Eagles O-Line Takes Another Hit: Veteran Out 9 Months

time2rock

• Updated Jan 25, 2022 at 12:25pm
Brett Toth

Getty: Eagles reserve tackle/guard Brett Toth will miss nine months as he rehabs from knee surgery,

Philadelphia Eagles backup tackle/guard Brett Toth hit injured reserve on January 10 after injuring his knee. He was playing center in fill-in duty for Jason Kelce during the regular-season finale when something popped.

Now Toth has started the nine-month recovery process from what sounds like an ACL tear. The former Army standout made the announcement on Instagram, saying: "Year 3 in the 📚s. I can’t help but to feel grateful even with a 9 month recovery process looming post knee surgery. Only option is to work hard and let the 🃏s fall where they must. Not done by a long shot.”

The 6-foot-6, 304-pounder has seen action in 17 games over the past two seasons for Philly. He has racked up 206 total snaps (150 offensive, 56 special teams) while bouncing between the active roster and practice squad.

g1.JPG.0d7aa1e38b3e180f4fcba9dbb56d4955.JPG

Toth had his 24-month service commitment waived in 2019, via a U.S. policy change from President Donald Trump for military members, so he could pursue his NFL dreams. He went undrafted out of Army but quickly latched on with the Eagles.

Jason Kelce Named PFWA All-NFL Team

Jason Kelce had already been named first-team All-Pro and the starting center for the NFC Pro Bowl squad. Add first-team All-NFL to his growing Hall-of-Fame resume after the Pro Football Writers of America (PFWA) announced their 2021 picks. Kelce topped Kansas City’s Creed Humphrey as the top overall center. Humphrey was selected to the PFWA All-AFC team.

No other Eagles players made the cut. The Dallas Cowboys and Los Angeles Rams led all NFC clubs with four conference selections each, while the San Francisco 49ers had three NFC honorees.

Eagles Thankful for Jeff Stoutland

The one constant in the Eagles’ coaching room has been Jeff Stoutland. The gnarled old offensive line coach (and run game coordinator) has been on staff since 2013. He has helped turn Jason Kelce and Lane Johnson into perennial Pro Bowlers while grooming younger guys like Jordan Mailata, Jack Driscoll, Landon Dickerson, Nate Herbig, and Isaac Seumalo. Whenever a player gets hurt, Stoutland has the "next man up.” His importance to the team’s success isn’t lost on anyone in the organization.

"I’ve said this plenty of times with Coach Stout, just thankful that he’s here,” Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni said. "He’s not only a great technician to get the guys better individually, but he also does a great job of helping put them in good positions. So, he’s great at scheming and he’s great as a technician. That’s what you want out of all your coaches. And so, obviously, we’re so appreciative of him and his players are so appreciative of him because they know that he’s getting them better.”

Sirianni inherited Stoutland from Doug Pederson — Stoutland was initially hired by Chip Kelly in 2013 — and moving on from the 59-year-old New York native never crossed his mind. Ditto for Stoutland who had been rumored to be seeking a return to coach college football at Alabama.

g2.JPG.36ab161cf6e82a7114df333341f76235.JPG

"There’s 32 coaches in the offensive line in the National Football League. That’s it,” Stoutland said back in June. "And so this is the highest level, so I really love coaching in the National Football League. But most importantly, I love working for the Philadelphia Eagles.”

https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/brett-toth-knee-surgery/

Sirianni inherited Stoutland from Doug Pederson — Stoutland was initially hired by Chip Kelly in 2013 — and moving on from the 59-year-old New York native never crossed his mind. Ditto for Stoutland who had been rumored to be seeking a return to coach college football at Alabama.

Boy I hope that isn't true.  That would be such a huge loss if Stout left to go back to coaching at the college level.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Boy I hope that isn't true.  That would be such a huge loss if Stout left to go back to coaching at the college level.  

Yes - he is our best position coach by a long way. Capable of turning anyone into a good O-Lineman with the exception of Matt Pryor. Invaluable to the Eagles.

Got to say I was a bit panicked when I read the headline, but while I wish Toth the best, we can definitely live without him.

5 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yes - he is our best position coach by a long way. Capable of turning anyone into a good O-Lineman with the exception of Matt Pryor. Invaluable to the Eagles.

Got to say I was a bit panicked when I read the headline, but while I wish Toth the best, we can definitely live without him.

And Dillard it would seem.  

I would hardly call Brett Toth surgery a "hit" on the OL.

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

Dillard is a good LT - he's not a bust.

9 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I would say he's a top 5 position coach in the entire NFL.  Now that Dante Scarnecchia is retired, probably the undisputed best OL coach in the NFL

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Procus said:

I wouldn’t label him a bust but I think he has a lot to show that he is a "good” LT.  IMHO thus far he is just "OK”.  Certainly not playing to the level expected of a 1st rd pick (and then some since we traded up for him).  And to think, Baltimore took Hollywood Brown with the pick we traded from to get Dillard.  Ouch

• Like 1

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

2 hours ago, Procus said:

Dillard was a nightmare at RT, but he’s been solid to good at LT.  Interesting to see what they do with him in his contract year. I’d trade him for a second or more, but otherwise keep ax a valuable backup next year.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:04 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

Dillard was a nightmare at RT, but he’s been solid to good at LT.  Interesting to see what they do with him in his contract year. I’d trade him for a second or more, but otherwise keep ax a valuable backup next year.

He'd be a lot more valuable if he could play more than one position. I recall reading that Stoutland was working with him to play R. Tackle. One thing Seumalo has going for him is I think he can play all 5 OL positions competently. That is valuable.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:35 AM, time2rock said:

Not quite the hit the headline makes it seem to be. Dickerson, Seumalo, Driscoll, Clark, Awisoka, Opeta, Herbig, and Anderson are all still there and we won't have the opening day roster space for all of them. 

18 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Not quite the hit the headline makes it seem to be. Dickerson, Seumalo, Driscoll, Clark, Awisoka, Opeta, Herbig, and Anderson are all still there and we won't have the opening day roster space for all of them. 

Guess it is slow news time as it relates to the Eagles so anything to get a click.  

On 1/26/2022 at 11:04 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

I think Cincinnati might be interested.