Roster size ?

Rob331

Ok guys, help me out here. 

I read that the roster size for this year is 55 plus 12 on the practice squad as a result of the new CBA. 

But, all of the projections I see still reference 53. 

What gives?

So there's some funny ruling that actually to me is still unclear. 

Basically every week you can activate 2 extra players from your PS thus taking the roster up to 55. But I believe 1 of those extra players has to be an offensive lineman? Although I heard the other day, or at least I'm pretty sure I did, that 1 of those players has to be a QB?

I don't know why they don't just make it a 55 man roster? With the extra games it just makes sense. 

Honestly, with the lack of mini camps and such they should probably expand the rosters this year.

• Like 3

This team is like a walking infirmary.  The more active players the better. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So there's some funny ruling that actually to me is still unclear. 

Basically every week you can activate 2 extra players from your PS thus taking the roster up to 55. But I believe 1 of those extra players has to be an offensive lineman? Although I heard the other day, or at least I'm pretty sure I did, that 1 of those players has to be a QB?

I don't know why they don't just make it a 55 man roster? With the extra games it just makes sense. 

I’d say 63 man roster. 30 offense, 30 defense, kicker, punter, long snapper. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

I’d say 63 man roster. 30 offense, 30 defense, kicker, punter, long snapper. 

I'd be all for that. Honestly I don't know why they don't do something like that? So many roster moves get made anyway. 

37 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

This team is like a walking infirmary.  The more active players the better. 

The more active players however takes up more cap space. So those 2 or 3 extra guys who would normally be on the PS will now count towards your cap number which in turn reduces the amount you carry over next year. Id rather stick at 53 and call up players as needed. 

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

The more active players however takes up more cap space. So those 2 or 3 extra guys who would normally be on the PS will now count towards your cap number which in turn reduces the amount you carry over next year. Id rather stick at 53 and call up players as needed. 

If I am not mistaken or the old regulations still apply, the bottom few contracts (don't remember the cutoff) do not count against the cap.  They would be small numbers compared to the top 20 or so contracts anyway.  PS players get even fewer dollars.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd be all for that. Honestly I don't know why they don't do something like that? So many roster moves get made anyway. 

$$$

10 more players per team even at bare minimum would be at least like $5M, then apply that across each team. $160M at least per year the Owners wouldn't get.

4 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

If I am not mistaken or the old regulations still apply, the bottom few contracts (don't remember the cutoff) do not count against the cap.  They would be small numbers compared to the top 20 or so contracts anyway.  PS players get even fewer dollars.

Thats for offseason only. When the roster is at 90 only the top 51 count but when cutdown happens the entire team of 53 counts against the cap

55 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

$$$

10 more players per team even at bare minimum would be at least like $5M, then apply that across each team. $160M at least per year the Owners wouldn't get.

Yeah I mean there's the issue. But then what do PS players get paid compared to bare minimum in the NFL? And what about these 2 players who are protected each week? Are they paid as PS players or roster players?

On 5/21/2020 at 10:15 AM, Diehardfan said:

Honestly, with the lack of mini camps and such they should probably expand the rosters this year.

I was thinking the same thing! If everything nowadays is teleconferenced..why not make it a much larger number?

On 5/21/2020 at 1:15 PM, Diehardfan said:

If they’re going to a 17 game season they should expand the rosters period. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If they’re going to a 17 game season they should expand the rosters period. 

Without doubt! Plus more teams will play more games because of the extra wildcard spot for the play offs and only one team now getting a bye in the play offs. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Without doubt! Plus more teams will play more games because of the extra wildcard spot for the play offs and only one team now getting a bye in the play offs. 

If the players were smart they would want a bigger roster anyways. A few extra guys could lover the wear and tear of some key position players. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

If the players were smart they would want a bigger roster anyways. A few extra guys could lover the wear and tear of some key position players. 

Absolutely yeah. But like someone pointed out it comes down to money.

Spoiler

Wow - thanks folks, but no real clear answer.

On 5/21/2020 at 2:26 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think it's about money - on both sides. The PA is probably in favor of larger rosters (for safety) with an increased cap. The teams are in favor of larger rosters (for safety) with the same cap. More players with the same cap means less money per player - well the stars would still get paid but there would be more guys on league minimum contracts. 

Edit - I see someone already posted this - ;)

found it - 

The regular season active roster expanded to up to 55 players (from a 53-player limit), with the one or two extra spots only eligible for practice squad players elevated just for the regular season game. These practice squad players revert back to the practice squad once the game is over. The gameday roster limit increased from 46 players to 48, with a minimum of eight players being offensive linemen. If fewer than eight offensive linemen are active, the gameday roster limit decreases to 47.[34]

The practice squad player limit in the 2020 and 2021 seasons is 12 players, which increases to 14 in 2022.[35] Practice squad eligibility for players was increased, with a maximum of two players per team allowed to have an unlimited number of accrued seasons. This increases to four players per team for the 2022–2030 league years.[34]

• Like 1

It's not the size of the roster that matters - it's the motion of the infirmary.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nivraga said:

It's not the size of the roster that matters - it's the motion of the infirmary.

I see what you did there.