Philadelphia Draft Fails

iladelphxx

5 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

FB_IMG_1644908275021.thumb.jpg.378a3e710e814d474c98d22458e60cd6.jpg

Seems impossible but this is Philadelphia. At least Ben and Wentz returned some value back to their teams. Moniak, Fultz, Patrick and Okafor were all time whiffs.

• Like 1

Okafor was such a good college player. It's hard to predict how these guys are going to transition to the NBA. 

• Like 2

Antone Davis was a big fail.  A rare 1st round OT selection at the time who was a big ol’ bust.  He became the poster child for why it was "dumb” to select an O lineman in the 1st round.

On 2/15/2022 at 4:40 PM, MIRV Griffen said:

Antone Davis was a big fail.  A rare 1st round OT selection at the time who was a big ol’ bust.  He became the poster child for why it was "dumb” to select an O lineman in the 1st round.

Danny Watkins was another one, although not drafted quite as high, a complete whiff on assessing his commitment to the game. We do have to respect the fact that he's serving as a firefighter, which is not an easy job by any means.

However, in the grand scheme of things, management should have been able to pick up on the fact that football was not his true passion but rather something he just happened to be good at in college. From a football standpoint, one of our biggest 1st round busts, even bigger than Marcus Smith, who at least posted a few sacks in his career over a few year span and was not expected to be a 1st round pick until the Eagles selected him.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2022 at 12:00 PM, Gannan said:

Okafor was such a good college player. It's hard to predict how these guys are going to transition to the NBA. 

Meh, that one wasn't that hard to see. A back to the basket black hole who was terrible on defense. With the direction the league was going with guards and stretch bigs it was a pretty stupid pick if you think about it. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Meh, that one wasn't that hard to see. A back to the basket black hole who was terrible on defense. With the direction the league was going with guards and stretch bigs it was a pretty stupid pick if you think about it. 

Plus while he was at duke during the NCAA tournament they had to take them off the court in crunch time because his defense was bad and his offense didn’t overcome how bad it was. Like you said with league trending to what it was, it wasn’t a smart pick.

The other issue comes down the report (if accurate) that Sam hinkie wanted Porzingis but Porzingis said he wouldn’t come over if the sixers drafted him. Ownership said they didn’t want nothing to show for a year of tanking. Frankly ownership should’ve been fine with it because they went on the tank for another two years anyways. so it would’ve helped and i think Porzingis would’ve eventually come over once embiid and Simmons got the ground running. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Plus while he was at duke during the NCAA tournament they had to take them off the court in crunch time because his defense was bad and his offense didn’t overcome how bad it was. Like you said with league trending to what it was, it wasn’t a smart pick.

The other issue comes down the report (if accurate) that Sam hinkie wanted Porzingis but Porzingis said he wouldn’t come over if the sixers drafted him. Ownership said they didn’t want nothing to show for a year of tanking. Frankly ownership should’ve been fine with it because they went on the tank for another two years anyways. so it would’ve helped and i think Porzingis would’ve eventually come over once embiid and Simmons got the ground running. 

I always see the porzingis thing come up and while he would of helped more and would of been a better asset I don't know how much he changes things either. With all the injuries and attitude problems. Then again if he stays healthy that might have put them out of the running for the top pick the following year.

We have all this hindsight working against Simmons and we saw what happened but, he was the right pick 110% there was way way way to much upside to not take him. I think Ingram would have fit better in the end obviously but, do they wait for him to get to where he is now? I don't think they do, Ingram was still pretty raw coming out. 

8 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I always see the porzingis thing come up and while he would of helped more and would of been a better asset I don't know how much he changes things either. With all the injuries and attitude problems. Then again if he stays healthy that might have put them out of the running for the top pick the following year.

We have all this hindsight working against Simmons and we saw what happened but, he was the right pick 110% there was way way way to much upside to not take him. I think Ingram would have fit better in the end obviously but, do they wait for him to get to where he is now? I don't think they do, Ingram was still pretty raw coming out. 

I’m assuming he doesn’t come over for a while if the sixers drafted him. That’s what his agent put out there. So I’m guessing the following year he’s not even here. Frankly i dont think he comes until they likely draft Simmons the following year. Either way he was still a better asset then okafor. Okafor was a bad asset the moment they drafted him. He was a dinosaur that was playing in the nba 20 years too late. 

Ingram lacked strength too is another thing he was dinged about. People thought his size and body he could be a KD eventually. But it was gonna take time due to him being so young and developing. Frankly if they didn’t get Simmons they likely aren’t a 3 seed in "Ben’s rookie season” (second year). Probably miss the playoffs or a 7-8 seed. Then again likely aren’t as bad the rookie year Simmons broke his foot so not picking as high to trade up to get fultz. 

• Like 1

I’m assuming he doesn’t come over for a while if the sixers drafted him. That’s what his agent put out there. So I’m guessing the following year he’s not even here. Frankly i dont think he comes until they likely draft Simmons the following year. Either way he was still a better asset then okafor. Okafor was a bad asset the moment they drafted him. He was a dinosaur that was playing in the nba 20 years too late. 

Ingram lacked strength too is another thing he was dinged about. People thought his size and body he could be a KD eventually. But it was gonna take time due to him being so young and developing. Frankly if they didn’t get Simmons they likely aren’t a 3 seed in "Ben’s rookie season” (second year). Probably miss the playoffs or a 7-8 seed. Then again likely aren’t as bad the rookie year Simmons broke his foot so not picking as high to trade up to get fultz. 

I'm still pissed the Lakers got rid of Ingram... It got them a championship but at what cost? LeBron saved the franchise and destroyed it within 3 years. They have no future and no assets. They have 16 championships it was unnecessary to destroy it for 1 more championship to what could now be a good 10 yrs of absolute sheet. 

Sorry Kobe but, I still don't want LeBron lol. 

The front office kicked Jerry west out of the building for Christ sakes. What a mess. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm still pissed the Lakers got rid of Ingram... It got them a championship but at what cost? LeBron saved the franchise and destroyed it within 3 years. They have no future and no assets. They have 16 championships it was unnecessary to destroy it for 1 more championship to what could now be a good 10 yrs of absolute sheet. 

Sorry Kobe but, I still don't want LeBron lol. 

I wouldn’t have done that deal for Davis. Frankly as good as Davis is, he’s injury prone. Has some of the same issues kyrie has. Where he misses a ton of time nearly every year. You are basically hoping he stays healthy when it matters most. Tbh not sure the lakers win that title in the bubble without the 3.5 months off. We will never know but that 3.5 month break benefitted/helped rather than playing straight through the regular season into the playoffs. 

The worse deal might wind up being the westbrook deal cause KCP, kuzma are much better at this stages of their career to help on building a title team then westbrook. Everyone knew westbrook was going to be a disaster  

Was listening to Sirius, they suggested seeing if the lakers could deal Lebron and Davis this offseason and get some assets back to rebuild. They’ll never do it but it was fascinating having them talk about it. 

• Like 1

Was listening to Sirius, they suggested seeing if the lakers could deal Lebron and Davis this offseason and get some assets back to rebuild. They’ll never do it but it was fascinating having them talk about it. 

I wouldn't put it past the Lakers to figure sone way of getting rid of one of them. They are irrattated to all hell with LeBron. Especially since he passive aggressively kept putting them on blast for not doing what he demanded at the trade deadline. Palinka was Kobe's agent he 100% has the balls to send him on his way. AD is interesting because he has basically become an extension of LeBron with opening his mouth too. Like you said he can be great but I'm just over the injuries with that guy. Even without them he isn't always elite and needs a kick in the ass to get him going. 

I'm also still pissed about KCP, I don't mind Kuzma he just didn't perform like they hoped but KCP is an amazing role player. Thats why I keep going on about role players for the sixers. They are vital in the playoffs. 

9 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I wouldn't put it past the Lakers to figure sone way of getting rid of one of them. They are irrattated to all hell with LeBron. Especially since he passive aggressively kept putting them on blast for not doing what he demanded at the trade deadline. Palinka was Kobe's agent he 100% has the balls to send him on his way. AD is interesting because he has basically become an extension of LeBron with opening his mouth too. Like you said he can be great but I'm just over the injuries with that guy. Even without them he isn't always elite and needs a kick in the ass to get him going. 

I'm also still pissed about KCP, I don't mind Kuzma he just didn't perform like they hoped but KCP is an amazing role player. Thats why I keep going on about role players for the sixers. They are vital in the playoffs. 

I think they’d get a bunch back to Davis tbh. Picks probably wouldn’t be good as the first they had given up but you likely get some nice players. I could see a team like the Celtics willing to make that deal (lakers Celtics trade would be nuts though considering the rivalry). I could see Miami trying to unload bam and other pieces if they fail this year. I also think a team like suns might be willing to give up ayton and some picks for Davis considering they don’t think ayton is a max and would deal him for a player they do. I think another sleeper is Golden state. I don’t rule them out of anything. I think they’d happily give up wiseman, kuminga, moody and picks and find away to make the money work. 

tbh i think the sixers best chance is going to be next year when they have an offseason to add pieces and figure out how to deal harris and get other pieces in place.  

I think they’d get a bunch back to Davis tbh. Picks probably wouldn’t be good as the first they had given up but you likely get some nice players. I could see a team like the Celtics willing to make that deal (lakers Celtics trade would be nuts though considering the rivalry). I could see Miami trying to unload bam and other pieces if they fail this year. I also think a team like suns might be willing to give up ayton and some picks for Davis considering they don’t think ayton is a max and would deal him for a player they do. I think another sleeper is Golden state. I don’t rule them out of anything. I think they’d happily give up wiseman, kuminga, moody and picks and find away to make the money work. 

tbh i think the sixers best chance is going to be next year when they have an offseason to add pieces and figure out how to deal harris and get other pieces in place.  

I'd be shocked if they would send AD to the Celtics... He still talks about how he will never play for the Celtics, more so his dad but AD says it too. 

12 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'd be shocked if they would send AD to the Celtics... He still talks about how he will never play for the Celtics, more so his dad but AD says it too. 

I think it’s more from purely a lakers perspective that they’d want to make that trade with Boston. They likely could get jaylen brown out of it (assuming it goes wrong in the playoffs). Ad would likely hate going there. Though i do think Boston is arrogant enough to believe they could make him change his mind if he got there. 

• 1 month later...

Its my fault. I prayed for a SB win. I made the deal with the devil. Told him I didnt care if the entire city drafted nothing but scrubs for the next 20 years and our teams finished bottom of the barrel for 20 years. For 1 SB WIN.  And...we got it. Now we reap.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, What The F said:

Its my fault. I prayed for a SB win. I made the deal with the devil. Told him I didnt care if the entire city drafted nothing but scrubs for the next 20 years and our teams finished bottom of the barrel for 20 years. For 1 SB WIN.  And...we got it. Now we reap.  

Still worth it. I never thought I'd ever see it. The game, the parade all of it, just can't be beat. 

• Like 3

The way the Wentz thing fell apart sucks but it was worth it. Without that MVP season and the #1 seed we probably don't win the SB this city had been wanting for decades. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 11:46 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well, that #3 pick was a miserable no-mans land.  Okafor's inability to translate to the NBA was a concern shared by everyone, including the 76ers. 

Booker was the prize of that draft...and he was the best shooter in that draft when we all knew the NBA was going in that direction.  But for every Booker, you get a Nik Stauskas.  Even though he should have been on our radar for fit and league direction, no one was considering him top 5.  

The 76ers were in the mood for collecting assets, and Okafor at #3 seemed (to them) to hold the most value, as he was previously in the discussion for #1 overall.

There were some pretty horrific prospects with low ceilings and high risk who went top 15 in that draft.  I'm not defending the Okafor selection, but that was a bad draft.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 2:38 PM, iladelphxx said:

JJAW is now a TE 🤣

Still a top-notch redzone threat though. Throw that fade to the corner, baby.

• Like 1