UCLA and USC to join Big 10

Dave Moss

It’s utterly ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

It’s utterly ridiculous. 

It's over.  It will all just be something for the history books 20 years from now.  Money ruined it.

I do get it but no matter.

UCLA/Rutgers will be a fierce natural rivalry.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

It's over. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So will Bill Walton be slobbering over the Big 10 as the conference of champions during national broadcasts now?

• Like 1

I dont understand why those 2 teams want to fly all the way east for every one of their away games. 

But, I like it.

Im not a huge college football guy. I dont have a lot of saturdays off. I watch draft prospects, and dont really root for a team. I feel like a bit of a penn state fan, just because just about my whole family is. Went to many games as a kid because my grandfather, aunt, and uncle were season ticket holders for many years. Its ingrained in to me a bit. However, I dont follow them. I dont really care when they lose games. I think theyre boring. I sort of find it amusing when they crumble in the 2nd half of every season after a solid start has the locals thinking they have a legit team. Im as much hater as I am fan.

However, the time of my life where I watched the most college football was my college years where I had nothing else to do in a tiny dorm room but watch sports and play madden. And during that time, USC was incredible. It was the Reggie Bush era. 

I also think those southern california teams are going to do great with the NIL rules. They should finally provide legitimate competition for Ohio State in the conference. 

Big 10 football, imo just got a lot better.

3 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

It's over.  It will all just be something for the history books 20 years from now.  Money ruined it.

I do get it but no matter.

Yeah, somewhere along the line it became just about money. This is why it’s hard for me to take the college football coaches seriously who say paying the players is going to ruin college sports. The players just wanted a piece of the pie while everyone else is already making money hand over fist.

This came down to fox pulling usc and ucla with the money and tv. Pac 12 for years has been behind 3 of the bigger conferences because Larry Scott did an awful job changing up the revenue sharing for usc and ucla. They were annoyed that Oregon state and Wazzu were making likewise money with how it was set up. This deal they easily make more money for their programs and more east coast and Midwest exposure. Add on the tv deal for Pac 12 was atrocious by Scott.

That said I’ve heard Arizona, asu, colorado and utah might jump to the big 12 (possibly Stanford and cal— Stanford might get acc or even big 10 could get a pitch due to academic money and prestige being brought In or could go independent but is very unlikely). But Pac 12 trying to say they are keeping it together but big chance asu, Arizona, Colorado, utah Stanford and cal are very likely jumping once Oregon and Washington jump which feels like only a matter of time. Oregon, once big 10 gets it’s answer from Notre dame that Oregon and Washington is next to get an invite it’s only a matter of time. they want to get a couple more teams out west for ucla and usc travel purposes. And gets the seattle market and Nike with Oregon. Likely Oregon and Washington will jump if offered as most in Az athletic department think the Pac is dead once Oregon and Washington jump 

if Arizona joins the big 12, then in basketball that conference is absolutely stacked. You’d have Kansas, baylor, Arizona, houston (who’s coming to big 12). Add on still have cincy (coming), byu, Colorado, okie state, tcu, Texas tech and West Virginia. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

This came down to fox pulling usc and ucla with the money and tv. Pac 12 for years has been behind 3 of the bigger conferences because Larry Scott did an awful job changing up the revenue sharing for usc and ucla. They were annoyed that Oregon state and Wazzu were making likewise money with how it was set up. This deal they easily make more money for their programs and more east coast and Midwest exposure. Add on the tv deal for Pac 12 was atrocious by Scott.

That said I’ve heard Arizona, asu, colorado and utah might jump to the big 12 (possibly Stanford and cal— Stanford might get acc or even big 10 could get a pitch due to academic money and prestige being brought In or could go independent but is very unlikely). But Pac 12 trying to say they are keeping it together but big chance asu, Arizona, Colorado, utah Stanford and cal are very likely jumping once Oregon and Washington jump which feels like only a matter of time. Oregon, once big 10 gets it’s answer from Notre dame that Oregon and Washington is next to get an invite it’s only a matter of time. they want to get a couple more teams out west for ucla and usc travel purposes. And gets the seattle market and Nike with Oregon. Likely Oregon and Washington will jump if offered as most in Az athletic department think the Pac is dead once Oregon and Washington jump 

if Arizona joins the big 12, then in basketball that conference is absolutely stacked. You’d have Kansas, baylor, Arizona, houston (who’s coming to big 12). Add on still have cincy (coming), byu, Colorado, okie state, tcu, Texas tech and West Virginia. 

It probably already is but it would be hands down the most dominant college BB conference if Zona was added. I’d love to see it.

In general, AZ, AZ St., Utah and Colorado feel like good fits in the B12.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

It probably already is but it would be hands down the most dominant college BB conference if Zona was added. I’d love to see it.

In general, AZ, AZ St., Utah and Colorado feel like good fits in the B12.

Was told really small chance but ACC is in play for some pac 12 teams if ACC makes a ACC west. But one issue is i think Clemson, UNC and Miami are eventually jumping shipping when the contract allows them too. I think Big 12 makes a lot more sense.

i think the curious team is Stanford. Cause academically they are phenomenal and they get a lot of money with academic/research and such. also you’d get the Northern California market with them and cal. Not that it’s true but just feels cal couldnt careless about athletics in all this. I could see the big 10 or big 12 taking Stanford and cal just due to the academic prestige to help bolster that. There’s also a belief from wilner that Stanford and cal might just dismantle their athletics department. I think that’s extreme even if they aren’t top tier in terms of money. I just don’t see them doing that. Also a story out that Phil knight might try to save the pac 12 by poaching other leagues and leading the way. I think more likely teams bolt to other conferences knowing Oregon and Washington might defect to big 10 at some point. 

5 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Good luck recruiting 

Been told eventually Oregon and Washington is jumping ship from the Pac 12. It’s a matter of when. I know from Arizona perspective (asu as well) they want Oregon and Washington prove themselves before committing to being locked into a pac 12 along with ACC partnership. But the belief is Oregon and Washington are willing to wait it out until big 10 comes calling in the next couple years. At the moment, was also told Ucla and usc don’t want another west coast team in the big 10 but eventually it’s coming. The issue Arizona and asu have is they don’t trust Oregon and Washington not to jump and be stuck in the pac with them gone which is left with just bleh garbage at that point. Most inside the Arizona athletic department want to make the move to the big 12. Think they can get on track with football and be competitive. Also love that they get marquee games with kanas, baylor and houston. Pac 12 losing ucla and usc, the only good consistent basketball matchups would be Arizona vs. Oregon. Stanford and Washington occasionally good. 

• Like 1

The entire thing is one giant mess.

23 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

The entire thing is one giant mess.

Tbh really this comes back to Larry Scott being an awful commissioner for pac 12. If he did his job better the pac 12 would’ve had a better Tv deal and financially much better off. Add on if the pac 12 would’ve changed their revenue sharing then ucla and usc were less likely to leave but they never did. Scott was such a bad commissioner and the pac 12 presidents and ADs just allowed it to continue so they are at fault too  

The real kicker in all this is a couple years back, the pac 12 was going to pull in Oklahoma and Texas (i believe okie state and tech as well). which would’ve been massive for the conference. But It was killed that and they jumped to the SEC. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh really this comes back to Larry Scott being an awful commissioner for pac 12. If he did his job better the pac 12 would’ve had a better Tv deal and financially much better off. Add on if the pac 12 would’ve changed their revenue sharing then ucla and usc were less likely to leave but they never did. Scott was such a bad commissioner and the pac 12 presidents and ADs just allowed it to continue so they are at fault too  

The real kicker in all this is a couple years back, the pac 12 was going to pull in Oklahoma and Texas (i believe okie state and tech as well). which would’ve been massive for the conference. But It was killed that and they jumped to the SEC. 

I'm talking about the bigger picture and not just the pac 12 issues.  The product is going to be far inferior in 10 years as compared to what it has been historically.

4 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

I'm talking about the bigger picture and not just the pac 12 issues.  The product is going to be far inferior in 10 years as compared to what it has been historically.

I suspect the whole thing blows up in 10 years and we go back to traditional regional conferences. 

5 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

I suspect the whole thing blows up in 10 years and we go back to traditional regional conferences. 

Not so sure we will be able to go back

There's an ongoing conference realignment thread in the College Football & NFL Draft section.

As I mentioned before, somewhere, I think college football deserves its own section, separate from the draft, and also perhaps separate from other sports (since it is football and does have ties to the Eagles down the road).

• 1 month later...

Oregon in talks with the Big 10 to join the conference 

1 hour ago, Godfather said:

Oregon in talks with the Big 10 to join the conference 

Seems like just a matter of time before the BIG scoops up another 2-4 PAC schools. I’m which case, the 4 corner schools likely bounce to the B12 and the PAC ceases to exist as we know it. 

7 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Seems like just a matter of time before the BIG scoops up another 2-4 PAC schools. I’m which case, the 4 corner schools likely bounce to the B12 and the PAC ceases to exist as we know it. 

I think it's a matter of time before the Big12 ceases to exist as well. You'll have the SEC, BIG10, and ACC

8 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Yup been told oregon and washing are likely gone to the big 10 whenever they get the offer. Stanford likely to follow as well. Arizona wants to go to big 12. Asu wants to keep the conference alive and stay but it’s obviously gonna die. Both schools do to the board of regents wants to stay together. Utah and Colorado waiting on the next team to bolt before jumping.