Eagles: Projecting a contract extension for RB Miles Sanders

time2rock

Miles-Sanders-1-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

January 26, 2022 8:56 pm ET

The NFL is all about loading up on young, dynamic talent, and as Philadelphia continues a massive rebuild at key positions, one player on the roster is due for a new contract.

We’ve previously discussed the future of star running back Miles Sanders, and depending on whom you ask, the young running back is either a star in the making or a guy that the Eagles should part ways with when his deal expires.

A 2019 second-round pick, Sanders won’t have to worry about a fifth-year option and 2022 will be the final year on his rookie contract.

The 2021 season was the third straight year that Sanders was unable to amass 1,000-yards rushing, but his overall value to the Eagles can’t be denied.

Reuben Frank of NBC Sports Philadelphia recently took a look at Sanders’ future with the organization, and even without the 1,000-yard season under his belt, the Eagles would be crazy to let Sanders hit the open market.

Sanders is one of only seven running backs to begin his career with three straight seasons of 750 rushing yards and a 4.5 average or better. The others are Brown, Earl Campbell, Nick Chubb, Abner Haynes, Barry Sanders, and Gale Sayers.

Even amid a historic lack of usage rate, Sanders still averages over 5-yards per carry and he’s the 9th player in league history to amass 750-yards and a 5.0 per carry average in consecutive seasons.

Here’s an early look at what a new deal for Sanders would look like.

Eagles contract approach to running backs

Miles-Sanders-stud.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

According to Spotrac, only the Bucs, 49ers, and Cardinals are paying out less money to the running back position going forward.

That number could increase if Leonard Fournette returns to Tampa.

The Eagles have benefited from a running back-by-committee approach over the past few years and the personnel could trend towards that way of playing regardless of Sanders getting a new deal.

In 2022, Sanders will earn a base salary of $1,224,569, while carrying a cap hit of $1,704,156 and a dead cap value of $479,587, so there’s no rush for a new deal, but moving early can always add value for Howie Roseman.

Highest paid running backs in the NFL 2022

Javon-Hargrave-Raequan-Williams-Eagles-s

Mandatory Credit: Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

Per OVER The CAP

Player Team Cap Number Cash Spent

Ezekiel Elliott Cowboys $18,220,000 $12,400,000

Derrick Henry Titans $15,000,000 $12,000,000

Alvin Kamara Saints $14,500,000 $11,500,000

Christian McCaffrey Panthers $14,309,500 $8,600,000

Dalvin Cook Vikings $12,001,272 $8,900,000

Joe Mixon Bengals $11,420,588 $8,700,000

Aaron Jones Packers $9,000,000 $5,750,000

Kenyan Drake Raiders $8,250,000 $8,000,000

Saquon Barkley Giants $7,217,000 $7,217,000

Austin Ekeler Chargers $7,000,000 $5,500,000

Chris Carson Seahawks $6,425,000 $4,925,000

Kareem Hunt Browns $6,250,000 $6,250,000

Tarik Cohen Bears $5,750,000 $4,000,000

Nick Chubb Browns $5,213,059 $4,213,059

Nyheim Hines Colts $5,140,000 $3,640,000

Jamaal Williams Lions $4,625,000 $4,000,000

Gus Edwards Ravens $4,500,000 $3,250,000

Josh Jacobs Raiders $3,796,990 $2,122,281

How Nyheim Hines new 3-year, $18.6M extension with Colts impacts Sanders

Nyheim-Hines-Miles-Sanders-contract-comp

Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Back in September, the Colts agreed to a contract extension with versatile running back Nyheim Hines, and the trickle-down impact will certainly reach Sanders.

Per Field Yates, the 3-year, $18.6 million contract extension with $12 million guaranteed, also included $6.2 million a year in new money per season making Hines one of the top 10 highest-paid running backs in the league, while tying him to Indianapolis through 2024.

A terrific dual-threat running back, Hines was drafted by the Colts in the 4th round, 104th overall of the 2018 NFL Draft, and compares significantly with Sanders.

Over his first three seasons, Hines has logged 893 rushing yards and 1,227 receiving yards, with 13 total touchdowns over that span.

Over his first two seasons, Sanders logged 1,685 rushing yards, 706-yards receiving, and 12 total touchdowns. During the 2021 NFL season, Sanders logged 754 rushing yards on 137 attempts, with 26 catches for 158-yards.

Projecting a Sanders deal

Miles-Sanders-MRI-broken-hand-1.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

Using the franchise tag on Sanders would cost the Eagles between $12M-$16M, while a fair value extension would be less taxing on the salary cap.

From a production and value standpoint alone, Sanders’ first three years of work should get him a fair deal that averages somewhere in between the $7.0 million per year Austin Ekeler earns from the Chargers, up towards the $8 million per year that Kenyan Drake is getting from the Raiders.

A monster 2022 season for Sanders could force Philadelphia into the $12 million per season that Nick Chubbs (Browns), Joe Mixon (Bengals), Derrick Henry (Titans), Aaron Jones (Packers), and Dalvin Cook (Vikings) all make.

It’s unlikely and with the Eagles rebuilding, Howie Roseman will likely aim more for the 3 years, $18.5M that would put Sanders in the company of Hines and other dual-threat backs without breaking the bank.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/eagles-miles-sanders-projecting-contract-extension-nfl/

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Miles-Sanders-1-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

January 26, 2022 8:56 pm ET

The NFL is all about loading up on young, dynamic talent, and as Philadelphia continues a massive rebuild at key positions, one player on the roster is due for a new contract.

We’ve previously discussed the future of star running back Miles Sanders, and depending on whom you ask, the young running back is either a star in the making or a guy that the Eagles should part ways with when his deal expires.

A 2019 second-round pick, Sanders won’t have to worry about a fifth-year option and 2022 will be the final year on his rookie contract.

The 2021 season was the third straight year that Sanders was unable to amass 1,000-yards rushing, but his overall value to the Eagles can’t be denied.

Reuben Frank of NBC Sports Philadelphia recently took a look at Sanders’ future with the organization, and even without the 1,000-yard season under his belt, the Eagles would be crazy to let Sanders hit the open market.

Sanders is one of only seven running backs to begin his career with three straight seasons of 750 rushing yards and a 4.5 average or better. The others are Brown, Earl Campbell, Nick Chubb, Abner Haynes, Barry Sanders, and Gale Sayers.

Even amid a historic lack of usage rate, Sanders still averages over 5-yards per carry and he’s the 9th player in league history to amass 750-yards and a 5.0 per carry average in consecutive seasons.

Here’s an early look at what a new deal for Sanders would look like.

Eagles contract approach to running backs

Miles-Sanders-stud.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

According to Spotrac, only the Bucs, 49ers, and Cardinals are paying out less money to the running back position going forward.

That number could increase if Leonard Fournette returns to Tampa.

The Eagles have benefited from a running back-by-committee approach over the past few years and the personnel could trend towards that way of playing regardless of Sanders getting a new deal.

In 2022, Sanders will earn a base salary of $1,224,569, while carrying a cap hit of $1,704,156 and a dead cap value of $479,587, so there’s no rush for a new deal, but moving early can always add value for Howie Roseman.

Highest paid running backs in the NFL 2022

Javon-Hargrave-Raequan-Williams-Eagles-s

Mandatory Credit: Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

Per OVER The CAP

Player Team Cap Number Cash Spent

Ezekiel Elliott Cowboys $18,220,000 $12,400,000

Derrick Henry Titans $15,000,000 $12,000,000

Alvin Kamara Saints $14,500,000 $11,500,000

Christian McCaffrey Panthers $14,309,500 $8,600,000

Dalvin Cook Vikings $12,001,272 $8,900,000

Joe Mixon Bengals $11,420,588 $8,700,000

Aaron Jones Packers $9,000,000 $5,750,000

Kenyan Drake Raiders $8,250,000 $8,000,000

Saquon Barkley Giants $7,217,000 $7,217,000

Austin Ekeler Chargers $7,000,000 $5,500,000

Chris Carson Seahawks $6,425,000 $4,925,000

Kareem Hunt Browns $6,250,000 $6,250,000

Tarik Cohen Bears $5,750,000 $4,000,000

Nick Chubb Browns $5,213,059 $4,213,059

Nyheim Hines Colts $5,140,000 $3,640,000

Jamaal Williams Lions $4,625,000 $4,000,000

Gus Edwards Ravens $4,500,000 $3,250,000

Josh Jacobs Raiders $3,796,990 $2,122,281

How Nyheim Hines new 3-year, $18.6M extension with Colts impacts Sanders

Nyheim-Hines-Miles-Sanders-contract-comp

Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Back in September, the Colts agreed to a contract extension with versatile running back Nyheim Hines, and the trickle-down impact will certainly reach Sanders.

Per Field Yates, the 3-year, $18.6 million contract extension with $12 million guaranteed, also included $6.2 million a year in new money per season making Hines one of the top 10 highest-paid running backs in the league, while tying him to Indianapolis through 2024.

A terrific dual-threat running back, Hines was drafted by the Colts in the 4th round, 104th overall of the 2018 NFL Draft, and compares significantly with Sanders.

Over his first three seasons, Hines has logged 893 rushing yards and 1,227 receiving yards, with 13 total touchdowns over that span.

Over his first two seasons, Sanders logged 1,685 rushing yards, 706-yards receiving, and 12 total touchdowns. During the 2021 NFL season, Sanders logged 754 rushing yards on 137 attempts, with 26 catches for 158-yards.

Projecting a Sanders deal

Miles-Sanders-MRI-broken-hand-1.jpg

Mandatory Credit: Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

Using the franchise tag on Sanders would cost the Eagles between $12M-$16M, while a fair value extension would be less taxing on the salary cap.

From a production and value standpoint alone, Sanders’ first three years of work should get him a fair deal that averages somewhere in between the $7.0 million per year Austin Ekeler earns from the Chargers, up towards the $8 million per year that Kenyan Drake is getting from the Raiders.

A monster 2022 season for Sanders could force Philadelphia into the $12 million per season that Nick Chubbs (Browns), Joe Mixon (Bengals), Derrick Henry (Titans), Aaron Jones (Packers), and Dalvin Cook (Vikings) all make.

It’s unlikely and with the Eagles rebuilding, Howie Roseman will likely aim more for the 3 years, $18.5M that would put Sanders in the company of Hines and other dual-threat backs without breaking the bank.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/eagles-miles-sanders-projecting-contract-extension-nfl/

Just to quantify the sheer scale of 'Monster Season' season Sanders would need to justify getting the same money as Chubb or Henry, to match Chubb's production over his first 4 seasons, he'd need 2377 yards and 27TD's, To match Derrick Henry's first 4 seasons (2 of which Henry spent as a change of pace and goal line back), he'd need 1394 yards and 29 TD's, to match Henry's last 4 season's he'd need to become God himself, Henry got 180 yards more rushing and only 4 yards less receiving than Sanders managed last year, in 8 games.

Chubb, Henry, Cook, Mixon and Jones all have single seasons that contained more TD's than Sander's 3 year career to date.

I'm no contract genius but I'd take my chances that Sanders isn't going to reset the tailback market in 2023, the idea he might is ridiculous honestly, Hines being the most overpaid back up tailback in the league is no guide for what Sanders is worth to the Eagles, there's no indication Sanders could handle the workload that would justify a top ten contract, having elite yards per carry on half the workload doesn't make you worth the same as the guy who's toting the rock 10 times a game more than you are.

To me, Sanders' significant lack of power in his running makes him a shifty change of pace back. He's not a top shelf HB1 because of that limitation. Could be the best HB2 in the league but belongs as a HB2.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

To me, Sanders' significant lack of power in his running makes him a shifty change of pace back. He's not a top shelf HB1 because of that limitation. Could be the best HB2 in the league but belongs as a HB2.

I disagree, I think when healthy he is absolutely a good starting RB. The issue is he’s rarely healthy. 

I don’t think he gets extended for that reason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nipples said:

I disagree, I think when healthy he is absolutely a good starting RB. The issue is he’s rarely healthy. 

I don’t think he gets extended for that reason. 

I like Miles but I don't think I would extend him either.  I'd either let him play out his rookie contract then walk in FA (and hope for a comp pick) or see if they can find a team willing to give up a late day 2 or early day 3 pick for him this offseason and move him.  Draft another and play Gainwell more.  It just doesn't make much sense to me in today's NFL to pay RBs much unless you have someone elite which he is not (and even elite, not sure if it is worth paying premium $).  

No thanks. Sanders is a very good player no doubt but he's hurt too much and I just don't think tieing up money in the RB position is a smart move. 

Honestly I think with another offseason of prep Gainwell can be about as good as Sanders and, hopefully, have fewer injury issues 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nipples said:

Honestly I think with another offseason of prep Gainwell can be about as good as Sanders and, hopefully, have fewer injury issues 

And is at a fraction of the cost. I like Sanders but he's had a number of injury issues and he does have those fumbling issues. RB is not an area we should be investing heavily in. 

Not a difference maker.  Trade him for a 4 and draft a kid who's younger cheaper and healthier

• Like 1

22 hours ago, weko said:

Not a difference maker.  Trade him for a 4 and draft a kid who's younger cheaper and healthier

and a banger

IMO, Sanders isn't worth giving a Hines type 2nd contract to.  He's injured too often, his lack of football IQ (running OOB TWICE while the team was trying to run out the clock as one example), though he does gain positive yards and can do it in chunks he also doesn't have above average vision and does miss holes for big gains too often, he has regressed in the passing game since his rookie season, and how many times this season did we see him fail to score a TD on 1st & goal (and 2nd/3rd) situations?

I don't want to invest that kind of cap space into a RB who isn't a true #1 and isn't consistent in all aspects of his position. 

Now if the Eagles don't sign a FA WR, one who could be paired across from Smith on the outside (if they do then IMO they could mix Smith and Watkins outside/slot to create mismatches) then what I'd like to see is Gainwell as the slot WR.  He ran routes in college as a WR and honestly is a better route runner than Reagor (and with better hands) and is more athletic and explosive than Ward could ever hope to be.  He'd be an instant upgrade over both of them.  They could still give him 5-7 carries/game using him like a 'lesser' version of Deebo Samuel.  Scott is fine as change of pace RB3.  Howard is the power back we need, but he's been oft injured and has little to no explosiveness.  We could find a younger, healthier, and more explosive version of him in the draft in Rounds 4/5. 

So for 2022 the 2 main RBs would be Sanders and a drafted rookie with Scott and Huntley looked decent vs the Cowgirl D starters so he could be RB4.  Then draft another RB in 2023 to take Sanders' spot and keep the younger and cheaper RBBC going behind one of the best OLs in the League.  Use that money elsewhere to make the team better overall.  RBs that are that dynamic and deserve big bucks are rare nowadays.