Will Anderson Jr. (Alabama EDGE) -- DRAFTED BY HOUSTON #3

The Blackfish

3 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

It’s very close  - I agree that it is harder to find a 3T later in this draft while there appears to be a handful of promising 3-4 OLB types (we also have a couple on the roster).  I imagine that they’ll extend Hargrave and not leave that role uncovered.

Yeah that’s my choice as well. Hargrave, CGJ, and White are the FA’s we should target. We’ll be priced out of Edwards and Bradberry

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Yeah that’s my choice as well. Hargrave, CGJ, and White are the FA’s we should target. We’ll be priced out of Edwards and Bradberry

I’m not sure how much we’ll have for groceries, but let’s say $40M. You could probably swing those 3, but we’d have to backfill for Epps (Ghost), TJ (Nakobe) Bradberry (?), Seumalo (Driscoll), plus rotational players like Fletch, BG… gonna be tight and a bunch of rookies/‘almost’ rookies will be playing.

image.png.cec491c3796d369489d77e1ffe59e4cb.png

18 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

I’m not sure how much we’ll have for groceries, but let’s say $40M. You could probably swing those 3, but we’d have to backfill for Epps (Ghost), TJ (Nakobe) Bradberry (?), Seumalo (Driscoll), plus rotational players like Fletch, BG… gonna be tight and a bunch of rookies/‘almost’ rookies will be playing.

image.png.cec491c3796d369489d77e1ffe59e4cb.png

Also remember Howie can backload those contracts to all hell and sign everybody he thinks we need. I was not opposed to the philosophy of what we did 2018-2020 (maybe just the players he chose to do it with, but hindsight is always 20/20). We had a window, and he tried to maximize it. Doing it again next year and the year after is the right move before Hurts’ contract starts hitting hard around 2025/2026

2 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Also remember Howie can backload those contracts to all hell and sign everybody he thinks we need. I was not opposed to the philosophy of what we did 2018-2020 (maybe just the players he chose to do it with, but hindsight is always 20/20). We had a window, and he tried to maximize it. Doing it again next year and the year after is the right move before Hurts’ contract starts hitting hard around 2025/2026

I kind of figured the $40M included a Mahomes type of extension for Hurts with the 2025 hit you described - in any case kicking the can for players like CGJ is fine as he has many good years ahead; Hargrave, Seumalo, Bradberry gets a bit risky as they could fall off the cliff and then we find ourselves in an Alshon hostage situation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Godfather said:

Eagles have a legit shot at Anderson with all this Carter hype

I’d be happy with either. They need some youth on the DL.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:46 PM, Road to Victory said:

I’d be happy with either. They need some youth on the DL.

They need a DE badly. Graham is old and a FA

4 hours ago, Godfather said:

They need a DE badly. Graham is old and a FA

Yeah, but DT isn’t any better. Cox is old. Suh, Joseph and Hargrave are all FA’s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

Yeah, but DT isn’t any better. Cox is old. Suh, Joseph and Hargrave are all FA’s. 

Yup. I'm okay with the top prospect on the board at either DE or DT because we need both. I can see Graham coming back if he wants to re-sign and doubtful that Cox is getting signed.

So we'll likely end up with Reddick, Sweat and Graham at DE/OLB and Hargrave, JD and Williams at DT. I'd argue that DT is a bigger need (unless if Graham retires) but I won't complain about either

On 12/6/2022 at 7:24 PM, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I don’t think they’ll be priced out of anyone. I think they’ll strategically let guys like Sanders, White and Seumalo go because they are replaceable. Some of the aging veterans might not be back. Maybe they sacrifice Edwards because they don’t value LB. But I think they can re-sign anyone they want. They can backload the contracts and give themselves a lot of room next year. You know, low salary first year, salary bonus gets spread out, future roster bonuses. Howie can figure it out. They can also renegotiate existing contracts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Unless they trade down, Anderson will be a Chicago Bear ... book it.  

On 1/3/2023 at 11:14 AM, Godfather said:

These hopes have died

I’m not opposed to packaging both first for one of the 2 premier Dlineman. Or maybe Saints first and Saints 2024 second if one falls out of the top 5. That would be a nice trade IMO

• 4 weeks later...

I highly doubt Howie stays at 10......he can parlay that pick into another 1st in 2024 and still have 2 1st rounders this year.

He's going to wheeling and dealing to pick up more picks since the eagles have 6 picks, but only 2 on day 3 (4th-7th round) which are 2 7th rounders.

Howie finds al ot of value in 4th and 5th round picks......hard to see him going thru the draft without any.

• 2 months later...