Brown explains why Hurts is 'just like me'

time2rock

Brown explains why Hurts is 'just like me'

They rolled into the parking lot a few minutes after sunrise.

It was Day 1 of training camp and nobody was going to beat Jalen Hurts and A.J. Brown to the NovaCare Complex.

"Like 6:30-ish,” Brown said after practice Wednesday. "We try to get in a routine. It’s the first official day so we knew we had practice at like 10 so we’re just trying to get on the same page.”

We’ve heard a lot about Hurts’ unparalleled work ethic over the last couple years, and now he’s got an elite wide receiver with the same mentality.

They’re good friends, they’re both committed to out-working everybody and for the first time ever they’re teammates.

"He’s just like me, you know?” Brown said. "Preparing, studying. This morning we got over here real early, before everyone else, preparing. That’s just who he is. Me and Jalen. Went over the whole script a couple times and just making sure we’re on the same page. That’s how he prepares. He’s a professional.”

Hurts hasn’t had anybody like this before.

His rookie year, his leading receivers were Jalen Reagor and Greg Ward. Last year he had DeVonta Smith, but as promising as he was, he was still a rookie. 

Brown is a stud, a Pro Bowler, a two-time 1,000-yard receiver, the top big-play receiver in the NFL over the past three years. And he and Hurts have a chance to do some special things this fall.

"I’m sure it will go to another level once we officially play the first game,” Brown said. "But definitely preparing with him and being around him all the time and being on the field with him as he’s throwing me the ball, it feels surreal.”

Yeah, but … 6:30 a.m.?

Eagles practices might be shorter than most, but the players are at the facility all day working and studying and lifting and watching film.

Hurts and Brown just like getting a head start on all of it.

"That’s just standard for the two of us,” Hurts said. "I know Smitty’s up here every morning too, he’ll join us. That’s the standard. We just put the work in. The work comes first. The work comes first every day. 

"When you're playing a team sport, it’s not always about Xs and Os. A lot of is ball but the other part of it is getting to know that person. Being on the same page with that person. Knowing how that person thinks and getting to know them thoroughly. We’ve got a lot of time to do that right now.”

Brown has only been an Eagle for a few months, but he’s really assimilated himself into the city. He’s active on social media, he never hesitates to interact with fans, and he’s quickly on his way to becoming one of the most popular players on the team.

Eagles fans have been starved for big-time wide receivers for much of the last 30 years. And a few have slipped through their hands. No reason to rehash that now.

Their only 1,000-yard wideouts over the last quarter century are T.O. in 2004, Kevin Curtis in 2007, DeSean Jackson three times and Jeremy Maclin once.

"I’m striving to get better each and every day, try to win every rep, and if the ball comes my way make sure I grab it and do what I do after the catch,” Brown said.

"I don’t worry about expectations. I’m hard on myself. I know my own goals, I don’t tell people my goals. I’m grounded, I’m humble, I love this game. I don’t take it for granted.”

Easy to root for this guy.

And Brown senses that Eagles fans have quickly embraced him.

"Ever since I’ve been here they’ve been showing me love,” he said. "If I go somewhere they’re showing me love. I appreciate it wholeheartedly. And now it’s my job to go do what I do and have fun and play football.”

Brown is always looking for ways to return the love, and he found one during a recent trip to the Eagles’ pro shop at the Linc.

"I was just in the area and I was at the pro shop and I was just going in there to see if my jersey was up,” he said. "Just fooling around and saw some fans in there and they were looking for some jerseys or whatever and I told them I’d buy them a jersey, and I bought a couple people jerseys. I Just wanted to show them love. I’m big on love. Showing love. That’s just who I am.

"That was one of the ways in that moment I could just show love to the fans. Fans out here are really passionate about this game and passionate about this team and the players and I wanted to give back in any way possible. Even though that was something so small. But I put smiles on peoples’ faces in the store and that’s all I could ask for.”

Look Hurts may not have the talent but I think he's won over a lot of fans just with his attitude and his work rate. I know that i want him to work out whilst being fairly realistic that it probably isn't going to. And to have a WR who he can work with and really build a rapport with is fantastic. 

Work ethic only goes so far when it isn't combine with the necessary talent. As much as I would LOVE to be proven wrong, I just don't see it with Hurts. 

• Like 1