Post Combine Mock (3-7-22)

Infam

So I know one shouldn't be too impressed by the combine but... I thought what the heck it's fun after all. So I did factor in my impressions super hard to change things up a bit.

I don't know why, but I am not that high on either DE or WR. I understand that both positions are considered strong and deep and I won't have a problem with it at all if we took either or both but still.

Not picking a DE (our biggest need) nor a receiver (notoriously expensive in FA) poses some problems for free agency, but at least there are plenty of probably very expensive options to chose from, while finding a CB or S at that level may be almost impossible (is it?).

We trade Dillard for a third and use two of our sixes to move a bit on the board. I like the idea of three picks each day.

Draft:

1- Kaiir Elam, CB: While he is all over the board in projections (some have him in the second round, no way though), he is a premier corner in this draft and still my favorite to boot. He is fast, physical and has all it takes to form a formidable duo with Slay.

1- Jordan Davis, DT: In terms of pure positional value a DE would be preferable, but lets argue there are only second tier available would you pass on this freak really? I know I wouldn't, Roseman said he wanted traits, here's freak traits.

1- Daxton Hill, S: I understand that people are all over another safety this year, but Hill is a rare breed. He is very smart and an excellent tackler, positional versatility (slot corner) at top speed included. I think he is the best safety in a long time, there I said it.

2- Daniel Faalele, RT: So we missed out on Linderbaum, but with this guy we still add another premium talent to the line of the future. The 23 year old Australian is the same height and slightly heavier than Mailata who is 24. Amazing that I am even able to write that given the monstrous freak size of Mailata. Don't expect this to be the rule now. This still is the rare exception and we need to capitalize to have both tackle positions figured out moving forward. First impression is that he is trained a bit more than Mailata was, but is a bit heavier and less mobile. You'd still think in a good NFL conditioning learning from Lane and Stout a guy like this should.. blossom. 

3- Jelani Woods, TE: Tight End wasn't too high up my list, I'll admit. But really, what happens if Goedert misses some time? What if you need two TEs that can block? What if you want as many big targets you can field in the red zone? Woods could be a really good number two TE for a cheap third. He had a stellar combine and really fights for every inch. Can block too.

3- Christian Harris, LB: Not sure who will be available as every year LBs that aren't at the top tend to fall so I chose Harris after a very good combine of him here despite him usually viewed as a second rounder even before the good combine. The NFL just doesn't like to pick LBs high in general (outside a few top prospects I guess), it's not just the Eagles. Hope for a healthy year of Davion Taylor and another good third here and things could look different. Plus we still got Edwards and Singleton.

I know some think LB should be a higher pick. And while blaming Roseman is a sport to some, I'll once again agree: A first round LB usually is a bad idea. And that's just about positional value, not only on the field but especially in free agency. And while people usually hate the 'performance' at the position if we are really honest we have seen something recently. Now I agree that can't be it - but throwing a first at it seems too much for me.

4- Kevin Austin Jr., WR: Starting day three we now pick a receiver to warm the bench with Reagor. He's had a good combine and presents plenty athletic upside.

5- Kennedy Brooks, RB: More cheap young depth and he is a very underrated back. May not have all the physical gifts but he runs with extreme patience and vision so he will produce in the NFL and maybe a lot if he gets to play behind an elite line like ours.

6- Dominique Robinson, DE: Finally a prospect with elite athletic traits to roll the dice on.

Free Agency:

So the way the draft worked out we now need to add a DE and a WR here, plus a LB-DE hybrid would really work well for us.

- 77M/5y Haason Reddick, EDGE (age 27): He can not only play everywhere JG wants him to, he takes it to a very different level. Want to see how JG envisions his defense? Bring Reddick home. Big splash to have the system we want to use.

- 30M/3y Emmanuel Ogbah, DE (age 28): He had a good season with lots of QB hits. He is very consistent with his tackling and should fit right in. In a way he is probably right now what Ojabo in the draft probably will become after plenty of lessons in the NFL. And at that price he would help us right away.

- 45M/4y Christian Kirk, WR (age 25): Taking care of the slot feels like an afterthought for some, but that's just because the FA is full of 'slot' corners that just aren't good enough to play outside. It's different for Kirk, he actually is really good in the slot and can return it too. Kirk and Goedert would create a lot of pressure underneath which should open up things for Smith and Watkins. 

While it was difficult at first to not pick Linderbaum - and I still think he would be a big help for us moving forward - he may despite all the accolades just be a center. And we should know better with Kelce but then again he was drafted in the sixth so there you go. It's easy to think oh well I just take whatever corner and DE is available but unlike others I don't think there are to many top DEs or CBs available so it's quite possible we can't get both. Then again there are plenty of really good players to choose from where we will pick, so as long as it's about making really good bpa picks we will not need to trade up. Now that it's done I feel pretty good with these picks even without a single first going to the offense. I feel like this is a mix of very good players with serious abilities. With a draft like this I see us making some noise.

For the defensive line you now would have a premium rotation with Cox, Hargrave and Davis. Davis would be perfect in some 3-4 NT situations too. Outside you play BG, Ogbah and Sweat plus you got Reddick and Milton moving around.. that's pretty brutal especially with Slay and Elam behind and a star safety like Hill. Much improved no doubt and both with premium picks and two excellent veteran FAs at the peak of their career. That's the mix we will need for an elite defense.

On offense you add an excellent slot plus premium depth with lots of upside at RT, TE, WR and RB. Not as big of an investment here but still the much improved depth everywhere would be felt eventually.

Infam is back - that's terrific. Glad to hear from you my friend. 

Love the first round, hate the second. 

I don't see a need for a tackle especially that early.  Even if you see Faalele as a potential starter, it'll be at least 2 years and probably more until Lane Johnson retires. Johnson's contract, with all of the restructures, is too much to shed before then. I'd rather see Eze, Waletzko,  or Dietch in the 4th or 5th. Safety, running back or linebacker, and even another corner is where I'd be looking here. 

Tight end it is on the 3rd - I'm not sure which one, but you hit the nail on the head with the position. If Harris is still there, run to the podium. I think he'll be gone but Qway Walker should be there. 

I'm ok with Austin. Good find and a new name for the board to look at. 

Not real happy with Kennedy Brooks. This year the Eagles need a big running back to replace Howard. 

You signed 2 pass rushers in free agency, why take another. We still have Sweat, BG, Tarron Jackson, and Malveaux to round out the room. How about a punter here?

Thanks for the read!

3 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Infam is back - that's terrific. Glad to hear from you my friend. 

I don't see a need for a tackle especially that early.  Even if you see Faalele as a potential starter, it'll be at least 2 years and probably more until Lane Johnson retires. Johnson's contract, with all of the restructures, is too much to shed before then. I'd rather see Eze, Waletzko,  or Dietch in the 4th or 5th. Safety, running back or linebacker, and even another corner is where I'd be looking here. 

Tight end it is on the 3rd - I'm not sure which one, but you hit the nail on the head with the position. If Harris is still there, run to the podium. I think he'll be gone but Qway Walker should be there. 

Not real happy with Kennedy Brooks. This year the Eagles need a big running back to replace Howard. 

You signed 2 pass rushers in free agency, why take another. We still have Sweat, BG, Tarron Jackson, and Malveaux to round out the room. How about a punter here?

Thanks for the read!

actually as a post june 1st cut next year we save 14 million… he usually misses a few games a year and will soon be 33 could you imagine having those two aussy boys on the line for the next 8-10 years? 

21C91C94-96DF-4394-8DB7-CDCC6045FDDB.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Imagine Mailata -as he is now- would not be on our team but in the draft. Would you give one of our first round picks for him? I would in a heartbeat. So if you can grab a prospect that has the rare physical traits and some experience for the other side? On the cheap for years too? For a second rounder? Well I like it. He even spoke with both the Eagles and Mailata already. Only question remaining in my mind is: Can he play an instrument?

Woods had a really good combine and would be a perfect backup rookie with some time on the field. As for LB I really liked Davion Taylor when he played. Edwards and Singleton are at least ok depth and if you find a decent one in the third plus Taylor stays healthy things could look very different all of a sudden.

I agree, if there was a guy on that level in the fifth that would be ideal. What I am saying is that because of the physical traits this man is under the radar, but he is a good player.

Matt Waldman's RSP Boiler Room No. 330 Kennedy Brooks (OU): The Mild-Mannered Magician - YouTube

Thanks for the read!

I don't see it as "pass rushers". Even if you do there still is room for more, but the way I see it I took a mid range pure DE that had excellent production to play with BG and Sweat. And the big splash is Reddick who will be a piece that can be moved. He might be OLB, DE or even the SAM position I'd think. A three man rotation inside and outside plus Milton and Reddick as most variable pieces. Obviously JG will try to move around others too where possible. Imagine upgrading Avery with ReddIck, things would look.. different.

As for all three of these FAs I think age and price align really well with what I expect they can do for our team. I'm confident we would not regret those three but this is a pretty good free agency so there are a few good options available. Still I think the Eagles might try to go for players in the 25-28 range.

Punter is a good choice too, but recently the Eagles liked to pull them out of a magic hat without using picks so whatever works I suppose.