Is it too early for a mock?

Rob331

Not for me. 

So, it looks like we won't be forced into using our first round picks for drafting a quarterback. That's the good news. The bad news is the number of free agents and older guys who will be moving on. There are starters - Sanders, Seumalo, Kelce, Cox, HArgrave, BG, White, Edwards, Bradberry, CGJ, and epps as well as key backups  - Minshew, Scott, Pascal, Dillard, Opeta, and Lovato. Then there's Barnett. Obviously, Howie better get his re-signing pen busy. 

Neverthelass - here's my "it's really not too early" mock - 

• 1 - DT Bryan Bresee Clemson. 6'5" 300.I really don't think Cox will be back. Even if we lose both Hargrave and Cox a rotation of Bresee, Davis, Williams, and Tuipolotu is still strong
  • 1 - CB Elijah Ricks, Alabama. 6'2" 195 4.45. t's likely Bradberry will try free agency and look for far more $'s than the Eagles now have invested in him. Ricks will be a fixture for several years.
  • 2 - G Andrew Vorhees, Suthern Cal. Seumalo will need to be replaced. The lines are the Eagles bread and butter. 
  • 3 - Chris Rodriguez, Kentucky. If Sanders has a good year we won't be able to afford him if he has a bad one we won't want him. I'd prefer Charonnet but I think he'll be gone in the 2nd. Rodriguez is 224. 
  • 4 - DE Andre Carter, Army. 6'6" 250 4.7. Barnett won't be back but I do think the Birds will give BG a voctory lap. Nevertheless, we'll need a DE and CArter will only be there because he isn't playing for a power 5 or even a mid-major school. 
  • 7 - C Alex Forsythe, Oregon. We'll need a backup for Jurgens with Kelce retiring. 
  • 7 - QB Grayson McCall, Coastal Carolina. Minshew moves on and McCall comes in to compete with Ian Book for the back up roll. 

Let the games begin. 

• Like 1

I also have DT on my radar. And DE. 

Lot's of football to be played, but the Eagles pick may wind up being very late in the 1st round (29-32).

Here's hoping the Saints don't play well, but they still look tough. Saints pick (13-19)

So, Bresee might be there 13-19.

Do I pick QB Anthony Richardson or another QB if they're there at the end of the 1st? Maybe.

I like how you are planning for free agents to move on.

I think we need to look forward for how we manage a cap with Hurts signed to a cap killing extension.

YES!  Much too early. However, not too early to throw out some initial thoughts.

First of all, the Eagles must navigate through free agency, as they must every offseason. Management must entertain the business side of an NFL franchise (i.e., past performance, future projections, health, organizational fit, fan appeal, positional importance, upcoming season prospects, cap limits, agent demands, and depth charts, etc.).

For example, there currently are 12 new players on the roster that were NOT drafted as opposed to 5 that were. Additionally, we have around 5 more new faces on the practice squad. BTW, this goes on every offseason. Trust me, this will continue to change throughout the remainder of the season (out of necessity).

It is only my personal hope that management will give preference, within reasonable limits, to our own free agents. It is a painful reality that some of our favorite heroes will receive their "walking papers" this offseason (ex: Reggie/Dawkins, etc.). In any event, it is overly simplistic to entertain the hope that all of next year's needs can be fixed with 7 draft selections.

Perhaps, a better way to look at the 2023 draft is what players would we ideally want to acquire and what long-term problems they might address.

Time is yours.

When evaluating the needs at quarterback, both short and long term, a lot will hinge on Minshew (FA). Will he stay or will he seek better opportunities elsewhere? Personally, I'd like to see us pick up Joe Flacco for a year or two. Look at him; 551 passing yards, 6 TDs, 1 sack, 108 QBR and 8 years younger than Tom Brady. We need a quality backup next year.

There are numerous prospects that can be drafted or signed post draft that present good long term promise.

With pick 32 id like a guard, but id assume Seumalo is back on a pretty cheap deal. Id like Hargrave back if that happens DT isn’t a concern for me. Id like to see us invest in the Safety position but you know how that goes. CB or Safety in the first would be ideal for me. Hell with two picks maybe both. 

I would draft a QB either on day 3 or else do like this year UDFA (Carson Strong).

Some names to consider:

K. J. Jefferson, Ark.

Michael Penix, Wash.

Jaren Hall, BYU

Devin Leary, NC State

Malik Cunningham, L'ville

Stetson Bennett, UGA

Taulia Tagovailoa,  MD.

Tanner Mordecai, SMU

With a reliable veteran back-up "in-house" several might possess the ideal qualities to develop into a future back-up and/or bargaining chip down the road...aka Koy Detmer,  AJ Feeley, Nick Foles and Jeff Garcia.

At least I think the above-mentioned prospects represent better qualifications and potential as a #3 than Ian Book does.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:46 AM, Crazy Legs said:

When evaluating the needs at quarterback, both short and long term, a lot will hinge on Minshew (FA). Will he stay or will he seek better opportunities elsewhere? Personally, I'd like to see us pick up Joe Flacco for a year or two. Look at him; 551 passing yards, 6 TDs, 1 sack, 108 QBR and 8 years younger than Tom Brady. We need a quality backup next year.

There are numerous prospects that can be drafted or signed post draft that present good long term promise.

i think Minshew will be leaving us and I sure ike your idea related to FLacco. I think Howie and company would disagree with us and favor a running quarterback so they offense would have minimal change. Even Minshew is at least mobile and Flacco is a cigar store indian. 

22 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

I would draft a QB either on day 3 or else do like this year UDFA (Carson Strong).

Clayton Tune from Houston semms to be under the radar. I watched one of his games and was impressed. He mobile and tall also. 

23 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

With pick 32 id like a guard,

From your lips to God's ear. So far, but it's early thought  - If its a guard at 32 I'd go for Anderw Vorhees from Southern Cal. He's 6'6" 320, a perfect bookend to Dickerson. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob331 said:

i think Minshew will be leaving us and I sure ike your idea related to FLacco. I think Howie and company would disagree with us and favor a running quarterback so they offense would have minimal change. Even Minshew is at least mobile and Flacco is a cigar store indian. 

Not every team is in a position or have the luxury to have a Sonny Jurgensen, Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Billy Kilmer, George Blanda,  Ron Jaworski, etc. backing-up a Pro-bowl QB for several years...ready to not miss a beat. Minshew would be nice, but his ambition might preclude retaining his services. Joe is entering the twilight of his pro career, but still producing.

Ideally, he could be a placeholder for a short period until a promising rookie could come up to speed. I go back a long way and fondly remember King Hill backing-up Norm Snead while 2nd round pick Jack Concannon was on the bench (on a 40-man roster no less).  Due to several injuries, Jack was called upon to play his unique style of play. He was a scrambler along the lines of HOF Fran Tarkenton. Two years later, he was swapped to the Bears for HOF TE Mike Ditka.

2 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Clayton Tune from Houston semms to be under the radar. I watched one of his games and was impressed. He mobile and tall also. 

Good example of the point I was making. 

On 9/20/2022 at 12:50 PM, Rob331 said:

Not for me. 

So, it looks like we won't be forced into using our first round picks for drafting a quarterback. That's the good news. The bad news is the number of free agents and older guys who will be moving on. There are starters - Sanders, Seumalo, Kelce, Cox, HArgrave, BG, White, Edwards, Bradberry, CGJ, and epps as well as key backups  - Minshew, Scott, Pascal, Dillard, Opeta, and Lovato. Then there's Barnett. Obviously, Howie better get his re-signing pen busy. 

Neverthelass - here's my "it's really not too early" mock - 

• 1 - DT Bryan Bresee Clemson. 6'5" 300.I really don't think Cox will be back. Even if we lose both Hargrave and Cox a rotation of Bresee, Davis, Williams, and Tuipolotu is still strong
  • 1 - CB Elijah Ricks, Alabama. 6'2" 195 4.45. t's likely Bradberry will try free agency and look for far more $'s than the Eagles now have invested in him. Ricks will be a fixture for several years.
  • 2 - G Andrew Vorhees, Suthern Cal. Seumalo will need to be replaced. The lines are the Eagles bread and butter. 
  • 3 - Chris Rodriguez, Kentucky. If Sanders has a good year we won't be able to afford him if he has a bad one we won't want him. I'd prefer Charonnet but I think he'll be gone in the 2nd. Rodriguez is 224. 
  • 4 - DE Andre Carter, Army. 6'6" 250 4.7. Barnett won't be back but I do think the Birds will give BG a voctory lap. Nevertheless, we'll need a DE and CArter will only be there because he isn't playing for a power 5 or even a mid-major school. 
  • 7 - C Alex Forsythe, Oregon. We'll need a backup for Jurgens with Kelce retiring. 
  • 7 - QB Grayson McCall, Coastal Carolina. Minshew moves on and McCall comes in to compete with Ian Book for the back up roll. 

Let the games begin. 

Kempski's "Captain Obvious" article on 411 is right on target.

23 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

go back a long way and fondly remember King Hill backing-up Norm Snead while 2nd round pick Jack Concannon was on the bench (on a 40-man roster no less).

You and me both my friend

2 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

Kempski's "Captain Obvious" article on 411 is right on target.

Not sure I understand. Please fill me in. 

8 hours ago, Rob331 said:

You and me both my friend

Not sure I understand. Please fill me in. 

That being DE and CB are the most critical positions to be addressed in next year's draft, with DT and S being close behind in terms of need. They will require immediate attention in order to avoid a swift decline in strength and depth.

The remaining needs can be satisfied with picks on days 2 and 3, along with UDFAs and available vets

To summarize, the draft is not a panacea for all our needs. Rather, it is an overall strategy to include cap management, player development, expert scouting and retention of key players.

10 hours ago, Crazy Legs said:

To summarize, the draft is not a panacea for all our needs. Rather, it is an overall strategy to include cap management, player development, expert scouting and retention of key players.

Thanks pal. I read the Kempski article after i read your post. 

My point - we have 4 premium draft picks while there are 10 starters and 4 or 5 key backups heading to free agency. If we resign Hurts there won't be $'s to sign free agents as replacements which makes the draft the primary source of replacement talent.

My thinking will obviously develop over the next months and as Howie resigns our current talent, but as of now I predict at leat one of the 1st round picks getting traded down to get more premius (2nd day) picks. 

47 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

Thanks pal. I read the Kempski article after i read your post. 

My point - we have 4 premium draft picks while there are 10 starters and 4 or 5 key backups heading to free agency. If we resign Hurts there won't be $'s to sign free agents as replacements which makes the draft the primary source of replacement talent.

My thinking will obviously develop over the next months and as Howie resigns our current talent, but as of now I predict at leat one of the 1st round picks getting traded down to get more premius (2nd day) picks. 

Promising response. I too have suffered similar concerns going into the off-season. As I pointed out in an earlier post, more than half of the roster replenishment this season was sourced from outside of the 2022 draft. If you undertake a serious dive into past history, you will see that this is the rule - not the exception. At this point, I think it's still safe to say "anything goes".