New Eagles Mock - Something Different?

EaglesAddict

Now that we have our 2023 1st secured thanks to the Eagles/Saints trade, I'm gonna take a stab at a new mock...

This is going to be based on a blend of what I think the Eagles will do and what I want them to do...albeit thinking a little outside of the norm. To be clear, there are multiple players I'd love to see the Eagles get in Round 1, this is just one exercise and I'm just thinking outside the box here a little too.  It is for entertainment, right?  Right.  

Round 1: Trade!  The Eagles work out a trade with Atlanta to move up from 15 to 8.  Eagles give up their 2nd round pick.

8. CB Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner, 6' 3" 190 lbs, Cincinnati

The trading up part is what I think the Eagles will do, but getting Sauce is what I want them to do in this exercise.  Gardner is a slam-dunk at the CB position.  We're talking perennial all-pro.  The Eagles' need is obvious and actually even more-so if you start to consider that Darius Slay is 31 so how much longer does he have left?  The Eagles brought Gardner in for a pre-draft visit so there is some level of interest or curiosity.  

Round 1: Trade again! This time we move back.  The Chiefs want to ensure they have weapons for Mahomes so they move up to get a top WR. The deal: Eagles get pick 29 and their 2nd rounder, pick 62 (value pretty close based on trade value chart).

29. DT Perrion Winfrey, 6' 4" 290 lbs, Oklahoma

In an alternate exercise (and probably the more realistic one), I'd have the Eagles trading up for DT Jordan Davis instead of Gardner.  But, I think I'd love this scenario more.  Winfrey is kinda under the radar a little bit, likely due to an inconsistent season this past year.  But he may have been mis-used a little bit.  He exploded during Senior Bowl week and also during the game.  We all know Howie loves him some Senior Bowl standouts.  I think Winfrey is better than Devonte Wyatt and will probably be drafted ahead of Wyatt (contrary to what the mainstream mock drafters think).

Round 2 Pick 62: WR Alec Pierce, 6' 3" 211 lbs, Cincinnati

Pierce was somewhat under the radar but his stock is rising after he caught some attention by posting an unofficial 4.33 40 time at the Combine (later declared as an "official" 4.41).  Either way, he's fast and athletic.  He has good size, is a deep threat and has all the tools to develop into an excellent compliment to Smith on the outside.  It would be a nice touch by Howie to trade out of 18 to the Chiefs so they could draft a WR, then we draft a WR with the 2nd rounder we get from them in the deal and he turns out to be pretty damn good.  If George Pickens is on the board here, I'd consider him as well.

Round 3: Trade!  Howie moves up again, this time teaming up with old friend (or adversary?) Dougie P in Jacksonville.  The deal: Eagles give up their 4th rounder and their last 5th rounder to move up 13 slots.

70: DE Sam Williams, 6' 4" 261 lbs, Mississippi

Williams performed well at the Combine to back-up the 12.5 sacks (and 16 TFLs) he posted last season.  It's questionable if he will even be here at this pick given his traits, production and position importance, but I generally see him ranked somewhere between late 2nd - late 3rd round.  Williams would be a steal at this point and Howie isn't afraid to pounce.  Williams would be ideal to learn while playing in a heavy rotation this year before becoming a starter next year. 

Round 3 Pick 101: S Nick Cross, 6' 212 lbs, Maryland

There is absolutely no question that the Eagles need to address the Safety position.  I'd also be on board if they decided to address this sooner in the draft with players such as Brisker, Cine or Hill.  But, Cross is a pretty decent prospect in his own right.  He blew up the Combine with a 4.34 40 time, 37" vertical and 130" broad jump.  He can also lay the wood.  Like Williams above, I think it's questionable if he's still on the board at this pick, but hey, it's my mock so he is!:P

Round 5 Pick 154: C Cam Jurgens, 6' 3" 303 lbs, Nebraska

Jurgens has good athleticism and is drafted to be the heir apparent to Kelce.  One year working with Stoutland, Jurgens will be ready to step right in next season.  He has the tools for Stout to work with.

Round 5 Pick 162: OL Cade Mays, 6' 5" 311 lbs, Tennessee

Back to the trenches again.  Mays has played all 5 OL positions over his college career giving exactly the type of versatility the Eagles covet.  Many see Mays as a G in the NFL (RG in particular), but I would bet that the Eagles would cross train him between G and RT.  The Eagles need to start considering who will replace Lane Johnson in the not too distant future.  Between Mays and Driscoll, it could be one them.  In any case, we need options.  Mays is said to also have some nastiness to him...think Jon Runyan. 

Round 7 Pick 237: RB D'Vonte Price, 6' 1" 210 lbs, Florida International

Debated between a RB or Punter here.  I think either position we could find good enough value in a UDFA.  How many Punters are actually drafted?  Price could be a good value pick here.  He ran a 4.38 40 at the Combine, is thought of as good in pass protection and also has some experience returning Kickoffs.  Worth a flier here, for sure.

Not bad.  The biggest thing I'd change would be taking Travis Jones with that late 1 if he's still there.  Honestly only him and Jordan Davis fit what we look for in a DT. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, b_west3 said:

Not bad.  The biggest thing I'd change would be taking Travis Jones with that late 1 if he's still there.  Honestly only him and Jordan Davis fit what we look for in a DT. 

I do like Jones.  You think we are looking for more of a space-eater, nose-tackle type of DT?  I'm still under the impression we mainly prefer quicker, 1-gap penetrators.  Milton Williams is a 1-gapper.  That said, if you were to put a gun to my head, I think what the Eagles will do in Round 1 is trade up for Jordan Davis.  I think Davis is good enough to transcend any scheme, though.