Bears Packers rivarly

700Level4Life

One of the best in all of sports, or one of the most overrated things in all of sports?

I personally think its highly overrated and its only "big" in the eyes of Bears and Packer fans. 

2 hours ago, 700Level4Life said:

One of the best in all of sports, or one of the most overrated things in all of sports?

I personally think its highly overrated and its only "big" in the eyes of Bears and Packer fans. 

I personally think all rivalries are really only big in the eyes of the fans involved. The worldwide interest comes from the size and popularity of the teams. 

For example, in soccer some would argue that Celtic vs Rangers is one of the biggest rivalries in soccer. It may be in terms of history and the story behind that rivalry but neither is a team of interest these days so worldwide the rivalry isn't necessarily that big.

• Like 1

It’s talked about because it’s the oldest rivalry in the NFL. Any rivalry can be good if both teams are good at a given time. 10 years ago, the Steelers and Ravens was good to watch if you liked watching brutal defensive football. Both were contenders back then. Now, it’s mostly meh. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

It’s talked about because it’s the oldest rivalry in the NFL. Any rivalry can be good if both teams are good at a given time. 10 years ago, the Steelers and Ravens was good to watch if you liked watching brutal defensive football. Both were contenders back then. Now, it’s mostly meh. 

Guess that is similar to my comment that rivalries are a big deal when both teams are good and it's a huge decisive game. 

I'll defer to this video for best rivalry

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Guess that is similar to my comment that rivalries are a big deal when both teams are good and it's a huge decisive game. 

I suppose some might be interested if they’re big historical buffs who care about that stuff outside of their own team. I personally don’t have an opinion on rivalries like Bears/Packers, Chiefs/Raiders, Browns/Bengals, ect. 

• Like 1

It seems like the Bears and Packers are rarely good at the same time. Usually, when one of those teams is great, the other is average or less than average.

4 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I suppose some might be interested if they’re big historical buffs who care about that stuff outside of their own team. I personally don’t have an opinion on rivalries like Bears/Packers, Chiefs/Raiders, Browns/Bengals, ect. 

Yeah me neither. I guess when opposing fans really dislike each other and perhaps the teams do too then it can add something extra to the game? But I don't really care about the rivalry so much. 

Overrated as hell.

The average NFL fan would likely fall into the "OMG you're an idiot if you don't think Bears/Packers is the best rivalry ever!" crowd. Why? Because that's the narrative that's been pushed by the media and the NFL itself for decades. In reality, the "best rivalry ever" has been a one-sided pimp-slapping of the Bears courtesy of Green Bay. At least for the last 25 years anyways.

During that time, one team has won multiple Lombardi's. The other team has not. One team has had two HoF QBs that are both in the top 10 of all time at the position. The other had Smokin' Jay and Sexy Rexy. One team plays in the most historic and iconic stadium in football. The other plays at Soldier Field. One team beat the other in the biggest game they could possibly play against each other (2010 NFCCG). The other team lost to the other other team because their starting QB had a boo-boo and sat on the bench for most of the game. And finally, over the last 25 years, one team is 39-12 against the other. The other team is the sheety Bears. That's not a rivalry. 

That's not to say that it wasn't the best rivalry at one point in time. It definitely was. But you can't tell me that with the one-sided ish-kicking for the last quarter century that this rivaly doesn't get knocked down a few of pegs. Fantastic story. Pillars of making the NFL what it is today. Not the best rivalry. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

It seems like the Bears and Packers are rarely good at the same time. Usually, when one of those teams is great, the other is average or less than average.

Kinda like the Phillies/Mets rivalry. It's been quite rare when both teams have been good at the same time. Other than the 2007 pennant race, it's pretty much never happened.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 7:32 AM, EagleJoe8 said:

Yep.

@paco's youtube video has (my TL:DR;)

10. 49ers - Cowboys.  Hasn't been big in 20+ years. Is this even a thing now?

9. Eagles - Cowboys.  Yep.  

8. Patriots - Colts.  Nope.  How is this higher than the Eagles - Cowboys?  "Historic rivalry" is how this gets billing.

7. Bears - Packers.  Historic matchup, still a little entertaining to watch now, so yeah. 

6. Ravens - Steelers.  Holdover from the old Brown - Steelers rivalry.  Entertaining to watch, so yeah.

5. Steelers - Cowboys.  I enjoy watching this one.  Yep.

4. Browns - Bengals.  LOL, what?  Don't you have to be good to have a "rivalry" with anyone?    Nope.

3. Jets - Pats.  Really?  Do they know that?   Nope.

2. Raiders - Steelers.  Meh.  Like something out of the 70s.  Nope.

1. Eagles - Giants.  Absolutely. Is this bigger than Eagles - Cowboys?  I'm not sure it is...

Omissions:  Redskins - Cowboys?  Chiefs - Raiders?  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Yep.

@paco's youtube video has (my TL:DR;)

10. 49ers - Cowboys.  Hasn't been big in 20+ years. Is this even a thing now?

9. Eagles - Cowboys.  Yep.  

8. Patriots - Colts.  Nope.  How is this higher than the Eagles - Cowboys?  "Historic rivalry" is how this gets billing.

7. Bears - Packers.  Historic matchup, still a little entertaining to watch now, so yeah. 

6. Ravens - Steelers.  Holdover from the old Brown - Steelers rivalry.  Entertaining to watch, so yeah.

5. Steelers - Cowboys.  I enjoy watching this one.  Yep.

4. Browns - Bengals.  LOL, what?  Don't you have to be good to have a "rivalry" with anyone?    Nope.

3. Jets - Pats.  Really?  Do they know that?   Nope.

2. Raiders - Steelers.  Meh.  Like something out of the 70s.  Nope.

1. Eagles - Giants.  Absolutely. Is this bigger than Eagles - Cowboys?  I'm not sure it is...

Omissions:  Redskins - Cowboys?  Chiefs - Raiders?  

I’m not the biggest historical buff, but obviously it’s fairly well known that the Immaculate Reception is an iconic moment in both the Steelers’ and Raiders‘ histories. Outside of that, is there really much history to speak of between them?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’m not the biggest historical buff, but obviously it’s fairly well known that the Immaculate Reception is an iconic moment in both the Steelers’ and Raiders‘ histories. Outside of that, is there really much history to speak of between them?

Oh yeah, I mean there's good history there.  They talked about that in the video.  I guess my question is "do rivalries live forever"?  I mean, once a rival always a rival?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Oh yeah, I mean there's good history there.  They talked about that in the video.  I guess my question is "do rivalries live forever"?  I mean, once a rival always a rival?  

Outside of a division, usually no.  Inside a division, yes, unless you become R-words bad.  If a division opponent is pathetic for a quarter century, you really only look at them as the division record tiebreaker stat you need to pad.

It can be rekindled, but the "rivalry" really is meaningless in the meantime

• Like 1

The Steelers and Raiders were a "thing" in the seventies but outside of that, nahh. Just two teams in the same conference in different divisions. Nothing to see here.

On the other hand, the Raiders and Chiefs rivalry needs to be included on this list. They had violent, historic clashes in the sixties and have been enemies ever since.

Bears-Packers is the oldest, most played rivalry in the NFL. That doesn't make it the best.

On 5/24/2020 at 9:27 AM, paco said:

I'll defer to this video for best rivalry

Eagles-Giants, huh? Must be NY-bias. I think most Eagles fans consider the Cowboys a bigger rival.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, toolg said:

Eagles-Giants, huh? Must be NY-bias. I think most Eagles fans consider the Cowboys a bigger rival.

I didn't make the list.  I just liked one of our two rivals were #1.  (and the other is #9)

But to play devils advocate you could argue that the rivalry with the giants is better because:

1) Proximity

2) Head to Head record is virtually even

3) More "crazy" games (MitM 1-3 comes to mind)

4) The rivalry is one of the leagues oldest

5) It's definitely a two way way rivalry.  I feel like Dallas is too busy sniffing their own a**es to get up for Cowboys - Eagles the way we do. (This one is just a gut feeling, I can't back it up at all)

I'd actually say that the biggest two rivalries in the league over the years are Bears Packers and Giants Cowboys

54 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I would think not. Back between 2000-2002, we were forming a mini rivalry with Tampa, and while I still don’t care for them generally speaking, I don’t consider them a rival anymore. 

13 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I would think not. Back between 2000-2002, we were forming a mini rivalry with Tampa, and while I still don’t care for them generally speaking, I don’t consider them a rival anymore. 

Colts - Pats was a thing.  Until it wasn't 

• Like 1

Just now, paco said:

They should just call that one Manning Brady.  So many of these were QB rivalries more than anything.  

16 minutes ago, paco said:

Exactly. 

Screw em both.  Although Favre was one of my favorite QB's.

• Like 2

Looking at it from the outside, Packers/Bears is a good rivalry.  A casual fan can get into it.  You have two historic stadiums.  You have a good chance for snow or very cold weather for the last half of the season.  You have very old teams.  You have the oldest rivalry in football.  You have the Midwest, where the NFL has its biggest roots.

It is certainly better than a lot of other notable rivalries out there, like Browns/Bengals, Jets/Patriots, Rams/49ers, and so on.

its seems overrated because there's not many big games between the two anymore. like those have said already, a rivalry gets bigger as the games do. that said there is still something to it. those two historic teams going at it as they have for so long.

as far as the eagles go, the giants are no doubt the bigger rivalry, historically, but again, more often, the bigger games over the last 40yrs or so have been against the cowboys.

but to me, the biggest rivalry in sports is the Yankees/Red Sox, by a far margin.