Sal Paolantonio: 4 Running Backs Eagles Should Target in a Trade

Procus

https://973espn.com/sal-paolantonio-4-running-backs-eagles-should-target-in-a-trade/

Sal Paolantonio: 4 Running Backs Eagles Should Target in a Trade

Published: October 21, 2022

The Philadelphia Eagles have reached their bye week with a perfect 6-0 record and are the top seed in the NFC.

Back in 2017 when it was apparent tha Eagles were ready to do something special, they made a trade to bring in running back Jay Ajayi from the Miami Dolphins, to give them another back to pair with veteran LeGarrette Blount.

Could Howie Roseman make another move to try and add another piece to what has been a perfect team to this point?

One issue is, if they make a trade, where do they add?

If you add another pass rusher, who losses snaps, Brandon Graham or Josh Sweat? They already can't get first-round pick Jordan Davis on the field enough, Nakobe Dean has bare stepped on the field and they added CJ Gardner-Johnson before the season started to add to the safety spot.

On offense, the line is as asolid as any in the NFL, they have one of the top tight ends in football and maybe the best tandem of wide receivers in football.

How about running back?  Just like 2017, maybe they add an other running back to the mix to give them a different look at times.

On Thursday's edition of The Sports Bash, ESPN senior National Correspondent Sal Paolantonio gave me four running backs that he would like to see the Eagles target if they male a trade.

1. Rex Burkhead, Houston Texans.

Burkhead is a great pass catching back out-of-the-backfield, who can be a big weapon on third-down.  He is a veteran who has played in some big games with the Patriots and wouldn't need a lot of snaps to make an impact in the offense.

2. Brandon Bolden, Las Vegas Raiders.

Bolden is another veteran back, who would be a specialty player for the Eagles, Bolden is a good pass catcher, catching 41 ballas last season in New England and could also add to the Eagles special teams, which have struggled this season.

3. Latavius Murray, Denver Broncos.

Murray is another veteran player who could come in a be a power back for the Eagles.  At 6-foot-3, 230, Murray could give he Eagles that short yardage and goaline back, giving he team another option with Jalen Hurts doing much of the work in short-yardage situations.

4. Kareem Hunt, Cleveland Browns.

Hunt is a much different player than the three players listed above, he might be the lead back if the Eagles brought him in, or at least be in a split carry situation with Miles Sanders.

Hunt is one of the better backs in the league, but the Browns are going nowhere.  In his last game, he carried just four times for 12 yards.  He is also a capable pass catcher and would be a very intriguing addition to the Eagles offense.

The NFL trade deadline in Nov 1.

Hunt would be the one based on talent but I'm not sure what he'd cost and I'm not sure what he'd do to the locker room togetherness. The other 3 don't really interest me much although Murray would bring some size and physicality. 

4 hours ago, Portyansky said:

No thanks to any of them. Serman is way better than people give him credit for. Especially behind our oline.

How many carries does Sermon have this year though? Not many. I can only think of one (though I'm sure it's more than one).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

How many carries does Sermon have this year though? Not many. I can only think of one (though I'm sure it's more than one).

Exactly why we don't need another RB. Sermon had his opportunity when Scott was out. Sanders, Scott, Gainwell, Sermon. Don't need another bench warmer unless one of those get injured.

Just now, Portyansky said:

Exactly why we don't need another RB. Sermon had his opportunity when Scott was out. Sanders, Scott, Gainwell, Sermon. Don't need another bench warmer unless one of those get injured.

My point is we don't know what Sermon can be in this offense so we can't really say he's better than other options. 

Love how this person blows off trading for a DE with his argument about "who loses snaps" then proceeds to list mostly crap as his ideal RB trade targets :rolleyes:

Has this guy watched the Eagles?  I'd say DE would be atop the list of ideal positions to add to if we make a move before the deadline.  But, there doesn't seem to be many possibilities out there.  Burns isn't gonna happen.  The new name is Bradley Chubb - he'd be a good get but not sure what his trade cost would be...probably a first round pick plus more.    

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He had 2 carries against the Jags ... none since (and none before).

Sal is looking for click bitt!! We really don;t know if they are needed at all until Sermon gets a shot at showing what he can do. 

14 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

Love how this person blows off trading for a DE with his argument about "who loses snaps" then proceeds to list mostly crap as his ideal RB trade targets :rolleyes:

Has this guy watched the Eagles?  I'd say DE would be atop the list of ideal positions to add to if we make a move before the deadline.  But, there doesn't seem to be many possibilities out there.  Burns isn't gonna happen.  The new name is Bradley Chubb - he'd be a good get but not sure what his trade cost would be...probably a first round pick plus more.    

We should look for an older DE with size who can bolster the run D and offer some pass rush.  Doesn't have to be a big name but be a complementary player for a 4 or 5 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Portyansky said:

We don't know if Sermon is any good.  He hasn't shown anything to date with two squads.

29 minutes ago, Procus said:

We don't know if Sermon is any good.  He hasn't shown anything to date with two squads.

I saw how he ran in the limited snaps he had when Scott was out. Ran with authority. But like I said. Currently we don't need anyone else. No reason to give up draft picks for a position like RB. 

17 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

I saw how he ran in the limited snaps he had when Scott was out. Ran with authority. But like I said. Currently we don't need anyone else. No reason to give up draft picks for a position like RB. 

I don't know about Sermon. Looked like he had potential but I agree there just aren't many carries. If anything they could use a pass catching back since Gainwell has disappointed there so far