Ray Didinger Announces Retirement from WIP and NBC Sports

iladelphxx

I'm happy for him to be able to retire on his own terms. On the other hand, it sucks to have him leaving pre/post game live. 

• Like 11

Will miss you Ray. Happy you got to see the Birds win the Lombardi.

Enjoy life.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Will miss you Ray. Happy you got to see the Birds win the Lombardi.

Enjoy life.

Not only did he see them win the Lombardi, he saw them beat Lombardi in 1960. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Love Ray. F***ing legend.

Fly on, brother :Eagle_smiley:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm happy for him to be able to retire on his own terms. On the other hand, it sucks to have him leaving pre/post game live. 

I always enjoyed and trusted his analysis. He wasn't just a "talking head" that got caught up in emotions and hot button issues. He mostly let the numbers and the facts speak for him and I always respected him for that. Not to mention his historical perspective will never be matched. I hope he finds time in retirement to share his perspective from time to time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

I always enjoyed and trusted his analysis. He wasn't just a "talking head" that got caught up in emotions and hot button issues. He mostly let the numbers and the facts speak for him and I always respected him for that. Not to mention his historical perspective will never be matched. I hope he finds time in retirement to share his perspective from time to time.

I had a brief email interaction with him a number of years ago. If I remember, he said something about Andy being arrogant, in an article and I didn't see it that way. So I emailed him to ask what he saw that said 'arrogance' to him. Much to my surprise, he answered my email and replied to a few back and forth. 

To me, that said a ton about his character, that he was willing to take a few minutes to email back and forth with some random fan. As I remember, when it was all said and done, I still didn't quite see 'arrogance' but it was just super cool of Ray to talk to me about it. 

I remember some workplace Saturday mornings in the 2000s decade going by easy while listening to Didinger on WIP.

Will be missed.

• Like 2

Damn!  Just not going to be the same turning into Eagles Post Game Live without Ray Didinger.  That has just always been a constant through the decades after Eagles games.  

Also going to suck to not have him on during the weekends on WIP.  Awful news.  

I haven't watched pre or post game live in a long time. Not because of Ray, because Barrett Brooks is awful. He can't articulate sentences well and I don't feel like he knows what he was talking about. With Ray being gone, those shows will be utterly unwatchable now. He was the only good one on there. Always thoughtful and insightful, even if I didn't disagree with his points, he always backed them up with logic.

Pre and post will basically now just be Seth Joyner yelling about "RUN THE BALL!" and Barrett Brooks fumbling and stumbling through attempted coherence. And Barkann pandering to the Philly fan audience with talk radio points.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Best lineup of that show was Barkann, Ray, the Gov & Hebron.  I especially liked the interactions between Ray and Hebron.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

... Barrett Brooks is awful.

The very first thing on NBCS Philly that I ever watched was Quick Slants, with him and D Gunn. He (Brooks), was bad. But over time I think he got a bit better. But rather than firing Gunn, I'd rather have had them get rid of Brooks. I did enjoy the interactions between the two of them during the Super Bowl run, though and still enjoy re-watching some of that stuff. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The very first thing on NBCS Philly that I ever watched was Quick Slants, with him and D Gunn. He (Brooks), was bad. But over time I think he got a bit better. But rather than firing Gunn, I'd rather have had them get rid of Brooks. I did enjoy the interactions between the two of them during the Super Bowl run, though and still enjoy re-watching some of that stuff. 

I think in general that network isn't long for this world and Sixers/Phils/Flyers games will go exclusively streaming within 2 years.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I had a brief email interaction with him a number of years ago. If I remember, he said something about Andy being arrogant, in an article and I didn't see it that way. So I emailed him to ask what he saw that said 'arrogance' to him. Much to my surprise, he answered my email and replied to a few back and forth. 

To me, that said a ton about his character, that he was willing to take a few minutes to email back and forth with some random fan. As I remember, when it was all said and done, I still didn't quite see 'arrogance' but it was just super cool of Ray to talk to me about it. 

I had a very similar experience years ago via email.  I don't remember what it was about but he was very nice and thoughtful. I hope he enjoys his retirement and glad he went out on his terms

13 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

I think in general that network isn't long for this world and Sixers/Phils/Flyers games will go exclusively streaming within 2 years.

I stopped watching analysis years ago. For me it just seems like a waste of time. If I watch or listen to something it's often just to revel in a victory a little longer not because I actually care what the media says

• Like 1

Ray's a legend. But, he could've used some advice with this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sack that QB said:

The only things I watched on it were their Eagles related shows, or shows that had a lot of Eagles coverage. Philly Sports Talk was one, Quick Slants and of course Pre and Postgame Live. Once the pandemic hit, they essentially did away with Quick Slants and Philly Sports Talk was shut down even earlier than that, if I recall. 

Without those things, I have no reason to watch the channel. 

I sat next to him one day on the Subway years  but I did not bother him, If I had known about the Christie Brinkley story I would have said you effing idiot you are :crazy:

Daily News Live used to be a good Comcast show for Eagles talk. 

• Like 3

One of the few voices of reason and logic in the media.  I've enjoyed his opinion and insight over the years and I hope he has a long, healthy and happy retirement.

• Like 5

Happy for him but bummed I will no longer be able to listen to him talk birds.  I always looked forward to hearing his analysis.  

• Like 4

damn, sucks for us, but great for him.

well, the only reason left to listen to WIP is calling it a career.  

Ray didi to Grand pop. Guy was awesome, i immediately tuned in to post game just for him. I hope he enjoys retirement. 

• Like 1