Is this a scam or am I a cynic ?

Rob331

OK - bear with me. 

• You are a player who knows he isn't going to make the team and will be an early cut 
  • You get a mystery injury that isn't readily verified medically
  • You get waived/injured 
  • No one picks you up and you revert to your original team
  • Your original team has the choice of an injury settlement or putting you on injured reserve. 
  • Either way you make money you wouldn't have if you were just plain cut
  • An injury settlement get you more bucks and a chance to be picked up by another team
  • Going to IR gets you a full year salary.

I might be a cynic, but I somehow think Mayden, Moorehead, and Lenoir all benefited by having fairly dubious injuries.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Who says the injuries are dubious?

Well they came out of nowhere. They are all "soft tissue" which are harder to verify. They all popped up in the week before cuts started. They all happened to guys who are unlikely to be picked up by other teams. Maybe that isn't dubious to you, and I respect that, but to me it is. 

Note, in the title of the post I admittd that I might be a bit too cynical. 

If there is a system, you can bet people will find a way to "play it." 

1. I'm not saying they are playing it...
2. See my original statement.

55 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

I might be a cynic, but I somehow think Mayden, Moorehead, and Lenoir all benefited by having fairly dubious injuries.

Mayden and Lenoir played 31 and 32 snaps in the pre season game, how do you know they were not injured then ??

Moreland suffered an ankle injury in camp.

Who really cares? 

Are we really going to criticize a team for putting a player on injured reserve - who (most likely) can barely afford rent after sacrificing his entire life (playing a sport) for an opportunity to make an NFL roster - so the guy can eat & feed his family this year and have another opportunity next year to make the team?

Seriously? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Note, in the title of the post I admittd that I might be a bit too cynical. 

You got the right spirit, namely, ."question everything!!"

Whatever the case, it's difficult to find out details about players who turn out to be camp bodies. Reporters probably won't ask, and teams won't bother announcing. Wikipedia pages get deleted if they had one. 

10 hours ago, Rob331 said:

OK - bear with me. 

• You are a player who knows he isn't going to make the team and will be an early cut 
  • You get waived/injured 
  • Your original team has the choice of an injury settlement or putting you on injured reserve. 
  • An injury settlement get you more bucks and a chance to be picked up by another team

Go participate in a NFL camp with hitting and see if you still think the same thing.  It's a brutal sport that takes years off of players' lives.

What is a mystery injury?   If these guys get injured, they're immediately checked out by trainers and doctors.

No team is going to claim an "injured" player without his injury being medically verified.

And why would a team offer an injury settlement to an unverified injury?

This whole scenario makes no sense....

• Like 1

Wouldn't a player be stupid not to do something like this?

Injury settlements cut both ways.  Teams use them to lower the cap hit on marginal players.  

Making or saving money is the sole motivation of the NFL.  Injury settlements benefit the teams as much if not more as the players. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 4:24 PM, EagleVA said:

It’s not your money, nor is it your rules so why do you even bother to care about a bunch of guys who weren’t making the team anyway? 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 12:04 PM, Rob331 said:

OK - bear with me. 

• You get waived/injured 

On 8/17/2022 at 4:24 PM, EagleVA said:

🤣 

maybe they got hurt when the gravity generator faulted for a split second.  

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 7:54 PM, Ace Nova said:

Who really cares? 

Are we really going to criticize a team for putting a player on injured reserve - who (most likely) can barely afford rent after sacrificing his entire life (playing a sport) for an opportunity to make an NFL roster - so the guy can eat & feed his family this year and have another opportunity next year to make the team?

Seriously? 

Exactly this. Everything in the NFL - everything - is a business decision. The players have as much right to make those decisions as any league owner, manager, coach, whatever. You think franchises in the league care about the players on, or below, the bubble? Hell no - they are dispensible, and they know it. These men sacrifice so much, for so long, I say let them get their bag while they can. It cuts both ways. More power to their elbows.

On 8/17/2022 at 1:03 PM, downundermike said:

Mayden and Lenoir played 31 and 32 snaps in the pre season game, how do you know they were not injured then ??

Moreland suffered an ankle injury in camp.

DUM - what's your point?

I think there is a pollibility there is a scam - are yousaying you don't or are you just being a smart a**

On 8/17/2022 at 10:23 PM, Procus said:

Go participate in a NFL camp with hitting and see if you still think the same thing.  It's a brutal sport that takes years off of players' lives.

I get it. But I still believe there is a possible scam going on. 

6 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

DUM - what's your point?

I think there is a pollibility there is a scam - are yousaying you don't or are you just being a smart a**

I think you should take your tinfoil hat off.

22 hours ago, downundermike said:

I think you should take your tinfoil hat off.

Dum d Dumdum