LeSean McCoy continues to campaign for a return to Eagles, saying 'I could see myself' back in Philly

EricAllenPick6

All of our former players want to come back?  I think they are confusing this place with a retirement home.  Still, he wouldn't be a bad depth signing, and possibly a mentor for Miles Sanders.

The veteran running back remains a free agent after spending 2019 in Kansas City

LeSean McCoy just got done spending a season under his old Philadelphia Eagles coach, Andy Reid. Now, with his Kansas City Chiefs stint in the rear-view mirror, the veteran running back continues to campaign for a return to the Eagles themselves.

One of several big-name RBs still available in free agency, the 31-year-old McCoy has not been shy about his desire to potentially reunite with Philadelphia as his NFL career winds down, several times expressing his affinity for the Eagles and even hinting at a return in a social media exchange with DeSean Jackson, another Eagle who left and came back to town. This week, it was more of the same, with McCoy telling NFL Network's "Good Morning Football" that he "could see myself" back in Philly this season.

"Since I left, you haven't seen the (No.) 25 active in green, so you never know," McCoy said with a smile, per NFL.com. "I'm going to keep my 

options open, though. I could see myself there in Philly. Like I said, that's home, so you never know."

McCoy is aware that Miles Sanders, the Eagles' 2019 second-round draft pick, is entrenched as the team's lead ball-carrier moving forward. But after spending the latter portion of his lone Chiefs season as a mentor more than an on-field factor, the six-time Pro Bowler is apparently willing to accept a smaller role -- so long as it's for a winning team.

"Now, like, I've turned some teams down depending on the styles, who they have there, are we winning?" he said. "I went to the Super Bowl (with) Patrick Mahomes; now I can't just go to any team. I'm just waiting, I've been talking to teams and I'll make the right decision."

Whether or not McCoy actually reunites with the Eagles probably has more to do with the team's desires. Philly reportedly explored trades to reacquire McCoy in years past, but that was before the 23-year-old Sanders emerged as a surefire starter. There's also the question of how much McCoy even has left in the tank, particularly after Reid opted not to activate him for the Super Bowl. Still, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie has long been an advocate for McCoy, whose number -- like he noted -- has not been reissued since 2015, and multiple reports suggest the team is, in fact, exploring the veteran RB market for Sanders insurance.

Mentor? Haha no. McCoy has always been a great player, not so much a great person. 

• Like 3

According to Caplan there's some interest but he's certainly not top of their list. I think they'd be interested if other moves don't pan out for sure but he's also not what we need to really compliment Sanders.

No thanks.  There are better options out there than a guy that AR didn't even activate for the SB.  For Chrissakes if you taking the veteran leadership angle, that's some damning evidence against.  Stay in contact with him, tell him to stay in shape.  If we have a rash of injuries and need a stop gag, give him a ring.

No. I'd take him for a 1 day sign and retire. As mentioned above, great football player in the past. Not a good human off the field.

I hope hes back for a one day contract to retire, thats about it. Dont need another Sporles holding on an extra year only to go out and waste cap space. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I hope hes back for a one day contract to retire, thats about it. Dont need another Sporles holding on an extra year only to go out and waste cap space. 

See perhaps it's because I'm English but I don't understand that approach. Signing players for a day to let them retire with that franchise?

Happens a lot. I know its kinda of dumb but is what it is. Even happened for Dawkins. They want to so called retire on their team they had the best career in. 

10 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Happens a lot. I know its kinda of dumb but is what it is. Even happened for Dawkins. They want to so called retire on their team they had the best career in. 

Oh no i know it happens I just don't really get it. If a player moves on they move on, they can still be remembered and honoured by that team when they retire. 

IF we add a RB to the mix with Sanders and Scott it should be someone more like the guy we just lost (Jordan Howard) - a guy that can consistently get those tough yards.  McCoy is not that.  And the thought of McCoy serving as a "mentor" is laughable.