Chris Rock in Philly

EaglesRocker97

I just noticed that they added two dates in Philly last night, and I just nabbed 4 tix for Sept. 24 at The Met. I wanted to go on my birthday, the 23rd, but they were selling out FAST. Never seen him live and definitely pumped to go.

Anyone else gettin in on this tour?

I have seen him a few times in early 2000’s and was always a great set. Have seen his brother Tony a few times as well and his set in DC might have been most I’ve ever laughed at a comedy show.

Tickets were a tad expensive even back then, so this will probably be more so considering. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, homerpat said:

I have seen him a few times in early 2000’s and was always a great set. Have seen his brother Tony a few times as well and his set in DC might have been most I’ve ever laughed at a comedy show.

Early 2000s was probably his heyday. So much of his routine from back then would not fly today.

I had no idea his brother was a comedian, too.

I heard he's doing slapstick comedy now.

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 4

On 4/1/2022 at 1:24 PM, EaglesRocker97 said:

Early 2000s was probably his heyday. So much of his routine from back then would not fly today.

I had no idea his brother was a comedian, too.

My wife took me when we were in DC for weekend and I was like Tony Rock?!?!  Wtf. what garbage show did you get tickets too and honestly he was great. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TRIGGER WARNING: EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE (Please don't ban me!)

Circa 1996. This might've been his first major HBO appearance.

I think I'm gonna spend the next few months reviewing these old specials, and since I can't share this on social media without getting skewered by at least one self-important Millennial, the EMB will have to suffice. This was probably the bit that hooked me when I first saw it around age 12/13 (my parents were thankfully laid back A.F.). If I recall correctly, I even enjoyed watching this with one of my good friends, who was basically the token Black kid in my neighborhood and our extremely preppy middle school. We laughed our asses off together.

The funny thing is how this was highly provocative even for the times, but Chris pretty much got an automatic pass as Black man passing of some harsh criticism of his own race as a satirical expression of self-loathing, and he did it with a unique delivery with a mix of confidence and attitude that kids today would call "swag," but with a measure of shamelessness and aggression that they wouldn't be able to handle. I'm sure the SJWs and many from his own tribe would break out the pitchforks in a hot second if this aired today. Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't resurfaced in a contemporary Twitter mob crusade. But this was a refreshing example of observational comedy with a minority proposing a kind of self-reflective social critique that made you laugh and nod: "Hey, I didn't say it, he did." But even cracking a smile at this in the public square today would probably get you burned at the stake. Chris really did Bring the Pain, but contemporary society has on threshold for it anymore.

For me, it's Pryor, Carlin, Rock, and all the rest. Chris is easily the GOAT of his era.

8 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

TRIGGER WARNING: EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE (Please don't ban me!)

Circa 1996. This might've been his first major HBO appearance.

I think I'm gonna spend the next few months reviewing these old specials, and since I can't share this on social media without getting skewered by at least one self-important Millennial, the EMB will have to suffice. This was probably the bit that hooked me when I first saw it around age 12/13 (my parents were thankfully laid back A.F.). If I recall correctly, I even enjoyed watching this with one of my good friends, who was basically the token Black kid in my neighborhood and our extremely preppy middle school. We laughed our asses off together.

The funny thing is how this was highly provocative even for the times, but Chris pretty much got an automatic pass as Black man passing of some harsh criticism of his own race as a satirical expression of self-loathing, and he did it with a unique delivery with a mix of confidence and attitude that kids today would call "swag," but with a measure of shamelessness and aggression that they wouldn't be able to handle. I'm sure the SJWs and many from his own tribe would break out the pitchforks in a hot second if this aired today. Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't resurfaced in a contemporary Twitter mob crusade. But this was a refreshing example of observational comedy with a minority proposing a kind of self-reflective social critique that made you laugh and nod: "Hey, I didn't say it, he did." But even cracking a smile at this in the public square today would probably get you burned at the stake. Chris really did Bring the Pain, but contemporary society has on threshold for it anymore.

For me, it's Pryor, Carlin, Rock, and all the rest. Chris is easily the GOAT of his era.

I put this special and Chapelle’s Killin Them Softly as the two best HBO produced in the 90’s. both flawless

• Like 1

• 5 months later...