ROSTER OUTLOOK: PROJECTED CONTRACT FOR MILES SANDERS REVEALED

time2rock

June 7, 2022

Miles Sanders

After switching up their playbook midseason, Nick Sirianni and the Eagles became the league’s most effective team on the ground.

With dual-threat QB Jalen Hurts leading the charge, Philadelphia finished the year first in total rushing yards and rushing yards per game. Even after adding star WR AJ Brown, Philly should continue to be dominant on the ground in 2022 behind the best offensive line in football.

The Eagles lead-back, Miles Sanders, is entering the final year of his rookie deal with extra motivation, having sustained several injuries over the last two seasons.

So for the Eagles, the question becomes what is Miles Sanders worth? Spotrac recently calculated Sanders’ market value based on age, statistical production, and comparable players.

Market Value

• 3 yrs, $12,766,680
  • Avg. Salary: $4,255,560
  • NFL Rank: 423
  • RB Rank: 19
  Rush yards/game Length Value Avg. Salary Age when signed
Chris Carson 70.7 2 $10.4M $5.2M 26
James Connor 51.5 1 $1.75M $1.75M 25
Kenyan Drake 61.1 2 $11M $5.5M 27
Phillip Lindsay 56.0 1 $3.25M $3.25M 26
Miles Sanders 68.5 3 $12.75M $4.25M 25

At a glance, that contract seems like a bargain. Sanders is consistently among the league leaders in yards/carry and is a home-run threat in the open field.

Factor in his durability concerns, however, and the fact that he didn’t find the endzone once last year — I can understand why his value is lower than expected.

The new-look Eagles are poised to have an explosive offense next season. If Sanders stays healthy, he could be in line for a long-term extension in Philadelphia.

w1.JPG.faa6ecf38882fe436c9fe98f4ab7dad6.JPG

https://thelibertyline.com/2022/06/07/projected-contract-miles-sanders/

I don't think he'll be back. 

If he has a good year someone will outbid us for him. 

If he has a bad year or gets injured again we won't want him. 

• Like 1

When was the last time we gave a contract to a RB1 coming off his rookie contract? 

44 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

When was the last time we gave a contract to a RB1 coming off his rookie contract? 

I guess the only RB of note would be McCoy.  But before Sanders, who have the Eagles drafted at RB who has been reliably good?

45 minutes ago, Procus said:

I guess the only RB of note would be McCoy.  But before Sanders, who have the Eagles drafted at RB who has been reliably good?

Forgot about Mccoy due to the trade. If Sanders can't prove he can stay healthy, doubt anything will happen. Honestly I thought Howie was gonna deal him last year at the trade deadline, but Sanders was hurt. 

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Forgot about Mccoy due to the trade. If Sanders can't prove he can stay healthy, doubt anything will happen. Honestly I thought Howie was gonna deal him last year at the trade deadline, but Sanders was hurt. 

I don't think the team brings back Sanders unless its on their terms.

For a good contract they may bring him back but I suspect he's going to want too much money. And ultimately they shouldn't give him a very good deal I don't think. 

RB is the most replaceable position in football. I expect he'll be gone.

On 6/8/2022 at 6:21 PM, Portyansky said:

Brian Westbrook, Duce Staley before that.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, time2rock said:

June 7, 2022

After switching up their playbook midseason, Nick Sirianni and the Eagles became the league’s most effective team on the ground.

With dual-threat QB Jalen Hurts leading the charge, Philadelphia finished the year first in total rushing yards and rushing yards per game. Even after adding star WR AJ Brown, Philly should continue to be dominant on the ground in 2022 behind the best offensive line in football.

The Eagles lead-back, Miles Sanders, is entering the final year of his rookie deal with extra motivation, having sustained several injuries over the last two seasons.

So for the Eagles, the question becomes what is Miles Sanders worth? Spotrac recently calculated Sanders’ market value based on age, statistical production, and comparable players.

Market Value

• 3 yrs, $12,766,680
  • Avg. Salary: $4,255,560
  • NFL Rank: 423
  • RB Rank: 19
  Rush yards/game Length Value Avg. Salary Age when signed
Chris Carson 70.7 2 $10.4M $5.2M 26
James Connor 51.5 1 $1.75M $1.75M 25
Kenyan Drake 61.1 2 $11M $5.5M 27
Phillip Lindsay 56.0 1 $3.25M $3.25M 26
Miles Sanders 68.5 3 $12.75M $4.25M 25

At a glance, that contract seems like a bargain. Sanders is consistently among the league leaders in yards/carry and is a home-run threat in the open field.

Factor in his durability concerns, however, and the fact that he didn’t find the endzone once last year — I can understand why his value is lower than expected.

The new-look Eagles are poised to have an explosive offense next season. If Sanders stays healthy, he could be in line for a long-term extension in Philadelphia.

w1.JPG.faa6ecf38882fe436c9fe98f4ab7dad6.JPG

https://thelibertyline.com/2022/06/07/projected-contract-miles-sanders/

'If Sanders can stay healthy he could be in line for a big pay day'  

'If the Sun can stop rising in the East we could reverse time probably'

I don't see Sanders attracting a huge offer, his first year he had receiving yards to cover for the fact he isn't a 1000 yard runner, the last 2 years he hasn't even gone for 200 receiving. A dual threat receiving back like Alvin Kamara can absolutely command a big contract, but a guy who can't straight run for a 1000 yards a year or run and catch for 1100 plus isn't going to get much more than the numbers talked about in the article.

37 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

'If Sanders can stay healthy he could be in line for a big pay day'  

'If the Sun can stop rising in the East we could reverse time probably'

I don't see Sanders attracting a huge offer, his first year he had receiving yards to cover for the fact he isn't a 1000 yard runner, the last 2 years he hasn't even gone for 200 receiving. A dual threat receiving back like Alvin Kamara can absolutely command a big contract, but a guy who can't straight run for a 1000 yards a year or run and catch for 1100 plus isn't going to get much more than the numbers talked about in the article.

I don't see him getting a big contract either ... at least not here.  I think there is a decent chance Gainwell will show enough to let him walk.  Guessing we'll allow him to enter free agency next offseason and he'll sign elsewhere (Jacksonville?) - perhaps that leads to a comp pick in 2024.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I don't see him getting a big contract either ... at least not here.  I think there is a decent chance Gainwell will show enough to let him walk.  Guessing we'll allow him to enter free agency next offseason and he'll sign elsewhere (Jacksonville?) - perhaps that leads to a comp pick in 2024.  

Any interest from Jacksonville would be dependent on Etienne not being up to the pro's AND Robinson not coming back from his injury. if either of them manage to get back to their best I just don't see a slot for Sanders as a senior back.

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Any interest from Jacksonville would be dependent on Etienne not being up to the pro's AND Robinson not coming back from his injury. if either of them manage to get back to their best I just don't see a slot for Sanders as a senior back.

Completely forgot they drafted Etienne (it was more just connecting him to Doug).  Either way, I still think the odds favor letting him walk in free agency rather than sign him to a decent contract.  

On 6/13/2022 at 7:32 AM, brkmsn said:

Brian Westbrook, Duce Staley before that.

McCoy, Westbrook, Staley....that was a pretty good run.  Not sure why people are questioning the Eagles' willingness to offer contracts to WR1s....

7 hours ago, Vee said:

McCoy, Westbrook, Staley....that was a pretty good run.  Not sure why people are questioning the Eagles' willingness to offer contracts to WR1s....

All 3 of those guys had established themselves as receiving threats. It looked like Sanders would follow the pattern as a rookie, but then he followed that up with a season where he lead all NFL RBs in drops. If he puts together a nice season where he proves he is an all-purpose back, I can see the Eagles trying to get a contract done. If not, they'll keep looking for their next Westbrook / McCoy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, brkmsn said:

All 3 of those guys had established themselves as receiving threats. It looked like Sanders would follow the pattern as a rookie, but then he followed that up with a season where he lead all NFL RBs in drops. If he puts together a nice season where he proves he is an all-purpose back, I can see the Eagles trying to get a contract done. If not, they'll keep looking for their next Westbrook / McCoy.

Problem is if Sanders has a good year where he can be that all purpose back then he's going to want a good contract right? And I'm not sure a RB is worth that. Of course I'll caveat that with it'll depend on the contract.