Josh McDaniels got Doug Pederson fired

Rob331

No. it's not because someone in the Eagles front office wanted McDaniels. 

Follow these events that actually happened. 

1. Indianapolis announces a tentative deal with McDaniels to be their coach
  2. McDaniels backs out of the deal
  3. Indianapolis signs Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich to be their head coach
  4. Doug insists on making Press Taylor the offensive coordinator
  5. Doug Pederson is fired. 

So we have Josh to thank instead of Wentz then ... cool.  

Team Sirianni!  :flex:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So when the Eagles win the Super Bowl we should thank McDaniels for backing out of the deal and not being yesman enough for Lurie to hire here too? 🤔🤔🤔 😂

0175BC24-1A41-4ECB-AD86-0517CC01D50C.jpeg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SwingOnThis said:

I think Doug hired Press Taylor to be OC of the Jags didn't he? 

817FE536-751B-49FC-ACD5-B525BDC14A23.jpeg

18 hours ago, Rob331 said:

1. Indianapolis announces a tentative deal with McDaniels to be their coach
  2. McDaniels backs out of the deal
  3. Indianapolis signs Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich to be their head coach
  4. Doug insists on making Press Taylor the offensive coordinator
  5. Doug Pederson is fired. 

man, you have been sitting on this hot take for 1 1/2 years ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

well you've been sitting on the powerbottom for longer than that

19 minutes ago, Procus said:

well you've been sitting on the powerbottom for longer than that

really sticking with the gay shtick i see, good move by you. it fits. 

22 hours ago, Rob331 said:

1. Indianapolis announces a tentative deal with McDaniels to be their coach - 2018
  2. McDaniels backs out of the deal - 2018
  3. Indianapolis signs Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich to be their head coach - 2018
  4. Doug insists on making Press Taylor the offensive coordinator - 2020
  5. Doug Pederson is fired. - 2020

This is a bit oversimplified because there's a significant time gap between events. Since the Super Bowl year in the 2017-18 season, the Eagles had Mike Groh as the OC for 2 years before he was let go in 2020. Press Taylor was a holdover from the Chip Kelly staff. 

There was plenty of time for the team to look at external candidates to replace Reich and DeFillippo who left the same offseason, if the team wanted to go that route but the preference was to promote from within with Groh and Taylor from Doug Pederson's standpoint. In 2018 it's hard to argue against that since they just won a Super Bowl with that group, but after the team let go of Mike Groh, an internal promotion himself, in 2020, one would think Doug Pederson may look for an external candidate to help the offense rather than just promoting Press Taylor.  

However, the fact that Doug Pederson was the HC for the Eagles Super Bowl winning squad, you would think he would get more wiggle room than one losing season before being let go? He was fired sooner than any of Jeffrey Lurie's previous hires: Ray Rhodes, Andy Reid, and Chip Kelly were all let go after 2 consecutive losing seasons. This was clearly a power struggle between the FO and the head coach. Doug Pederson may have initially been hired as someone the FO thought they can control, but after the Super Bowl win, that was no longer the case.

The fact that Howie Roseman is working with his 4th head coach as the GM says it all. Fortunately for us, he is gradually learning from previous personnel blunders.

1 hour ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

This is a bit oversimplified because there's a significant time gap between events. Since the Super Bowl year in the 2017-18 season, the Eagles had Mike Groh as the OC for 2 years before he was let go in 2020. Press Taylor was a holdover from the Chip Kelly staff. 

There was plenty of time for the team to look at external candidates to replace Reich and DeFillippo who left the same offseason, if the team wanted to go that route but the preference was to promote from within with Groh and Taylor from Doug Pederson's standpoint. In 2018 it's hard to argue against that since they just won a Super Bowl with that group, but after the team let go of Mike Groh, an internal promotion himself, in 2020, one would think Doug Pederson may look for an external candidate to help the offense rather than just promoting Press Taylor.  

However, the fact that Doug Pederson was the HC for the Eagles Super Bowl winning squad, you would think he would get more wiggle room than one losing season before being let go? He was fired sooner than any of Jeffrey Lurie's previous hires: Ray Rhodes, Andy Reid, and Chip Kelly were all let go after 2 consecutive losing seasons. This was clearly a power struggle between the FO and the head coach. Doug Pederson may have initially been hired as someone the FO thought they can control, but after the Super Bowl win, that was no longer the case.

The fact that Howie Roseman is working with his 4th head coach as the GM says it all. Fortunately for us, he is gradually learning from previous personnel blunders.

So do you agree or not. Don't ingnore the fact that replacing Reich with Groh was a significant downgrade. My take is Doug was the moving force behind the Groh promotion as well as some assistants. They didn't work out and it was particularly obvious with Groh. That led to the big rift - Doug wanted Press and Howie/Jeffrey didn't.

By the way - based on the Jacksonville offensive performance Howie/Jeffrey were right.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

Nah - I was looking at all the teams and those that were involved stood out. 

Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, New England, and the Birds. 

I guess I', slow on the uptake since the pieces just fit together for me now. Did you coe to the conclusion earlier than me?

11 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Nah - I was looking at all the teams and those that were involved stood out. 

Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, New England, and the Birds. 

I guess I', slow on the uptake since the pieces just fit together for me now. Did you coe to the conclusion earlier than me?

op is a ****ot

21 hours ago, Rob331 said:

So do you agree or not. Don't ingnore the fact that replacing Reich with Groh was a significant downgrade. My take is Doug was the moving force behind the Groh promotion as well as some assistants. They didn't work out and it was particularly obvious with Groh. That led to the big rift - Doug wanted Press and Howie/Jeffrey didn't.

By the way - based on the Jacksonville offensive performance Howie/Jeffrey were right.  

I agree with your above statement, but disagree with your original argument and this is why. Doug has shown a tendency to favor promoting his guys internally during his time with the Eagles, as many coaches do. If I recall correctly, prior to the Super Bowl season, the Eagles FO actually considered letting Frank Reich go after 2016, and Doug went to bat for him and pushed for his retention. Then of course as we all know the 2017-18 Super Bowl season happens, McDaniel's infamously backs out from the Indy job afterwards and the Colts "settle" for Reich instead. 

I would say that what McDaniels did was put the Eagles in a position to lose Reich faster than they would have otherwise. Coordinators/assistants from Super Bowl winning teams get raided all the time, if not during the playoff run, the following offseason, if that team continues to show success the next year. I think Frank Reich as the OC for our Super Bowl winning team and not previously having a failed stint as an NFL HC on his resume (like Jim Schwartz) would have made him quite appealing as a candidate the following hiring cycle and we would have still lost him one year later. Doug would then still default to promoting Groh, Taylor, etc... if they were not already hired elsewhere by association with recent Super Bowl success, and we would probably be in the same boat, just 1 year later then when it actually happened.

All McDaniels did was bring to light Doug's willingness to promote from within rather than look for external candidates a bit faster. So it's more like Doug Pederson is the driving force behind his eventual dismissal, but McDaniels sped up the process? He lucked out with Reich being a quality OC, but got burned when the other guys didn't pan out. 

31 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I agree with your above statement, but disagree with your original argument and this is why. Doug has shown a tendency to favor promoting his guys internally during his time with the Eagles, as many coaches do. If I recall correctly, prior to the Super Bowl season, the Eagles FO actually considered letting Frank Reich go after 2016, and Doug went to bat for him and pushed for his retention. Then of course as we all know the 2017-18 Super Bowl season happens, McDaniel's infamously backs out from the Indy job afterwards and the Colts "settle" for Reich instead. 

I get what you're saying. I think the series of events dictated the scenario. I'm not sure we completely disagree, but it's been an interesting conversation. thanks. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I would say that what McDaniels did was put the Eagles in a position to lose Reich faster than they would have otherwise. Coordinators/assistants from Super Bowl winning teams get raided all the time, if not during the playoff run, the following offseason, if that team continues to show success the next year. I think Frank Reich as the OC for our Super Bowl winning team and not previously having a failed stint as an NFL HC on his resume (like Jim Schwartz) would have made him quite appealing as a candidate the following hiring cycle and we would have still lost him one year later. Doug would then still default to promoting Groh, Taylor, etc... if they were not already hired elsewhere by association with recent Super Bowl success, and we would probably be in the same boat, just 1 year later then when it actually happened.

All McDaniels did was bring to light Doug's willingness to promote from within rather than look for external candidates a bit faster. So it's more like Doug Pederson is the driving force behind his eventual dismissal, but McDaniels sped up the process? He lucked out with Reich being a quality OC, but got burned when the other guys didn't pan out. 

Nice novel Charles Dickens 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Thanks, I think I'll call this one Great Expectations 😂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Thanks, I think I'll call this one Great Expectations 😂

shutup stupid

On 10/22/2022 at 12:12 PM, EaglePhan1986 said:

blasphemy