More Roster Work

time2rock

More Roster Work

Posted: September 2nd, 2022 | Author: Tommy Lawlor 

The Eagles filled out the roster and practice squad with a set of three moves on Thursday. Things are set for now, but Howie Roseman and his staff are always looking to improve the team so more changes will be coming as the season progresses.

l1.jpg.8d159811fadc71b882843e3b69f1f6cc.jpg

Sermon played at Oklahoma and Ohio State while in college. I had him projected as a third round pick and sure enough that’s where he went. For whatever reason, things didn’t go well for him in SF. From the reading I’ve done, it seems like the coaches were frustrated with his style. Instead of being decisive and hitting the hole, he was looking for big plays. Sermon does have big play ability, but the SF coaches want guys to be as N-S as possible.

That description also happens to fit Miles Sanders. They are almost identical in size so the Eagles must think Sermon is a player they’ll be able to get good production from. Sanders has run for 2,439 yards and averaged 5.1 ypc in his time with the Eagles.

At 6-0, 215, he’s got solid size. Sermon is strong enough to break tackles and he will run hard. He’s not Jordan Howard, but he doesn’t go down on first contact.

[NOTE: click in link to article below to view video]

That is a good, physical run.

This play shows his good and bad.

https://twitter.com/Philly__Nation/status/1565431774175436805

Nice gain. Good cut to the outside. You see athletic ability and burst. The problem is that there was room to the inside, where the play was designed. The cutback worked this time, but SF coaches got frustrated with too many plays where it didn’t work. They prefer guys to hit the hole. Obviously the Eagles feel Sermon is worth bringing in and working with. He does have talent.

Here are Jimmy Bama’s thoughts on Sermon.

I watched a clip of John Lynch talking about cutting him. They had a UDFA who played really well for them this summer and Lynch said they had to reward his performance. The team had 5 RBs, a FB and 4 TEs. When someone had to go, it was Sermon. He got outplayed by someone else. Sometimes football is as simple as that.

Some good nuggets from Zach.

l2.jpg.64e488c9c793fd29cea7cdaecb37d585.jpg

The Eagles filled out their practice squad by signing RB La’Mical Perine and LB Davion Taylor.

Perine was a star at Florida and the Jets took him in the fourth round in 2020. He is more of a tough, physical, effort runner than anything else and that just wasn’t working in NY. That style could fit better in Philly, where he’ll have a good OL to run behind. Perine has run for 230 yards in two years and averages just 3.7 ypc. I like his style and think he’s a good addition.

Taylor is back with the team after getting cut in a "numbers game”. That’s how Nick Sirianni described the move. Taylor is a gifted LB, but had a wildly up and down summer. He was terrific in the opener and terrible the next week. He has the talent to be a solid NFL linebacker, but Taylor has to clean up the mistakes.

Now for the first injury news of the season.

l3.jpg.d6522c51f3d437da1eff7be4822c4e6f.jpg

Ugh. The Eagles can elevate Le’Raven Clark or Josh Sills if they want another LT. They like Clark, but I thought he really struggled this summer. Sills looked better to me, but he is a rookie. Hopefully Jordan Mailata will stay healthy and this will be a non-issue.

On the positive side, Jason Kelce is back at practice and Miles Sanders looks like he could be back for Week 1. More good than bad.

I think we’ve gone through all the camp/roster/cuts/signings stuff. We’ll be able to start actually talking about football in the coming days.

Lots of excitement for the 2022 season.

And the first few weeks will be extra interesting.

l4.jpg.fa36354e9a522b82ebf1076f8c90b6d8.jpg

http://igglesblitz.com/2022/09/more-roster-work/

I guess my biggest concern is that he is a big guy who doesn't run with that same power and size. As many have said he tends to cut to the outside instead of taking the inside route. If he's done that in SF then he's going to do that here. And so does he really give us that big physical back that we need to complement what we have?