Jason Peters says he can play into his 40s

Procus

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/12/jason-peters-says-he-can-play-into-his-40s/

Jason Peters says he can play into his 40s

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 12, 2020, 2:46 PM EDT

Free agent offensive tackle Jason Peters remains unsigned well into the offseason, but if any teams think the 38-year-old Peters is getting too old for the job, he’d like to disabuse them of that notion.

Peters won’t turn 40 until after the 2021 season, and he has told friends he can play that long and beyond.

"If Tom Brady can play into his 40s, I can play into my 40s. I feel great,” Peters has told friends, according to Mike Garafolo of NFL Network.

Peters has spent the last 11 years with the Eagles, and there has been talk that he could remain in Philadelphia, although the Eagles — who are in good salary cap shape in 2020 but have a lot of expensive contracts on their books in 2021 — haven’t seemed eager to add to their cap liabilities.

If Peters does sign elsewhere, the Browns, Jets and Broncos have been mentioned as teams with interest. But wherever he goes, he thinks he can play beyond just this year.

If he can stay relatively healthy in 2020, I can see him playing a couple more years. Should he suffer another severe injury with a long rehab, I think his mindset would likely change. He saw Sproles try to go out on a high note several times only to succumb to injury each time. The heart may be willing, but the body has to be able. I think Peters played over 80% of the snaps last year which was more than I expected out of him. Even though, I wouldn't call it likely, I'd say it is possible for him to start 16 games and surprise some people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quiet Boy said:

That's great but if he wants to do it in Philly than it has to be on the team's terms and price.

Anything else than good luck and goodbye.

Agreed - although I think there should be some flexibility built in for the team.  Not every team has a future HOF LT on the downside of his career who can still play at a high level.  With future HOF players, you bend a bit more in contract negotiations than you would otherwise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Procus said:

Agreed - although I think there should be some flexibility built in for the team.  Not every team has a future HOF LT on the downside of his career who can still play at a high level.  With future HOF players, you bend a bit more in contract negotiations than you would otherwise.

Neither do we.  He was on the downside 5 years ago.  His career should be over 

9 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Neither do we.  He was on the downside 5 years ago.  His career should be over 

Keep telling yourself that. He's still playing. He will still start for a team this year and he will still be better than at least half the starting LTs in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Keep telling yourself that. He's still playing. He will still start for a team this year and he will still be better than at least half the starting LTs in the NFL.

We'll see.

"I feel great" says a guy who has missed 12 of the last 48 games due to injury.  Even when he is healthy he misses a full quarter of the play because of one thing or another. 

If peters will play for is for less than$4  Mm a year than he’s fine as a starter/ rotational player. 

On 5/12/2020 at 9:51 PM, Procus said:

If Peters does sign elsewhere, the Browns, Jets and Broncos have been mentioned as teams with interest. But wherever he goes, he thinks he can play beyond just this year.

See to me this is rather telling. Its either a return to the team who he's been with practically his whole career, or it's go to a team who isn't a contender.