs someone who can light someone up and Kyle is that guy, displaying exceptional return ability.

5.(#152) Josh Whyle TE - Jackson's ACL creates a need for depth and Josh is a solid all around TE who has reliable hands.

6.(#190) Tariq-Castro Fields CB - Depth

7.(#211) Eric Gray RB - Depth

Depth Chart:

QB: Hurts, Minshew

TE: Goedert, Stoll, Whyle, Jackson

WR: Smith, Ridley, Watkins, Reagor, Philips 

RB: Sanders, Gainwell, Robinson, Gray

LT: Mailata, Clark

LG: Dickerson, Opeta

OC: Kelce. Herbig

RG: Green, Driscoll 

RT: Johnson, Walker

LDE: Graham, Ojabo

DT: Cox, Hargrave, Williams, Jones, Tuipulotu

RDE: Sweat, Walker, Jackson

WLB: Taylor, Bradley

ILB:  Oluokun, Edwards

SLB: Smith, Johnson, Stevens

LCB: Slay, Bryant, Gowan, Fields

NB: Maddox, Scott

FS: Brisker, Epps

SS: Edmunds, Wallace

RCB: Jackson, Vincent JR, Chachere 

K: Elliott

P: Siposs 

Final Analysis:

Offense:

It all starts and ends with Hurts his progression is paramount and I believe given his work ethic he will become more of a pocket passer, but still maintaining his dynamic run ability. In his second year in this system I'm expecting another significant leap in his development. Jalen has the mental fortitude to be a leader and a winner which is extremely important after watching the teams former QB cave yet again. 

Giving Jalen a veteran receiver who can be a real threat opposite of Smith will open up the offense allowing him to have a legit 2nd or 3rd option which he really doesn't have now. Watkins is at best a solid #3 receiver who can rotate between the slot and Z receiver and should be even more of threat with more talent on the field. Reagor has shown he's not reliable but I still have hope he can find a role. Philips rounds out the unit but he is more of a special teams homerun threat which is fine for a #4/5 WR. The TE's pretty much start where they ended last season. Goedert is a beast and is someone critical to Hurts and the offense, with Smith in his 2nd year and Ridley in the fold defenses will have to respect the entire field and I expect Goedert to put up pro bowl type numbers.

The running game loses Howard and Scott with the hope that Gainwell can handle more and a thumper like Robinson can establish another strong running game. Behind this proposed line Sanders should put up crazy stats if he can just stay healthy. Gainwell has shown he play in the slot with exceptional receiving and route skills and be solid runner. Robinson adds the between the tackle short yardage runner the offense needs to sustain drives and wear down defenses. Gray is the dynamic replacement for Scott but younger and with less miles.

With the addition of Green the o-line goes from dominate to insane giving the right side a dominance to rival the left while giving the Eagles clear long term solutions at 3/5 spots. The o-line has played at an epic level this year and I would say it is far better then the super bowl unit. Adding a talent like Green will only continue to improve the starters but give the team some extremely good depth. Hurts and the running should excel behind such an extremely talented unit. 

Defense:

The defense is going to go through some dramatic change with multiple new starters. The defensive line will get Graham back and two new 1st round pieces in Ojabo and Walker along with a a NT in Jones. Walker and Williams have the versatility to play inside and out while Ojabo and Sweat bring the big play potential. Cox and Hargraves come back to provide a strong inside push and Jones gives Gannon the flexibility to use different fronts depending on who the opponent is and what they're doing. 

In the middle of the defense the linebackers get a significant boost in talent with a veteran who is a playmaker and tackling machine to guide everyone in Oloukun. The hope is that Taylor can find a way stay healthy and contribute from the weak-side, he's got the speed and tackling ability to become a real factor. But the greatest increase in overall talent comes from Smith on the strong-side, he is a dynamic playmaker who is going to a force coming off the edge and overall the trio should be significantly better in coverage and no longer a liability.

The secondary get nearly a complete makeover with only Slay and Maddox returning. Some may ask why I didn't commit more draft capitol here with Jackson being the only corner signed and nobody drafted until the 4th in Bryant, but I feel Jackson is not only younger then Nelson but also a solid upgrade. Howie collected a lot of guys in the secondary during the season and I feel that will push the need down just a bit if they can get a cheap upgrade via free agency. The safeties will get two new starters that have the range, intelligence, tackling and athletic ability to cause major problems for OC's. 

• Like 5

Wow! This one must have taken a long, long time to make. Unbelievable effort! 👊🏻

I really, really like it! Awesome offseaso and draft, man! 

Thought about taking Green in one of my drafts for the exact same reasons; creating stability on the right side.

• Like 2

I tell you what...I love this. That's about as big a transformation as you can imagine to be honest. This would improve the offense whilst absolutely overhauling and transforming this defense. Great job. 

• Like 1

I love Walker and Jones for the Eagles.   Depends on whether Gannon stays I guess.  Solid moves throughout the draft.  I leave trade/FA to the real speculators 😉

• Like 1

Why does everyone seem to overlook the cap space required to sign rookies?

This has co-existed since the inception of a salary cap.

3 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

Cap is not a problem. If we wanted to throw 50 Million at free agents we’d find a way and still be able to sign rookies.

Roseman takes care of that.

Slade - Great read, thanks. Lots of though and lots of thought provoking. 

I don't think the free agency moves can happen. The Eagles have $13 M in cap space and would save $13 M with a post June 1 parting from Brooks. I think they have a carry over of $13 M that's $39 M.

Moving Dillard results in about $4 M in dead money and your numbers show $7 M per year for Kelce. That leaves $28M. 

2 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

As crazy legs points out we need to spend big on our draft picks - he estimates $14M so let's be more optimistic and say $10 M - that leaves $18 M. I don't think we can get the guys you want for that. 

I'm hot and cold on your draft.

• Ojabo - great pick.
  • I like the trade - good one
  • Don't think we need a guard especially that high. Dickerson, Driscol, Herbig, Clark, Opeta, Anderson, and Awisoka are all still here even after you move Seumalo. In your scenario I'd take the next highest rated corner with measurables of 6'0" or more and 4.5 or less. 
  • Walker, check
  • Brisker, check
  • Jets trade, check
  • Smith, I'm with you
  • Jones, ok, but Walker is a Williams clone to me and can play inside - I'd rather another DE here
  • Coby Bryant - I don't like any corner with 4.55 speed, Take a look at Tariq Woolen for a H-W-S prospect
  • Walker, check - is someone a Penn State fan?
  • Robinson - check
  • Phillips - not my cup of tea, we have enough small receivers
  • Wylie - with Tyree Jackson's injury we need a linebacker 
  • Castro-Fields - love the potential and there's that PSU love again
  • Gray - ok, but what about another safety

Thanks again Slade, love your posts and your thoughtfulness. 

19 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Wow! This one must have taken a long, long time to make. Unbelievable effort! 👊🏻

I really, really like it! Awesome offseaso and draft, man! 

Thought about taking Green in one of my drafts for the exact same reasons; creating stability on the right side.

It did it really did freaking got deleted not once but twice! Figured I need to just punch it though without editing much before some else happens. 

I've been eying Green up for awhile now and would love to see him added to this line. Being absolutely dominate in the trenches can make up for some many weaknesses. 

And by the way you've really put together some impressive mocks yourself man, every time I thought someone hadn't considered an angle there you are. Fine work sir keep it up I learn a ton from you!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I tell you what...I love this. That's about as big a transformation as you can imagine to be honest. This would improve the offense whilst absolutely overhauling and transforming this defense. Great job. 

I would love to see a transformation like this and as much as I have enjoyed watching this team, something like this would be surreal. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Greenakers2 said:

I love Walker and Jones for the Eagles.   Depends on whether Gannon stays I guess.  Solid moves throughout the draft.  I leave trade/FA to the real speculators 😉

Walker emerged on the scene for me on recently honestly, I'm actually quite embarrassed I missed this cat, he so impressive in all aspects. Jones for me would be a steal IMO where I pegged him he's going to help a run defense so much while being the big space eater needed on the goal line and more

10 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

7 hours ago, Infam said:

Cap is not a problem. If we wanted to throw 50 Million at free agents we’d find a way and still be able to sign rookies.

Roseman takes care of that.

I left plenty of room for Howie to do his thing, like Infam says and I totally agree with him Howie will make the moves needed to sign the rooks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Slade - Great read, thanks. Lots of though and lots of thought provoking. 

I don't think the free agency moves can happen. The Eagles have $13 M in cap space and would save $13 M with a post June 1 parting from Brooks. I think they have a carry over of $13 M that's $39 M.

Moving Dillard results in about $4 M in dead money and your numbers show $7 M per year for Kelce. That leaves $28M. 

As crazy legs points out we need to spend big on our draft picks - he estimates $14M so let's be more optimistic and say $10 M - that leaves $18 M. I don't think we can get the guys you want for that. 

I'm hot and cold on your draft.

• Ojabo - great pick.
  • I like the trade - good one
  • Don't think we need a guard especially that high. Dickerson, Driscol, Herbig, Clark, Opeta, Anderson, and Awisoka are all still here even after you move Seumalo. In your scenario I'd take the next highest rated corner with measurables of 6'0" or more and 4.5 or less. 
  • Walker, check
  • Brisker, check
  • Jets trade, check
  • Smith, I'm with you
  • Jones, ok, but Walker is a Williams clone to me and can play inside - I'd rather another DE here
  • Coby Bryant - I don't like any corner with 4.55 speed, Take a look at Tariq Woolen for a H-W-S prospect
  • Walker, check - is someone a Penn State fan?
  • Robinson - check
  • Phillips - not my cup of tea, we have enough small receivers
  • Wylie - with Tyree Jackson's injury we need a linebacker 
  • Castro-Fields - love the potential and there's that PSU love again
  • Gray - ok, but what about another safety

Thanks again Slade, love your posts and your thoughtfulness. 

Thanks Rob and quite the feedback bud!

First as far as the cap I did generate more cap space by extending both Hargrave and post trade Ridley which frees up roughly another 15 million. Dillard and Seumalo do carry some dead cap but they also generate another 5 million. 20 million changes a lot of math plus the way Howie signs guys the first year of a deal is usually the least impactful.

I get you don't believe that an IOL is needed early but this is Howie remember he values the line first and foremost one will be taken and Green is a beast. Plus it solidifies the line for another 2 years and even though I like Driscoll he's failed to stay healthy 2 years in a row and is certainly upgradeable. Could you just imagine such insane line?

Yes I do like PSU but the picks just fell the way I found the need for the team. Non of my previous mocks favored any other college one way or the other. 

Whylie with Jackson injury is important so I'm confused by this. Plus I leave plenty of depth in the linebacker position.

Running back needs long term depth Sanders is most likely gone after this year so that leaves Gainwell and who to start in 2023? Safety is set at starter and depth can always be address there especially since Vincent Jr or Stevens can easily play there.

Phillips is not to be relied on as far as a receiver yet his game is in the kick returner, he puts on quite game there and his presence means not using a valuable starter while providing and upgrade in the return game 

Anyways thanks for the feedback always appreciated 

12 hours ago, Slade said:

Whylie with Jackson injury is important so I'm confused by this. Plus I leave plenty of depth in the linebacker position.

You got me pal - I misspoke and my mind got ahead of my fingers. Meant to say you're right, we need a TE

Can't wait to see your next chapter. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob331 said:

You got me pal - I misspoke and my mind got ahead of my fingers. Meant to say you're right, we need a TE

Can't wait to see your next chapter. 

You're kewl bro no sweat, and always thanks for keeping me on my toes!