Dillard has confidence of a starter stuck in a backup role

time2rock

Dillard has confidence of a starter stuck in a backup role

CLEVELAND — Before Sunday’s preseason game against the Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium, Eagles left tackle Jordan Mailata walked out on the rain-soaked field in street clothes for a workout and a leisurely stroll. Like the rest of the Eagles’ starters, Mailata had the day off.

Andre Dillard prepared to play.

Ever since Mailata beat out Dillard for the right to be the Eagles’ starting left tackle last summer, Dillard has been relegated to backup.

And it hasn’t always been easy for the former first-round pick.

"I’m not going to lie,” Dillard said on Sunday night. "It was hard at first. It was a lot. I had to look deep within myself last year and figure out, ‘What are you going to be from here on? How are you going to react to this situation, these cards that you’ve been dealt?’

"I’ve just been seeing every day as a new opportunity to improve and audition myself.”

It’s unclear exactly who the audition is for. The Eagles have had an up-close look at Dillard’s transformation over the last couple years but he won’t be a starter as long as Mailata is here. Mailata signed a $64 million contract last season and Dillard is entering the final year of his rookie contract.

Mailata is already a top tackle in the NFL, but Dillard is also a capable starter in the league.

The kind of capable starter that could end up being a pretty decent trade chip. Although, Dillard is trying not to focus on all of that.

"Shoot, whatever happens, happens,” Dillard said. "But I just try to be wherever my feet are at all times.”

What is clear, though, is that there’s just something different about Dillard this summer.

"I came into this year a lot more confident, a lot better mindset,” he said. "I’ve just been working hard, living in the weight room all offseason, working on my craft, basically.”

While Dillard began his body transformation a couple years ago, he found a new level of commitment this offseason. On Sunday night, he said he began working out after the playoff loss to Tampa in January and never stopped. That functional strength has been showing up in recent weeks. Dillard used to get bullied by bullrushes. Now, he sits on them with relative ease.

This isn’t the kid the Eagles drafted with the 22nd overall pick out of Washington in 2019. That kid wasn’t ready. That kid wasn’t big enough or tough enough physically or mentally.

Dillard has come a long way.

Throughout training camp and now two preseason games, it’s clear Dillard has grown. He now seems destined to shed that first-round bust label, even if it isn’t in Philadelphia.

"Obviously, there’s going to be some pressure with that,” Dillard said about being a first-round pick. "Coming in and being a people-pleaser, I cared about what people said. And then over the years, I realized that it’s all BS. I’ve just grown tremendously I think.”

There are no hard feelings between Dillard and Mailata either. Even though Dillard was once tabbed to be the franchise left tackle, a job Mailata has taken, they’re still very close. Dillard on Sunday called Mailata "one of the best human beings I’ve ever met.”

Mailata was even there to calm Dillard down last week when Dillard got in three separate fights at one training camp practice. On Sunday, Dillard explained that he told his teammates — Derek Barnett and Patrick Johnson — to stop headbutting him because he was coming back from a concussion.

"They didn’t stop,” Dillard said, "so we fought.”

Dillard has since made up with his teammates but just seeing that type of fight from him shows how far he’s come. Dillard doesn’t get bullied anymore.

"There were some rude awakenings, some growing experiences and it’s just made me into who I am now,” je said. "I’m proud of everything that happened. I don’t have any regrets. I just take every day as a new opportunity.”

These days, Dillard has the confidence of a starter. And it’s probably only a matter of time until his status in the league matches that.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-andre-dillard-has-confidence-starter-stuck-backup-role

He's developed quite nicely hasn't he! He's come on a long way and if it weren't for Mailata he'd be the starter and probably doing a pretty good job in there. 

He may have some trade value but the team should keep him as a good back up has so so value. Unless of course they get a really good offer for him. 

If Mailata was a first round pick and he was a 7th, I'd be equally as pleased.

On Sunday, Dillard explained that he told his teammates — Derek Barnett and Patrick Johnson — to stop headbutting him because he was coming back from a concussion.

"They didn’t stop,” Dillard said, "so we fought.”

Seriously, WTF is wrong with Barnett?!?!  Head-butting a teammate that is just returning from concussion protocol.  He can't be gone soon enough.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Seriously, WTF is wrong with Barnett?!?!  Head-butting a teammate that is just returning from concussion protocol.  He can't be gone soon enough.  

Sometimes people think something incidental is intentional. In fact, it happens all the time at all ages. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611799ff67b399a7acfcc

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

The thing is... It isn't like it is even out of character. Why did they bring him back. Why!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Sometimes people think something incidental is intentional. In fact, it happens all the time at all ages. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611799ff67b399a7acfcc

It was being discussed on either 94.1 or 97.5 (can't recall which) ... they said Barnett head butted him multiple times, even after being told to stop.  

It's too bad he hasn't shown some positional flexibility. I imagine he'll get a better offer from another team next year, more than what the Eagles would be willing to pay a backup, no matter how good.

In an alternative universe, Eagles put together a set of plays where Dillard lines up at LT, Mailata shifts behind the line to the backfield and becomes the power back the Eagles desperately need