Eagles fire Casey Weidl and shake up scouting dept.

Procus

Looks like Andy Weidl is probably on his way out:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/04/report-eagles-fire-director-of-scouting-operations-casey-weidl/

Report: Eagles fire director of scouting operations Casey Weidl

Posted by Josh Alper on May 4, 2022, 12:34 PM EDT

Teams often make changes to their personnel departments after the draft comes to an end and the Eagles are one of the team’s doing so this year.

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the team has fired director of scouting operations Casey Weidl. Weidl is the brother of vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl and McLane reports his future is uncertain.

Andy Weidl interviewed with the Steelers for their General Manager position and the team is expected to hire someone now that Kevin Colbert is set to retire after running their draft.

Player personnel executive T.J. McCreight, southwest area scout Shawn Heinlen and scouting assistant Evan Pritt are also reportedly out for the Eagles.

The Eagles have also seen co-directors of player personnel Brandon Brown and Ian Cunningham become assistant General Managers with the Giants and Bears, respectively, this offseason. Vice president of football operations Catherine Raiche is expected to leave for a job with the Browns, so there are going to be a lot of changes to General Manager Howie Roseman’s staff ahead of next season.

• Like 1

I wonder when these things happen because Howie feels threatened.  But I also know there are a lot of HR related issues with scouts too. These are the guys who feel they can ask any offensive question to a prospect as if the general rules of employment don't apply to them.  Or of course it could all be performance related 🙂

• Like 1

I wouldn’t bat an eyelash if they simply chose to let people move on after a contract expires, but I am curious as to why anyone got fired. 

My guess is that Casey has a job because of his brother, and if Andy is out, then so is Casey.  Just a hunch though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procus said:

My guess is that Casey has a job because of his brother, and if Andy is out, then so is Casey.  Just a hunch though.

Yeah, sounds like they have some inside knowledge that Andy got the Steelers job. I’m sure Casey will hop on with the Steelers once the announcement is officially made.

• Like 1

So after what many fans consider their best couple of drafts in years, the Eagles fire their director of scouting?

Make this make sense for me, because it seems ridiculous at first glance 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

So after what many fans consider their best couple of drafts in years, the Eagles fire their director of scouting?

Was probably already out of the door. Better opportunities out there potentially.

13 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I hear you though as I keep saying our best drafts were essentially drafting 2 players from the National Championship team each year. And that's even accepting that this year's draft was good without seeing a down played by the picks

10 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I hear you though as I keep saying our best drafts were essentially drafting 2 players from the National Championship team each year. And that's even accepting that this year's draft was good without seeing a down played by the picks

Hopefully they learned from this. Keep drafting talent from championship teams AKA the SEC lol.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, judunno said:

Hopefully they learned from this. Keep drafting talent from championship teams AKA the SEC lol.

I mean you shouldn't need a 20 person scouting organization to tell you to draft the Butkus & Bednarik award winners, should you? lol

• Like 1

Just now, pgcd3 said:

I mean you shouldn't need a 20 person scouting organization to tell you to draft the Butkus & Bednarik award winners, should you? lol

Exactly... and imagine if they used the SEC to weight their picks.. We end up with Justin Jefferson instead of Reagor and instead Whiteside we end up with one of the many great SEC WRs taken in the 2nd round (ie with a little trade up AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, or staying pat with DK Metcalf). Seems pretty straight forward lol. No reason to over think it.

Spoiler

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It's all because that woman is taking a job in Cleveland.  Weidl threw a huge temper tantrum because the Eagles didn't do the PC thing and promote her to GM.  So they canned him.

If Andy gets the Steelers job do we get any picks or anything? Forgot how that works 

6 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

If Andy gets the Steelers job do we get any picks or anything? Forgot how that works 

No he's not a minority

2 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

No he's not a minority

Can’t he just identify as female as a parting gift?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Procus said:

Looks like Andy Weidl is probably on his way out:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/04/report-eagles-fire-director-of-scouting-operations-casey-weidl/

Report: Eagles fire director of scouting operations Casey Weidl

Posted by Josh Alper on May 4, 2022, 12:34 PM EDT

Teams often make changes to their personnel departments after the draft comes to an end and the Eagles are one of the team’s doing so this year.

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the team has fired director of scouting operations Casey Weidl. Weidl is the brother of vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl and McLane reports his future is uncertain.

Andy Weidl interviewed with the Steelers for their General Manager position and the team is expected to hire someone now that Kevin Colbert is set to retire after running their draft.

Player personnel executive T.J. McCreight, southwest area scout Shawn Heinlen and scouting assistant Evan Pritt are also reportedly out for the Eagles.

The Eagles have also seen co-directors of player personnel Brandon Brown and Ian Cunningham become assistant General Managers with the Giants and Bears, respectively, this offseason. Vice president of football operations Catherine Raiche is expected to leave for a job with the Browns, so there are going to be a lot of changes to General Manager Howie Roseman’s staff ahead of next season.

It's a truly NEW DaY! I GOT chills READING this.

The fact that the Jurgens pick was leaked to the media a week before the draft was very curious.

I wouldn’t be surprised if leaks in the FO were the reason they were let go.

• Like 2

Picking the Eagles scouting department as if they have been doing something right the past few years :roll:

36 minutes ago, mihailo said:

Picking the Eagles scouting department as if they have been doing something right the past few years :roll:

Yah, it's not like the Eagles won a Super Bowl or had a good draft the past couple of years. 

Oh wait . . .

5 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yep. Makes you wonder. 2 good drafts in a row and they clean house. 

Well, maybe we'll find out next year who's really responsible. If Howie goes back to drafting busts.

• Like 1

Why did they fire Casey Weidl? Because the other Weidl- Andy, is heading for Pittsboig and they are killing 2 Weidl's with one stone. Or something like that. 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Procus said:

Yah, it's not like the Eagles won a Super Bowl or had a good draft the past couple of years. 

Oh wait . . .

2017 was half a decade ago. If I remember correctly they changed the scouting department since then. Since then the Eagles have had mostly poor drafting and left the team with aged and depleted talent - they were the best team that year. It isn’t bottom of the barrel bad, but it has been mediocre considering they came of a SB win. Think of all the first round talent fails in recent memory, the talent that has propped the Eagles up has been FA, so if there is any credit due, it is for that. Time will tell how this draft pans out, it does look positive judging prematurely. 

Were they fired for cause or just let go? Seems like half the story.

I wonder what the official transaction was and the official word from the Eagles.

Did these folks do anything wrong? or is this just normal reshuffling of personnel / just business.

Is Casey going with his brother to Pittsburgh? is that all this is?

Was Casey recruiting half of the scouting department to leave for PIT? Dunno.

All the other folks getting hired by other teams is a high compliment to the Eagles organization and to these individuals.

If you hire a really good team, some of them will get opportunities elsewhere.

Is it a challenge to rebuild and add new talent? Yes. 

I am hopeful that Howie is using external consultants to help identify top candidates for the Eagles.

Recruiting scene from Men in Black "The Best of the Best of the Best..."

Spend some more money Howie. Inject some new talent. And give the people that are staying more money and responsibility.

If Pittsburgh takes Weidl (he was with PIT before), then we should get one of theirs. Fair is fair.

One or two of you smart guys on here should go work for the Eagles.

13 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

The fact that the Jurgens pick was leaked to the media a week before the draft was very curious.

I wouldn’t be surprised if leaks in the FO were the reason they were let go.

That was leaked and you're just now telling me? Man, this bit of info could have really helped me in the Master of the Draft thread this year. 

• Haha 2