'Got to get him going:' How Eagles are approaching Reagor

time2rock

'Got to get him going:' How Eagles are approaching Reagor

They haven’t given up on Jalen Reagor. Why would they?

Whether or not the Eagles can salvage anything out of their 2020 1st-round pick remains to be seen, but simply because of his salary cap situation it makes sense for them to continue trying to turn him into a productive NFL player.

Reagor will cost the Eagles more in cap space if they cut him ($6.03 million in dead cap in 2022, $1.8 million in 2023) than if they keep him ($3.02 million in 2022, $3.6 million in 2023).

So there's nothing to lose.

Is it a longshot? Probably. But every NFL player develops at his own pace, and it looks like getting something out of Reagor this year is one of the Eagles’ projects this summer.

"He’s just been working consistently hard, man,” said Darius Slay, who’s always been a big supporter of Reagor. "Right now, he’s just been grinding.

"We brought A.J. (Brown) in, so A.J.’s teaching him a little bit, too,. So he’s understanding the game more.

"He’s still young. I think Reagor’s only 23 years old and in his third year going into the league and (23) was my second year in the league, so he’s still learning. 

"He’s works hard, and we’ve got to get him going. That’s it. We’ve got to all be behind him.”

Slay is right, and Reagor doesn’t turn 24 until January. Through two years in the league, he has 64 catches for 695 yards and three touchdowns.

He’s among only four WRs in the last 40 years to start at least 10 games in each of his first two seasons and finish both with fewer than 400 yards. The others are Miles Boykin, Nelson Agholor and Darrius Heyward-Bey.

But the Eagles will keep trying.

"He's explosive,” offensive coordinator Shane Steichen said Friday. "That's one of his biggest assets. He's an explosive player. He still has that ability to run routes and be fast and strong and physical, and again, we're just continuing to improve on those things every single day.”

Agholor is the closest precedent if you’re looking for hope.

Nelly’s numbers his first two years were almost identical to Reagor’s – five fewer catches, 47 fewer yards, same number of touchdowns.

But he became a functional player over the next two years with 126 catches, just over 1,500 yards, 12 TDs and a brilliant Super Bowl. Then he had nearly 900 yards and eight TDs for the Raiders in 2020.

So it is possible. Stranger things have happened.

At best Reagor would be the Eagles' 5th WR behind Brown, DeVonta Smith, Quez Watkins and Zach Pascal. And there's also steady Greg Ward in the mix and other projects such as Devon Allen, John Hightower and Britain Covey.

Reagor, the 21st player drafted in 2020, is one of two wide receivers the Eagles drafted in the early rounds in the years after the Super Bowl who's trying to jumpstart his career this summer.

J.J. Arcega Whiteside, a 2nd-round pick in 2019, has just 16 catches for 290 yards and one TD in three seasons. He caught just two passes last year.

He’s the only wide receiver drafted in the first or second round in the last 30 years to play at least 40 games and catch fewer than 20 passes in his first three seasons.

JJAW has converted to tight end this summer and faces even longer odds than Reagor.

"Those are two great men, two great guys and great players,” Jalen Hurts said. "They come in here with the mentality of going to work every day.

"They’re asking questions, they’re eager to learn, eager to do things right, execute their assignments and their job. I’m excited to see what they do for us this year.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/jalen-reagor-eagles-approach-2022-nfl-season

Nothing to lose? Is Roob kidding? He hurts the team by being on the field. They don't need to try and get him going... Unless get him going means out of town. 

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Nothing to lose? Is Roob kidding? He hurts the team by being on the field. They don't need to try and get him going... Unless get him going means out of town. 

Honestly, this is a perfect opportunity for Reagor to get his career on track. Time is running out. But barring injury, he isn't needed to start. So the pressure is minimal. No matter what he does or doesn't do, he's unlikely to be a part of this team's future. If he can fix his mental state and find a way to contribute when given opportunities, we might be able to get something in a trade. But if he doesn't play significantly better than last year, there won't be anybody answering Howie's calls. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Honestly, this is a perfect opportunity for Reagor to get his career on track. Time is running out. But barring injury, he isn't needed to start. So the pressure is minimal. No matter what he does or doesn't do, he's unlikely to be a part of this team's future. If he can fix his mental state and find a way to contribute when given opportunities, we might be able to get something in a trade. But if he doesn't play significantly better than last year, there won't be anybody answering Howie's calls. 

I'm not sure how that fits in with "get him going" though? That feels like they want to really involve him and get him the ball. Give him opportunities to make plays. 

Its interesting how Hurts is young and needs more time and never had the same coaches year after year, yet the same concepts apply to Reagor (plus was part of two horribly QBed years that we all agree on).  Funny how the standards are applied around here.  Personally, I hope he turns the corner and makes an impact.

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Its interesting how Hurts is young and needs more time and never had the same coaches year after year, yet the same concepts apply to Reagor (plus was part of two horribly QBed years that we all agree on).  Funny how the standards are applied around here.  Personally, I hope he turns the corner and makes an impact.

I hope he does too and think he can. I strongly believe he has all the tools to be a star in this league. But I also believe he has been in his own head. Reagor has had the same WR coach the whole time, BTW. Perhaps another WR coach can get better results than Moorehead has with him. 

Silver bells.....SILVER BELLS...

Soon it will be Christmas Day.

On 6/8/2022 at 7:32 AM, brkmsn said:

I hope he does too and think he can. I strongly believe he has all the tools to be a star in this league. But I also believe he has been in his own head. Reagor has had the same WR coach the whole time, BTW. Perhaps another WR coach can get better results than Moorehead has with him. 

"Star” might be a stretch.  I can see him possibly following in Agholor’s footsteps … a couple majorly disappointing seasons (mostly because he was mentally taxed) and then when some pressure was removed it allowed him to play better.  He’s had a few nice seasons since then (1 here, 1 with the Raiders, 1 in NE) but never became a star.

On 6/8/2022 at 5:09 AM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Hurts is a good player with potential who made improvements.  He stepped into a situation with an established starting QB and took over for a losing team headed for a 4 win season in a bad situation where the coach ended up being fired.  His 2nd year he was the full-time starter and made improvements.

Reagor stepped into a situation where the Eagles had crap at WR and they were desperate.  A 1st round pick WR with hot garbage at the position should be able to step in and make more impact.  He was outperformed by practice squad guys and a 5th round pick.  He's gotten worse and Watkins jumped him on the depth chart.  Reagor has already proven he's crap.  The team has not only recognized this by saying Watkins is the #2 over Reagor at the end of the season, they went and traded for a proven WR in AJ Brown and signed Pascal who Siri liked from coaching him previously.  Reagor was even bad on special teams.  He's terrible. The team has clearly made changes to the WR room, they've now invested a 1st round pick 3  years in a row on the position because Reagor sucks.

On 6/7/2022 at 11:40 PM, brkmsn said:

On 6/8/2022 at 6:32 AM, brkmsn said:

Reagor and Smith were both 1st round picks, both with the same WR coach and Smith proved as a rookie he's ready and can produce.  Reagor has proven he's got worse over time and can't even function on special teams.  

There won't be many touches for Reagor anyway.  The top receiving options on the Eagles will be AJ Brown, Smith, Goedert, Watkins and Pascal.   Unless there's an injury, no one else is getting enough touches to prove anything.  If given rare opportunities, getting a catch here and there won't change anything.  They've seen what they needed to see.  Unless he absolutely lights it up and stands out in practice and warrants more targets...but that's pretty unlikely.  We know AJ Brown will be the top receiver, and Smith is primed to be #2 and make a leap in his 2nd year.  Siri brought in Pascal who he coached before, because he knew how bad the WR group is.  And they like Watkins.  It's over for Reagor.  His best chance is to be cut or traded for maybe - maybe - a 7th round pick and get a chance with another team.

8 hours ago, LacesOut said:

He is the 4th or 5th WR on this team. That ain't no 'star'. Jesus. 

I think he should be 5th at best. Pascal and Watkins are absolutely ahead of him. 

17 hours ago, LacesOut said:

He is the 4th or 5th WR on this team. That ain't no 'star'. Jesus. 

... and nobody said he was. 

He will be on the roster for 2022. He shouldn't dress for a single game on a Sunday. It was a failed pick. Learn from it. Move on.