Do we have an indefensible passing attack?

opa-opa

Pardon my grammar but what i mean to say is, is our current corps of receivers impossible to defend?

Imagine you are the DC and you have these 4 streaking down the field and you have to defend against them:

Quez - a Djax-lite with blazing speed.

Goedert - the best pass catching tight end in the league right now.

Devonta - one of the best route runners and almost impossible to shut down

And finally but not least AJ...who is almost like a TO clone. 

How do you stop that? Looks like the only thing you can do is hope that Hurts plays a bad game.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Let’s judge this after more than two games.  If we are using a two game sample, Tua is the 3rd best QB in the NFL.

Yeah but u can see signs of what i mean in last nights game. Hurts had amazing passing stats but not really because he was super accurate. But because on almost every pass the target was eithet wide open or not really defended. That shows that one receiver is frequently doubled leaving someone else open.

25 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Pardon my grammar but what i mean to say is, is our current corps of receivers impossible to defend?

Imagine you are the DC and you have these 4 streaking down the field and you have to defend against them:

How do you stop that? Looks like the only thing you can do is hope that Hurts plays a bad game.

The Eagles have probably the best receiving core in franchise history, but let's not under estimate the competition in the NFL such as Miami's 

WR Tyreek Hill 1st in receiving yards and WR Jaylen Waddle 3rd in rec. yards. Let's just look at next week's game;

The Washington Commanders have WR Jahan Dotson and WR Terry Mclaurin and WR Curtis Samuel.

I would say A.J. Brown > Terry McLaurin, but it's closer than you think. They are different types of WRs I think Terry is more like Tyreek Hill but not as good. Where I would say A.J. Brown is more like T.O. but better.

The same problem other teams have defending the Eagles receiving core, the Eagles will have to deal with this week. The Commanders are 2nd in passing yards.

I think the best thing to do is to defend the deep pass and hope that time of possession being strongly favored by the Eagles rushing attack reduces their ability to outscore the Eagles offense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No did Dallas have an indefensible offense last year? They had a lot of talent on offense.  There's always a possible defense.  But we do have the makings of a very good offense

• Like 1

We appear to have a very good passing attack.  By the end of the season, we may even be calling it "elite."  Maybe.  But there is no such thing as an "indefensible" passing attack.

• Like 2

They will have bad days but a healthy Hurts should obliterate the sad boy with a SB ring Eagles record of 4039 yards passing. 

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

It's been 2 games.

5382dd61-8bbd-4d64-833f-783e0f1bb69d_text.gif

One of the greatest movies ever, in my top 3.  And the lines in it are classic.......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

The Eagles have probably the best receiving core in franchise history, but let's not under estimate the competition in the NFL such as Miami's 

WR Tyreek Hill 1st in receiving yards and WR Jaylen Waddle 3rd in rec. yards. Let's just look at next week's game;

The Washington Commanders have WR Jahan Dotson and WR Terry Mclaurin and WR Curtis Samuel.

I would say A.J. Brown > Terry McLaurin, but it's closer than you think. They are different types of WRs I think Terry is more like Tyreek Hill but not as good. Where I would say A.J. Brown is more like T.O. but better.

The same problem other teams have defending the Eagles receiving core, the Eagles will have to deal with this week. The Commanders are 2nd in passing yards.

I think the best thing to do is to defend the deep pass and hope that time of possession being strongly favored by the Eagles rushing attack reduces their ability to outscore the Eagles offense. 

Slow that way down. HoF wide out, usually put in the top 5 to ever play the position....

• Like 4

I think the pieces are there for it to be yes. I mean teams can't cover AJ, Smith and Goedert. Throw in Pascal and Watkins and RBs who can catch the ball and teams just can't hang with that. The key is of course Hurts and that's the big question. He's been very very good through 2 weeks but we know he does have shortcomings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, let's see..

The 2001 Rams with HoF QB Kurt Warner, HoF RB Marshall Faulk, HoF WR Isaac Bruce and borderline HoF Torry Holt got shut down in the biggest game of the year.

So I'm going to go with no.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, downundermike said:

Let’s judge this after more than two games.  If we are using a two game sample, Tua is the 3rd best QB in the NFL.

This.  People need to pump the breaks a bit.  So hard to make any kind of evaluation on pretty much every team this early in the season.  Let’s see where we are and how we look around mid season.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

This.  People need to pump the breaks a bit.  So hard to make any kind of evaluation on pretty much every team this early in the season.  Let’s see where we are and how we look around mid season.  

Flacco being in the top 5ish range everywhere let's me know it's only week 2 lol

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, opa-opa said:

AJ is not TO.  TO was a freak.  He'd go across the middle and make tough catches.  He'd blow past the defenders to catch the deep ball.  He was an athletic freak.  AJ has the potential to be a great WR, maybe even a HoF WR, but he's not a TO clone.   Now, if I had to pick one of the two to have on my team: 2004 TO vs. 2022 AJ I think I'd pick AJ.  AJ is a good team guy, TO was a cancer.

I'm almost as giddy as you about this team, I think the last time I was this excited we won the super bowl.   Let's see if Jalen & co can keep this up for a few weeks.  I'm really concerned about the Commanders.  We should win that game easily, but it feels like one we could lose if we don't take it seriously.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

I think it's the combination of our offensive line and our receiving corps that stands out compared to other teams.   Several teams have as good or maybe a better group of receivers, but our OL is where the Eagles really differentiate themselves, especially compared to Washington.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

AJ is not TO.  TO was a freak.  He'd go across the middle and make tough catches.  He'd blow past the defenders to catch the deep ball.  He was an athletic freak.  AJ has the potential to be a great WR, maybe even a HoF WR, but he's not a TO clone.   Now, if I had to pick one of the two to have on my team: 2004 TO vs. 2022 AJ I think I'd pick AJ.  AJ is a good team guy, TO was a cancer.

I'm almost as giddy as you about this team, I think the last time I was this excited we won the super bowl.   Let's see if Jalen & co can keep this up for a few weeks.  I'm really concerned about the Commanders.  We should win that game easily, but it feels like one we could lose if we don't take it seriously.

I also don't really get the TO comparison. Brown is more along the style of Anquan Boldin --- just a really physical WR. Brown is quite a bit faster, though, and hopefully will have an even better career. 

• Like 3

I love how many more weapons this team has, but I’m not ready to call this unstoppable especially with these presnap penalties. 

• Like 1

I'll tell you who the Eagles miss - Brandon Brooks.  I hope Howie beefs up the OL in the 2023 draft.  RG is a position of need right now, and soon RT will be as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Nothing is indefensible. But if Hurts keeps spreading it around, it is a very hard offense to contain.

I think that's the best way of saying it. This team can be pretty unstoppable but it all really lies on Hurts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1