Paramount + Star Trek: Strange New Worlds & The Offer

Gannan

I had a free 30 day trial of Paramount, and I specifically did it just to see this. Probably the best show going right now. Well at least if you're a Godfather fan. I'm sure like "Winning Time" the characters are exaggerated caricatures of the real people, but the show is fascinating, fast paced and fun to watch. I didn't think a show about how a movie got mad could be as good as it is, but it's well worth the watch. 

Started Star Trek: Strange New Worlds last night. It's based on the Abram's reboot which I really liked. I've seen all of the Start Trek movies, but only some episodes of the tv shows. This one looks like a good one. The Picard show, not so much. 

The Offer has gotten better. I’m looking forward to the final couple of episodes.

17 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Started Star Trek: Strange New Worlds last night. It's based on the Abram's reboot which I really liked. I've seen all of the Start Trek movies, but only some episodes of the tv shows. This one looks like a good one. The Picard show, not so much. 

i really like discovery, which is where strange new worlds starts off from after discovery goes to the future. picard is pretty good, but stewart can barely move. he's so fragile at this point and it kinda slows the show up for me.

edit; although i did like how they closed out a couple of original TNG characters. 

three episodes into SNWs and i am in. this back to the original plot line. going to different worlds each week and exploring the galaxy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gannan said:

It's based on the Abram's reboot which I really liked. I've seen all of the Start Trek movies, but only some episodes of the tv shows.

I didn't. So I'll pass on the new show. I've seen all of the TOS and TNG movies, then the first new cast movie along with about 15 minutes of the second one and that was enough. But I've seen every episode of TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager. 

On 5/25/2022 at 1:12 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I didn't. So I'll pass on the new show. I've seen all of the TOS and TNG movies, then the first new cast movie along with about 15 minutes of the second one and that was enough. But I've seen every episode of TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager. 

this is actually a good show (haven't watched the last episode yet) and there's no need to watch the new movie series to follow it. 

edit;  looking into it a bit further, seems this show may not based on the reboots. 

(It should be noted that the version of Spock in Strange New Worlds, played by Ethan Peck, is different from the one played by Zachary Quinto in the Star Trek movies, which take place in an alternate timeline for reasons too complicated to go into here.)

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 1:12 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Discovery was a great idea ruined by writers that beat to death today's social agenda and then ran out of a way to continue in the timeline they were in so they jumped them out of it......

Yes I know the TOS was socially relevant in that time.....but those Discovery guys just killed us with it.

But watch the second season of Discovery....... ( you may need to watch their first season in order to get the other characters context ) Captain Pike is in this season only... as the temporary captain of Discovery which helps jump the new series.

I find the character Pike to be very well done......The actor is not a Shatner...not a Stewart......or really any of the other leads. He is his own character and leads well. The actor that plays spock also does a very good job.

I liked TOS , TNG, and DS9 could not watch Voyager..... but loved Enterprise 

Hopefully the writers don't eff up Strange New Worlds as this could really be a good one. 

27 minutes ago, Steve 17 said:

Discovery was a great idea ruined by writers that beat to death today's social agenda

That's why I've avoided everything after Enterprise. I watch shows and movies for entertainment, not indoctrination/social preaching. Everything has it's place and those topics are relevant and fine, I just want a place to escape all of that when I want to. Those places are pretty much non-existent now, though.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That's why I've avoided everything after Enterprise. I watch shows and movies for entertainment, not indoctrination/social preaching. Everything has it's place and those topics are relevant and fine, I just want a place to escape all of that when I want to. Those places are pretty much non-existent now, though.  

Agreed..... thus Discovery became almost forced watching after season 2. ....

Now SNW is only down 3 or 4 episodes....... but right now I am in the mindset of Pike for President..... not sure whether I see Spock or Number 1 for VP. 

It's early but if I see a turn I will advise you to steer clear. 

• 4 weeks later...

i enjoyed discovery, even with the flood of vurture signaling. picard was decent. i'd still smash 7 of 9. 

but i like strange new worlds more than any of those. its back to new the original plot. new place and scenario every week. exploring and getting into life threatening situations. all while getting a deeper look into the human drama side of it. 

• 3 weeks later...

@VaBeach_Eagle....... so I had a thought....... on Paramount..... next to these new Trek shows in the extras..... you can watch a mini show with Will Wheaton as the host that talks about the episodes.

Be warned Wheaton can be a bit to stomach at times,, but it may give you a better glimpse into the shows.

Strange New Worlds has blown me away with what they did in their first season. It's all I can say..... just very well done. The rest of the new stuff not so much...... and the cartoon stuff .... no thanks. But try SNW..... I  think you will like it. 

4 hours ago, Steve 17 said:

@VaBeach_Eagle....... so I had a thought....... on Paramount..... next to these new Trek shows in the extras..... you can watch a mini show with Will Wheaton as the host that talks about the episodes.

Be warned Wheaton can be a bit to stomach at times,, but it may give you a better glimpse into the shows.

Strange New Worlds has blown me away with what they did in their first season. It's all I can say..... just very well done. The rest of the new stuff not so much...... and the cartoon stuff .... no thanks. But try SNW..... I  think you will like it. 

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Will Wheaton. I thought that TNG got better once he was off the show. Same with Lt. Yar. Worf in that role made more sense. 

One of my brothers emailed me yesterday though and suggested that I watch the new show. 

Watched the first episode of this and Picard yesterday. Both held my interest, but SNWs really captures the feel of the old school Star Trek.

• 2 weeks later...