QUICK TAKES: FIVE NOTES FROM DAY 10 OF EAGLES’ TRAINING CAMP

time2rock

QUICK TAKES: FIVE NOTES FROM DAY 10 OF EAGLES’ TRAINING CAMP

August 10, 2022

Eagles

Today was the Eagles’ final practice before Friday’s preseason opener vs. the New York Jets.

Participation Report

DID NOT PRACTICE

• TE Grant Calcaterra – hamstring
  • OT Le’Raven Clark – hamstring
  • RB Kenneth Gainwell – hip
  • S Anthony Harris – tooth
  • WR John Hightower – groin
  • C Jason Kelce – elbow
  • CB Jimmy Moreland – ankle
  • RB Boston Scott – concussion
  • WR DeVonta Smith – groin
  • S Jaquiski Tartt – personal reasons
  • CB Kary Vincent – groin
  • WR Greg Ward – toe
  • WR Keric Wheatfall – hamstring

LIMITED

• OT Andre Dillard – concussion
  • OT Jordan Mailata – concussion

The offense put together their best performance since the start of training camp; here are five notes from today’s 59-minute practice.

Hurts pushing the ball downfield

Jalen Hurts was accurate and decisive in his 10th practice, especially when looking downfield. He hit his favorite target, AJ Brown, on a back-shoulder pass for a TD down the right sideline in 7-on-7s. James Bradberry was close behind in tight coverage. On the very next play, Hurts found his other new WR Zach Pascal on another 30-yard TD.

There’s been a clear emphasis on the Hurts-Brown connection throughout camp, even moreso now with DeVonta Smith sidelined due to injury.

w1.jpg.d9a02c58a302736fe922640ff20a65d3.jpg

Jalen Reagor continues strong camp

Reagor is taking full advantage of the first-team reps he’s getting in Smith’s absence, hauling in an impressive sideline catch from Hurts today. The trade rumors surrounding Reagor are growing with every passing day, but all signs point to him being on the Eagles’ roster come Week 1.

w2.jpg.78cd7ea80d6a2935a8b4bad809192244.jpg

Reid Sinnett QB2?

As was the case at Sunday’s open practice, QB Reid Sinnett got some reps with the second-team today. Gardner Minshew has had a rough summer, throwing interceptions in nearly every practice thus far. He was picked off twice yesterday (both were deflections) and threw another INT today to LB Christian Ellis.

A quarterback who was once a threat to potentially unseat Hurts is now entrenched in a battle for QB2.

w3.jpg.c4ef5e0f157ee6cdc322b98215fe57e8.jpg

Britain Covey controls his own destiny

If Covey has a solid preseason, I don’t see how he doesn’t make the roster. He’s a quick decision maker and has been the most comfortable fielding punts. After getting rocked on a reception during today’s practice, the 170-pounder got right back up and made another catch on the next play.

Covey is an early candidate for the Paul Turner award.

Starters to get playing time in preseason opener

Prior to practice, Nick Sirianni revealed that the starters will play in the preseason opener vs. the Jets.

"Don’t have to make a final decision, obviously, until they go out there, but we’re thinking one or two series with the starters,” Sirianni said.

The Eagles have two joint practices on the calendar this summer, and Sirianni values those competitive environments over preseason reps.

"It’s important for everybody, you want to get everybody ready to go,” Sirianni said. "We have opportunities to get our starters ready in different ways in the joint practices and the different things we do there.”

https://thelibertyline.com/2022/08/10/day-10-eagles-training-camp/

• Haha 1

@time2rock thanks for posting the great 411 content. 

I've got baseball tickets for tomorrow, so I'll miss the preseason game.  All I want is no major injuries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

@time2rock thanks for posting the great 411 content. 

I've got baseball tickets for tomorrow, so I'll miss the preseason game.  All I want is no major injuries.

Thanks.  And no problem, happy to contribute. 

And same here ... no major injuries.  Well that and when Hurts is in (likely only for a series ... maybe 2), I hope he looks good.  If he looks like a bum it'll be concerning.