Philadelphia v Houston

Procus

No football team based in Houston as ever beaten the Eagles - not even once.   Eagles are 6-0 v. Houston Oilers and 5-0 v. Houston Texans.

No baseball team based in Houston has ever beaten the Phillies in a playoff series.  Only one series, but an all time classic - the 1980 NLCS won by the Phils in extra innings.

Should be an interesting couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Astros are going to be tough.  I am not sure past results are a good indicator.  However, I do think the Phillies have a great shot at winning it all.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JamesK said:

Astros are going to be tough.  I am not sure past results are a good indicator.  However, I do think the Phillies have a great shot at winning it all.  

All indications are that after the Thursday night game, the Texans will be 0-6 lifetime against the Eagles.  The Eagles have some sort of hex over the New York Jets and Houston based football teams.  24-0 lifetime against those squads if they win the upcoming game in Houston a week from Thursday.  Absolutely insane, and I don't think there is any other team in the NFL that has such a record.

• Like 1

Does it count when in Tecmo Super Bowl when my Eagles lost to the Oilers?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Astros are a f'n buzz saw.  If we can pull it off it would be amazing.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2022 at 3:04 PM, paco said:

Astros are a f'n buzz saw.  If we can pull it off it would be amazing.

Not for nothing but the Phillies have been quite the buzz saw themselves...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Not a baseball fan at all.  When did Houston change from the NL to the AL in baseball?

• Like 1

The Astros are as good now as when they were when they were cheating to win the World Series. They'll be a tough mountain to climb.

11 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

From start to finish, one of the most dominating defensive performances.  Seth Joyner was playing with like a 102 fever and was insane.  They knocked out like all of the Oilers little run and shoot WR's.  If this were today, not only would Wes Hopkins be suspended (for multiple hits), he might be in jail.  God I loved that team....motherf'ing Bryce Paup.  They had to play with like 6 different QB's that year, went 10-6........didn't even make the playoffs with statistically, one of if not the best defense EVER.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, rrfierce said:

Cant see the Phillies losing, they’ve got so much momentum and passion i think it will see them through 

That's a homer's mentality.  

You don't think Houston fans aren't saying the same thing?  Houston fans can't see them losing either... because they actually haven't seen it happen.  Houston hasn't lost a single playoff game...

Astros in 4 or 5 games.  Seems like they're on a mission to silence all the "only won because they cheated" talk that they've been hearing the last few years.  

On 10/24/2022 at 2:45 PM, Procus said:

All indications are that after the Thursday night game, the Texans will be 0-6 lifetime against the Eagles.  The Eagles have some sort of hex over the New York Jets and Houston based football teams.  24-0 lifetime against those squads if they win the upcoming game in Houston a week from Thursday.  Absolutely insane, and I don't think there is any other team in the NFL that has such a record.

That or both organizations are just giant turds

On 10/24/2022 at 1:25 PM, Procus said:

No football team based in Houston as ever beaten the Eagles - not even once.   Eagles are 6-0 v. Houston Oilers and 5-0 v. Houston Texans.

No baseball team based in Houston has ever beaten the Phillies in a playoff series.  Only one series, but an all time classic - the 1980 NLCS won by the Phils in extra innings.

Should be an interesting couple of weeks.

The 76ers also beat the Rockets in the only playoff series between the two teams.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vee said:

That's a homer's mentality.  

You don't think Houston fans aren't saying the same thing?  Houston fans can't see them losing either... because they actually haven't seen it happen.  Houston hasn't lost a single playoff game...

Only two other teams have ever swept through the playoffs to get to the World Series. Both lost the World Series. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 5:34 PM, mayanh8 said:

The Astros are as good now as when they were when they were cheating to win the World Series. They'll be a tough mountain to climb.

Just so everyone has the correct context.

The Yankees were playing baseball and cheating.

The Red Sox were playing baseball and cheating.

The Dodgers were playing baseball and probably cheating as well.

The Yankees and Dodgers work in a system were their local revenue is the equivalent of cheating every year for the last 20 or so.

What the Astros did in 2017 was being better at both baseball and cheating than all of those pathetic losers who are still crying 5 years later.

Its a mistake to defend the Yankees and their loser fans in this. Drop the cheating BS. It only gives the Astros power.

Cheating chants at games 3-5 will power up the Astros where the noise beat down the Braves and Padres.

What kind of a joke Phillies fan needs to defend the Dodgers and Yankees 5 years later?

The 2007 Rockies and the 2014 Royals will not be playing in this matchup. Those 2 teams won 90 and 89 regular season games. The Astros won 106.

They lost to teams going on their 2nd WS in 4 years (Boston) and their 3rd in 5 years (San Francisco).

I think the best pitcher from either of those 2 unremarkable teams was James Shields maybe?

If the Phillies win it will be because they punched Goliath in the face 4 times out of 6 or 7. Forget 2007 or 2014 and think about Philly vs Atlanta 1993, or think about 2019 DC vs the Astros (The Nationals won all 4 Scherzer and Strasburg starts and got killed in the other 3 games)

The one thing I do like about this matchup is that all 7 games will be played in Home Run friendly stadiums.

The Phillies will need to outslug them to win this IMO.

I'm not worried about the 87 to 106 win difference because this team wins around 100 with a healthy Bryce Harper and this manager all year.

I want nothing to do with people trying to clutch on to 2017 trash cans and 2 nobody teams from the past as some sort of imaginary lifeline.

18 hours ago, NYEagle said:

From start to finish, one of the most dominating defensive performances.  Seth Joyner was playing with like a 102 fever and was insane.  They knocked out like all of the Oilers little run and shoot WR's.  If this were today, not only would Wes Hopkins be suspended (for multiple hits), he might be in jail.  God I loved that team....motherf'ing Bryce Paup.  They had to play with like 6 different QB's that year, went 10-6........didn't even make the playoffs with statistically, one of if not the best defense EVER.  

I'm sure Otho had Seth all Adderall'd up for that game

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 10:17 AM, Macho Grande said:

Astros in 4 or 5 games.  Seems like they're on a mission to silence all the "only won because they cheated" talk that they've been hearing the last few years.  

They were on that mission last year and the Braves beat them anyway.

Seasons of Destiny intersecting?  We'll see.  I knew about the Eagles and the Oliers/Texans 11-0 stat.  But I forgot about the Phillies World Series stat in 1980 when they beat Houston.  Also as someone mentioned.  Going into the World Series, Teams are 0-2 if they're undefeated.   I think the Phillies are extremely on fire right now.  It's going at least six games.   Phillies seems like they are on a special run just like the Birds in Jan/Feb 2018.  Astros always make it here.  Phillies haven't been in over a decade.  It seems they are leaving everything out there like there is no tomorrow every game.   I think Phillies win it in 5 or 6 and Eagles roll the next two games to 8-0.    

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JamesK said:

Phillies winning game one is HUGE!

DESTINY!  

How 'bout the way they won it?  Overcoming a 5-0 deficit.  Ballsy managing by Philly Rob (some wimpy commentator stating that the team better win the way Thomson was managing or else - duh, don't you play World Series games to win them?).  Great catch by Catellanos in the 9th to send to extra innings.  The stars were aligned for the Phils to win a game they had no business winning.

• Like 1