Sleeper team 2022

Procus

12 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I'm not in love with the Saints without Sean Payton but Winston had 14 TDs to 3 picks last year throwing to a bunch of #3 WRs.

Saying every year will be like 2019 is not supported by his career.

2019 wasn't the only year he has struggled with interceptions and poor accuracy. Last year's handful of games is an outlier..... Why is last year's handful of games all of a sudden how he is gonna play? 

He makes poor decisions always has, which is why the BUCS didn't keep him and why he wasn't signed to be a starter anywhere else. 

7 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

2019 wasn't the only year he has struggled with interceptions and poor accuracy. Last year's handful of games is an outlier..... Why is last year's handful of games all of a sudden how he is gonna play? 

He makes poor decisions always has, which is why the BUCS didn't keep him and why he wasn't signed to be a starter anywhere else. 

He spent 2 years learning from Sean Payton? Last year is always more meaningful than 3 years ago?

His int rate is far lower every year other than 2019. If you expect 2019 Winston you will be disappointed.

Winston had 88 picks in his first 5 years. Peyton Manning had 100. (23 in year 4)

Also, the Bucs did not just get better because they got Brady. They got better because they got Brady, Gronk, AB, Fournette, and Wirfs.

Strange how No Risk It No Biscuit works much better with the greatest player in NFL history and going 4 deep in All-Pro / HoF level targets.

He's probably not going to take 14 and 3 to 30 and 7 in a full season but the 30 picks was clearly the outlier.

He will probably have something like 29 TDs and 15 picks.

I got Jacksonville winning the division.  More a statement about how bad the division is but I still got them winning it:

Jags 9-8

Colts 8-9

Titans 7-10

Texans 4-13

10 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Giants. They’ve been drafting oline and that always helps you get a couple extra wins. 

Washington, Wentz wins 10 games then chocks to get wild card.

Just now, Talkingbirds said:

Washington, Wentz wins 10 games then chocks to get wild card.

I think he’s benched mid season. 

On 9/4/2022 at 11:09 PM, Procus said:

Eagles no longer qualify as a sleeper - there's too much hype.

I'm going with Washington.  With all the focus on Wentz' faults, he should get a mulligan for 2020 if you ask me.  The entire OL went down that year, and when entire OL's go down, teams go in free fall.  Remember 2012?  As for the Colts, his stats were pretty good, but he came up short at the end.  Seems like by the latter part of the year, it was clear things weren't going to work out in Indy.  Irsay can be a bit of a kook, and I can see how somebody like Wentz could butt heads with him.  And there is some talent in Washington this year - a very good skill set the likes of which he probably hasn't seen since 2017.

So that's my prediction - expect Washington to make some unexpected noise.  Thoughts?

Chase Young reinjured his ACL?
Carson Wentz reported to be inaccurate a lot during practice, but I think they might get one or two wins more than the NY Giants.
That being said neither team will be above .500 at the end of the season. Maybe Washington will change it's name again after the Eagles sweep them.

My sleeper team is the Denver Broncos they finished 7-10 last in the AFC West but the addition of Russell Wilson might just be enough to get them into the Post Season.

On 9/4/2022 at 11:09 PM, Procus said:

Eagles no longer qualify as a sleeper - there's too much hype.

I'm going with Washington.  With all the focus on Wentz' faults, he should get a mulligan for 2020 if you ask me.  The entire OL went down that year, and when entire OL's go down, teams go in free fall.  Remember 2012?  As for the Colts, his stats were pretty good, but he came up short at the end.  Seems like by the latter part of the year, it was clear things weren't going to work out in Indy.  Irsay can be a bit of a kook, and I can see how somebody like Wentz could butt heads with him.  And there is some talent in Washington this year - a very good skill set the likes of which he probably hasn't seen since 2017.

So that's my prediction - expect Washington to make some unexpected noise.  Thoughts?

Washington won a down NFCE in 2020. Which means in 2021 they came in with a first place schedule. They finished 7-10 despite having to play the Bills AND the Packers AND the Rams AND the Bucs. Without context it looks like a run of the mill 3 games under .500, but every one of those teams made the divisional round. 7 wins in that scenario isn’t too bad.

Now in 2022, they have a similar team, but no longer have a first place schedule. If they didn’t have to play those teams last year, would 8-9 be so unbelievable? How about 9-8? Not unlikely if removing GB and LA and BUF. Suddenly they’re no longer a losing team, scheduling has a big impact.

Now consider all the personnel changes in the NFCE. Lots of new players, but it’s hard to argue any one of them is a bigger deal than a QB upgrade. Carson may only be the 16th or 17th best QB in the NFL, but he gives them a clear upgrade over Heinicke.

Washington lost to Dallas 27-20. Heinicke in that game was 11-27 with an interception, probably the worst QB performance Dallas saw all season. Washington also lost to Philadelphia 20-16. They very likely win both those games with 2021 Wentz.

Washington isn’t special any particular area, but they have a trustworthy defense, a good running game, a legit deep threat WR, and a good but not great Oline. So a 7-10 team with a 1st place schedule and the 27th best QB becomes a team with a third place schedule and a top 17ish QB. If Carson can give them 63% completion and only 7 INTs over 17 games like he did Indy… 10-7 is very possible, and 11-6 is quite plausible.

Commanders will finish dead last in division.  It's a roster that should be around .500, but when you got a franchise led by Snyder, Mayhew, Rivera and Carson Wentz, you are a cold stone lock to underachieve. 5-12.

2 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

If Carson can give them 63% completion and only 7 INTs over 17 games like he did Indy… 10-7 is very possible, and 11-6 is quite plausible.

Does Washington have a Jonathan Taylor to take the ball out of Wentz's hands? Cause that it what they needed to even get back in playoff contention and then they fell back out when they needed Wentz down the stretch the last few games. The main reason why they decided 1 year was enough of Wentz. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Does Washington have a Jonathan Taylor to take the ball out of Wentz's hands? Cause that it what they needed to even get back in playoff contention and then they fell back out when they needed Wentz down the stretch the last few games. The main reason why they decided 1 year was enough of Wentz. 

Washington did have over 2000 yards rushing last year. They don’t have a Johnathan Taylor, no, but they may not need one

34 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Washington did have over 2000 yards rushing last year. They don’t have a Johnathan Taylor, no, but they may not need one

I just keep hearing the last few years how great they will be and they end up being crap. I think their defense gets overrated as well. 

I think Reich gave up on him because Irsay had already made up his mind......and Irsay is bat sh-- crazy......Reich stuck his neck out once but was never going to convince Irsay to keep Wentz.   

What's never mentioned is that the Colts absolutely sucked the last couple weeks of the season.....along with Wentz......but he got all the blame. Their defense was terrible the last couple games.  Irsay thinks Matt Ryan will get them to the playoffs, but he wasn't any better than Wentz last year.

• Like 1