What would Julian Lurie taking over mean for the Eagles?

time2rock

What would Julian Lurie taking over mean for the Eagles?

I get that Julian Lurie is an easy target. I get that he was born into tremendous wealth. I get that it can be tough to relate to someone whose dad is worth $3 ½ billion.

But make no mistake about it. Jeff Lurie grooming his son to take over the family business is terrific news for any true Eagles fan.

Julian has spent the last two years informally studying every aspect of the franchise’s business and football operations in preparation for quite possibly taking over one day for his dad, who turns 71 in September.

Now Julian is officially a team employee, putting in the work every day, learning the business of running an NFL franchise, and that’s commendable.

It would be one thing if Julian were out partying in South Beach, tweeting out selfies from daddy’s yacht and acting like some kind of spoiled rich kid spending the family fortune and waiting to be handed the keys to the kingdom.

But nothing seems further from the case.

I’ve never met Julian Lurie, and everything I know about him is what I’ve observed. And instead of making quick judgments based on the family’s wealth, it’s important to base our opinions on what we see. And by all accounts, Julian is devoting his time to being as prepared as possible for the likelihood that one day in the not-too-distant future the franchise will be his.

Keeping the Eagles in the Lurie family for another generation would be an enormous positive for the franchise’s long-term health.

Whatever you think of Lurie personally, he’s one of the most successful owners in Philadelphia sports history and has overseen an era of tremendous success for the franchise.

Obviously there are more playoff rounds than there used to be, but still: This is a franchise that had won three playoff games in the 35 years before Lurie bought it from Norman Braman in 1994 and has won 15 since. Including a Super Bowl.

Only four teams have won more playoff games than the Eagles since Lurie took over — the Patriots, Packers, Steelers and Ravens — and all also have stable ownership.

How can it possibly be a bad thing that his likely successor is learning how to carry on that tradition?

Would you prefer Lurie one day sells to some huge corporation that doesn’t have Eagles fans’ best interest at heart? Would you prefer he sells to some out-of-town billionaire who only looks at the team as an investment? Would you prefer the team lands in the hands of someone who doesn’t share Lurie’s devotion to the Eagles and the city?

Julian Lurie grew up in Philly, and the Eagles have been the biggest thing in his life since the day he was born.

He understands the unique relationship between the franchise and the city because he grew up living it every day.

And now he’s formally part of the organization putting in the work to give himself the best chance possible at succeeding if he does indeed one day become majority owner of the team.

We’ve all seen owners in this city who are only out to make money. Who aren’t deeply committed to the franchise they’re running. Who don’t even live here and don’t care about the fans.

Maybe Julian Lurie will be a disaster as an owner. There’s really no way to know for sure. But it does seem that he’s a serious-minded guy who’s taking every imaginable step to be ready when the opportunity comes.

If you don’t like it, spend a moment considering the alternative.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/what-would-julian-lurie-taking-over-franchise-mean-eagles

Obviously, this is the dead zone regarding real news and real issues regarding the Eagles. 

BTW - it looks like Rube is trying to get on the young man's good side. 

I mean if he puts in the work to learn about running a franchise, it’s good news. Some may be down on Lurie for one reason or another, but he’s still one of the best owners in the league. I’d rather he groom his son, who hopefully is a lot like him, to take over when he’s done than to sell to the highest bidder. We could have another Dan Snyder buy the franchise if that were to happen. 

• Like 2

Jeff Lurie has done a great job as owner of this franchise so if he can teach Julian the ways and get him to work his way up then I don't see that being a bad thing. It's better to hand it down to someone who's been taught the ways than someone to buy the franchise surely?

Dear Julian,

Lesson #1: don't get involved in the day-to-day operations of the franchise (giving input on who to draft, how to run the offense, etc.) ... trust the people that work for you to do that.  

Sincerely,

Everyone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Dear Julian,

Lesson #1: don't get involved in the day-to-day operations of the franchise (giving input on who to draft, how to run the offense, etc.) ... trust the people that work for you to do that.  

Sincerely,

Everyone

Unless of course he has an eye for it like his dad... 😉

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Unless of course he has an eye for it like his dad... 😉

:blink:

I love it, the guy eat ,sleep and living in best football town in USA.Can't get better then that.

Mixed results with generational succession.  Clark Hunt's been a great owner in KC.  Virginia McKaskey ran the Bears into the ground.  All other things being equal, seems like Julian's being brought along the right way.  Time will tell if some day he owns the Eagles, and if so, whether or not he'll be a good owner.

I always wonder, with someone that rich, if Jeff passes and the estate/team goes to his son, doesn't he need to pay estate taxes?  I mean jesus, my mom has about 5 million in assets to split between my sister and I and I am worried about the federal government wanting their part when that time comes (hopefully no time too soon).....but when you have billions, and if the team is the greatest asset as part of the billions....and the government says hey, you owe us 1 billion......does the son have to sell off part of the team to pay it?  And PS, I think it's f'ing ridiculous.....how many times and ways can one get taxed?  My parents had their incomes taxed while buying those properties, they had property taxes while holding those properties, and then the government can tax as an estate tax when they pass.  It's just ridiculous........

15 hours ago, time2rock said:

:blink:

I was playing bud. Because of the comment Jeff made about the 3 players he'd liked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I was playing bud. Because of the comment Jeff made about the 3 players he'd liked.

I don’t see anywhere in that piece that references 3 players that Jeff liked.  Or are you citing from a different source?

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don’t see anywhere in that piece that references 3 players that Jeff liked.  Or are you citing from a different source?

I'm citing from comments Lurie made earlier in the off season bud. He highly rated Wilson, Johnson and Mailata I think it was? Seems his strike rate is exceptional. 

I approve.

And I pretty much agree with the entire article. Which I normally do not do with this writer.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm citing from comments Lurie made earlier in the off season bud. He highly rated Wilson, Johnson and Mailata I think it was? Seems his strike rate is exceptional. 

It’s also rumored we drafted JJAW because he really wanted him.  When did he supposedly rate Wilson, Johnson, and Mailata?  I’d love to see reports documenting him rating them highly before they were drafted.  Anyone can say after the fact, "yeah man I knew Tom Brady (or whoever) was going to be an excellent QB (player) one day”.  :lol:

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

It’s also rumored we drafted JJAW because he really wanted him.  When did he supposedly rate Wilson, Johnson, and Mailata?  I’d love to see reports documenting him rating them highly before they were drafted.  Anyone can say after the fact, "yeah man I knew Tom Brady (or whoever) was going to be an excellent QB (player) one day”.  :lol:

He said it during a press conference this off season. It was a big deal before the draft. He distanced himself from the JJAW stuff but said he picked those 3 players. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-jeff-lurie-meddling-claims-and-his-son-julians-future

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

… he picked those 3 players. 

Sure he did.  👌🏼

• Like 1