NFL Rumors: Pro Bowl RB ‘Worth a Call’ for Run-Heavy Eagles

time2rock

NFL Rumors: Pro Bowl RB ‘Worth a Call’ for Run-Heavy Eagles

• Updated May 28, 2022 at 12:04am
Kareem Hunt, Cleveland Browns

Getty: Kareem Hunt #27, of the Cleveland Browns, fails to make a reception after a hit from DeShon Elliott #32, of the Baltimore Ravens, in the game at FirstEnergy Stadium on December 14, 2020 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

The Philadelphia Eagles are feeling pretty good about their running backs room right now. Miles Sanders, Kenny Gainwell, and two-sport playmaker Boston Scott should be a pretty lethal triumvirate in the backfield.

Still, it has to be tempting for the NFL’s top-ranked rushing attack to add another weapon to the mix. Especially if that guy is a one-time Pro Bowler with 3,557 rushing yards and 44 total touchdowns to his name. The Cleveland Browns are loaded at the running back position, prompting Bleacher Report’s Alex Ballentine to propose a trade sending Kareem Hunt to Philly.

Terms were not disclosed but the emergence of D’Ernest Johnson, coupled with new quarterback Deshaun Watson, could have Cleveland looking for draft capital. Ballentine wrote:

Checking in with the Browns on a Kareem Hunt deal would be worth investigating. Hunt has been an ideal second running back for three years in Cleveland. He averaged 2.8 yards after contact last season. Only Rashaad Penny, Nick Chubb and Jonathan Taylor had a higher average.

The Browns enjoyed some breakout performances from D’Ernest Johnson last season, giving them three backs they can count on. However, with Deshaun Watson in the fold, they may not be as run-heavy as they once were.

It’s worth a call to see how much they value Hunt.

g1.thumb.JPG.6df688b8a252f1b02df9cf2f0c5a0d14.JPG

Gainwell Keeps Turning Heads, Earning More Snaps

The Eagles really don’t have a need for another running back. Miles Sanders is entrenched as RB1 and – depending on how the first 10 weeks play out – could be handed a lucrative long-term contract extension to keep that role.

Meanwhile, the coaching staff remains high on Kenneth Gainwell, a fifth-round pick out of Memphis from the 2021 draft. He rushed for 291 yards on 68 carries during his rookie year along with taking in six total touchdowns.

"I just think that’s the type of high character guys that reach their ceiling, I really truly believe that,” head coach Nick Sirianni said on December 31. "I think you guys have heard me say that before: Guys that love football, that are tough and have high character, they’re going to reach their ceiling as football players.

"Now, there are other things that contribute to potentially not reaching your ceiling, but those are the guys, in my past, that have reached their ceiling as football players, and I have no doubt that Kenny Gainwell will be able to that here as an Eagle.”

Eagles Heading to Australia, Ghana, New Zealand

The Eagles will become the first NFL franchise to market themselves in Africa. The team will host a developmental camp and fan event in Ghana in June, according to a press release. Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said he was "extremely proud” to be the first NFL franchise to launch marketing, fan engagement, and commercialization efforts in Africa.

"We are continuously looking for opportunities to connect with new fans while expanding the reach of our brand domestically and abroad,” Lurie said. "With the NFL identifying Australia, New Zealand, and Ghana as emerging markets for our league, we see a tremendous opportunity for our team to continue to touch and create ‘Eagles Everywhere.'”

The move is a big one when considering the global impact of the NFL. Remember, the Eagles have three Australian players on the roster: Jordan Mailata, Arryn Siposs, Matt Leo.

g2.thumb.JPG.8e12b3e7ca4732309891a04ee1ffc96c.JPG

https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/kareem-hunt-browns-trade/

• Haha 1

Hunt is a no-brainer.  Doubt the Browns will trade him because he is so good.  Much better than Miles and would be a bonafide rockstar behind our line.  Just has to stay healthy because he gets hurt sometimes.  Extremely good at catching the ball out of the backfield.  Had him on my fantasy team this year and he was great even behind Chubb.  A starter for sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, downundermike said:

You don’t trade for and pay AJ Brown to then trade for another RB and stay a run heavy offense.

100%! That would be madness. I mean I'm a big fan of Hunt in terms of his ability and what he can do. On paper he would be a great addition to an already exciting offense but no thanks. We need to pass a lot more than last year. If Hurts can't handle that then Minshew should come in.

I don' think Hunt is in the cards, BUT a big running back needs to still be on the agenda. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I don' think Hunt is in the cards, BUT a big running back needs to still be on the agenda. 

I would agree with this. A short yards and goal line RB is definitely missing. 

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I would agree with this. A short yards and goal line RB is definitely missing. 

Isn't that Hurts?

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2022 at 8:51 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

100%! That would be madness. I mean I'm a big fan of Hunt in terms of his ability and what he can do. On paper he would be a great addition to an already exciting offense but no thanks. We need to pass a lot more than last year. If Hurts can't handle that then Minshew should come in.

If it means we keep adding playmakers I‘m here for the madness.

Sanders simply can't stay healthy. We definitely need a bruiser back there. I think Hunts price tag might be too steep.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 7:37 PM, Portyansky said:

Sanders simply can't stay healthy. We definitely need a bruiser back there. I think Hunts price tag might be too steep.

I think the eagles might be prudent in waiting until the preseason cuts start happening to sign another RB.......

• Like 1

Articles about "proposed trades".  Gotta love the off season.

On 5/28/2022 at 2:24 PM, Miami said:

Hunt is a no-brainer.  Doubt the Browns will trade him because he is so good.  Much better than Miles and would be a bonafide rockstar behind our line.  Just has to stay healthy because he gets hurt sometimes.  Extremely good at catching the ball out of the backfield.  Had him on my fantasy team this year and he was great even behind Chubb.  A starter for sure.

Hunt put up Boston Scott numbers. 

On 5/28/2022 at 10:46 AM, downundermike said:

You don’t trade for and pay AJ Brown to then trade for another RB and stay a run heavy offense.

Run heavy O seemed to work for the Titans for quite a while.  I would think having a strong RB - preferably a power back - is something this offense needs.  The current troika is good, but could be upgraded.

On 6/2/2022 at 11:31 PM, schuy7 said:

Would love that. Hunt is a beast.

Especially if you’re a female. F that guy.