Reagor opens up about battling for his job with Eagles

time2rock

Reagor opens up about battling for his job with Eagles

The first couple years, Jalen Reagor could get away with being out of shape. With lacking focus. With not producing.

As a first-round pick, he had that luxury. He wasn't getting cut.

Now, Reagor is scrambling. In Year 3, he’s fighting for playing time, fighting for reps, fighting for his job.

And he knows it. 

"Me personally, I love a good challenge,” Reagor said. "It‘s a humbling experience because you go from being a first-rounder to you’re battling. I like challenges, though.”

Reagor spoke to the Philadelphia media after practice Wednesday for the first time since last Oct. 29, nearly 10 months. 

Since then, his second season ended dismally, he lost his grandmother in January, and then he lost his best friend, former TCU teammate Jeff Gladney of the Arizona Cards, who was killed in a car crash in Dallas in May.

And he watched as the Eagles signed A.J. Brown and Zach Pascal, two high-profile additions that put his roster spot in even deeper jeopardy.

If Reagor wants a challenge, he’s got one because at this point in his career, nothing is guaranteed.

"I want to be here for the rest of my career,” Reagor said. "But it’s a business. It’s a business of production. So I’m going to handle my end and I’m going to let them handle theirs.”

Reagor dropped from a disappointing 396 yards as a rookie to a moribund 299 yards last year.

He’s one of only four wide receivers in NFL history drafted in the first round to start at least 24 games in his first two seasons and have less than 700 yards.

A career on the brink.

But by all accounts, Reagor reported in great shape, and working mainly with the second team, he’s enjoyed a good training camp so far.

"The big thing with Jalen is from two years ago to last year to now, mentally he’s in such a better space,” receivers coach Aaron Moorehead said Wednesday. "Every guy in this room has a responsibility to be a pro and being a pro is knowing your role and understanding that that role changes. 

"At any given time that role can change and Jalen’s come in and had a nice camp so far, he’s made plays, he’s done everything we’ve asked him to do and he’s got to continue to challenge himself on the field, off the field. 

"We’ve had no issues this year like stuff that happened last year, (when he) kind of came in out of shape. He came in in as good a shape as anybody in the whole camp this year and it shows.”

Reagor said he was more motivated this offseason to get into shape, and being at a career crossroads will do that.

"Probably the best shape I’ve been in since I left school,” he said. "I feel good. … Just putting my head down and going to work, not really worrying about anything else, just focusing on myself.

"Last year, I was dealing with a lot, and I wasn’t really focused on my training, but this year even dealing with a lot it just motivated me more.”

And as far as he’s come physically, he says he’s come farther mentally.

"I’m here mentally now,” he said. "It’s easy to be out here, but physically that’s a little part of the game. Being here mentally (is most important).”

Brown, DeVonta Smith, Quez Watkins and Pascal have roster spots locked up, undrafted rookie Britain Covey has looked very good and has big-time return skills, and Greg Ward has been around since 2017 and caught 50 passes a couple years ago.

Reagor, still only 23, may be in a competition with Covey for a fifth spot. If the Eagles keep six receivers, his odds improve. 

But the Eagles could also try to trade him and recoup something in exchange for a guy who probably won't have a significant role, even if he makes the team. And releasing him, clearing a roster spot and giving him a chance to start over somewhere else is also a possibility.

"We’ve got a hell of a room,” Reagor said. "There’s competition in there. Obviously, some people have their jobs, some people don’t, some people fighting. 

"So you’ve just got to come in and when people go down you step up, when people up, you just make sure you’re ready when it’s your turn. … I just don’t worry about anything.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-training-camp-2022-jalen-reagor-opens-about-battling-his-job

Some guys get drafted and they just aren't mature enough to handle the pros.......they like to walk across that stage during the draft and absorb the attention from being a first round draft pick......but the cold reality of professional football, the work required, the pressure and the expectations can make a kid hit a wall.  They think that football is a seasonal sports with some workouts in the offseason.  But it's a full year of preparation, constant workouts, constant learning.....and that's just to make the roster.  Being a player that can a starter and a top player, takes even more.

Reagor came here and I think that he was immature......and team was a mess, the organization was in disarray, and the QB's were struggling.  And that combination is a recipe for messing up your career.  Losing his friend was a mental thing and grief can literally turn off caring about other things.  And all this simply kills confidence.

I'm not making excuses for Reagor......I'm just trying to understand what happened to him. 

He is in a challenging position.....but it's not unrecoverable.  He did what he had to do this past offseason.  The coaches have acknowledged his talent but he'll have to earn more and more playing time.  But again, that is recoverable.  

And he's under contract for another 2 seasons, and if he can be productive and become a threat, the eagles will have to decide just how much they want to spend in the WR department. With Brown at $25 mil a year and Smith expected to be a top WR, he won't be cheap to resign.  If Reagor performs well, he could be traded for a better pick than what's being offered now.

I think he makes the roster.....and battles Pascal for that 4th spot.  But he may get more opportunity if Brown or Smith get injured, which NOBODY wants to see.

Give him easy catches in the preseason to inflate his value however much you can, and then look to trade him for whatever is the best you can get. Time to move on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Give him easy catches in the preseason to inflate his value however much you can, and then look to trade him for whatever is the best you can get. Time to move on.

I agree. He will bring more capital this year then if we wait. I also am hoping some team loses their #1 LT as I feel Dillard could bring us a high pick.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stine said:

I agree. He will bring more capital this year then if we wait. I also am hoping some team loses their #1 LT as I feel Dillard could bring us a high pick.....

I don't wish injury on any player, but if an opening comes up, moving Dillard would be beneficial in the long run.

Depth is an important factor in the NFL.....especially now that they have gone to an 18 game schedule.  Reagor may never play up to his draft status, but the coaches have been positive on him this year and he may be able to contribute if injuries hit the WR corps. They can wait and see if/when the market improves.    I think the only benefit salary-cap wise, is to trade Reagor, so the eagles have to weigh his contributions vs what offer they get for a trade.

Dillard is a different story.......we don't know how good he can be because Mailata surprised everybody and became a monster.  But if Mailata got hurt, the eagles could struggle to replace him without Dillard. But he's not going to resign here to be a backup so, if some team gets desperate, he could bring in a high pick.

The eagles have a TON of free agents next year and Howie has a lot of work to do. 

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

Depth is an important factor in the NFL.....especially now that they have gone to an 18 game schedule.  Reagor may never play up to his draft status, but the coaches have been positive on him this year and he may be able to contribute if injuries hit the WR corps. They can wait and see if/when the market improves.    I think the only benefit salary-cap wise, is to trade Reagor, so the eagles have to weigh his contributions vs what offer they get for a trade.

Dillard is a different story.......we don't know how good he can be because Mailata surprised everybody and became a monster.  But if Mailata got hurt, the eagles could struggle to replace him without Dillard. But he's not going to resign here to be a backup so, if some team gets desperate, he could bring in a high pick.

The eagles have a TON of free agents next year and Howie has a lot of work to do. 

We have depth at OT  Driscoll is a very reliable replacement. Remember we have probably the best O-Line coach in FB so I feel we could lose Dillard without too much worry. Besides, we probably will lose him anyway next year. For what? 1 - 4th round compensation pick?

Howie will have allot less to do next year than he did this one! He drafted a Solid DT, LB and C. We signed a WR for the future so that position is done. Sure we need more players as do every team in the NFL