Mailata soaks up as much knowledge as he can from Myles Garrett

time2rock

Mailata soaks up as much knowledge as he can from Myles Garrett

BEREA, Ohio — Jordan Mailata was disappointed when he showed up to the first day of joint practices against the Browns and Myles Garrett wasn’t there.

So he made the most of Friday.

Garrett returned from a four-day absence for personal reasons on the second and final day of joint practices just in time to face off against the Eagles’ enormous left tackle in 1-on-1s.

"He got me on the first rep, I got him on the second one,” Mailata said. "But he’s a helluva player.”

As Garrett returned from his absence, he didn’t participate in team drills. So he went against Mailata just twice, both times in 1-on-1 battles. On the first, Garrett collapsed the pocket, pushing the 365-pound left tackle backward on a bullrush. On the second, Garrett tried a speed move around the edge and Mailata ran him wide.

The cool thing, though, is that Mailata and Garrett were supposed to face off for just one rep. But Mailata asked Garrett to go again and the All-Pro obliged.

The pair chatted after each of those reps and Mailata couldn’t wait to finish his interview session to join Garrett, Lane Johnson and Browns guard Wyatt Teller, who were all still chatting on a practice field.

It looked like Mailata and Garrett got some small talk out of the way and then shared tips while demonstrating techniques and stances.

Garrett seemed very impressed by Mailata and his initiative.

"I think he’s talented. I think he’s very athletic,” Garrett said to NBC Sports Philadelphia as he walked off the field. "I think he’s also a good person. He came over to learn more and I try to learn from him. I know they set a little bit differently than some other teams. They really kind of give them an opportunity to go 1-on-1 with the D-ends. I think he likes the challenge and the opportunity.”

There’s no question that there are things Mailata can learn from Garrett. The 26-year-old former No. 1 overall pick has 58 1/2 sacks in five seasons, including 16 in 2021, he’s been to three Pro Bowls and has been an All-Pro in each of his last two seasons.

If Garrett isn’t the best pass rusher in the NFL, he’s pretty darn close.

That’s why Mailata was disappointed he missed out of one of the two days of potential work against Garrett.

"Because I know of the quality player he is,” Mailata said. "For me, it’s just another hurdle that I’ve got to jump over. Eventually, we’ve got to face each other.”

Of course, that won’t happen this season. The Eagles and Browns don’t play each other in the 2022 regular season and neither team is expected to play their stars in the preseason contest on Sunday.

But for a few minutes on Friday, the former Australian rugby player more than held his own against one of the best defensive players in the world. And Garrett was definitely impressed.

"It was fun to be able to go against him,” Garrett said. "He’s not particularly new to this because he’s been doing this for a while now but he’s newer than some of us. He’s caught on pretty fast and I like his game.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-training-camp-2022-jordan-mailata-relishes-challenge-myles-garrett

You've got to love the work rate of both there. They both know that they can learn from each other so putting in that little extra time can benefit both. 

And I know we say it a lot but... What a story Mailata is.