2020 NFL Draft: Analyst Daniel Jeremiah confident 'Carson would make a star out of any' WR pick

Procus

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/2020-nfl-draft-analyst-daniel-jeremiah-confident-eagles-carson-wentz-would-make-star-out-any-receiver

2020 NFL Draft: Analyst Daniel Jeremiah confident 'Carson would make a star out of any' WR pick

CeeDee Lamb is big, fast and tough and unreal after the catch. Jerry Jeudy is deadly creating space off the line of scrimmage. Henry Ruggs has world-class speed and great hands. Justin Jefferson is smooth, fast and unbelievably production.

Who's the best fit for the Eagles?

Any of them, says NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, a former West Coast scout for the Eagles.

When I look at the top four guys, between CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Justin Jefferson, I think Carson Wentz would make a star out of any of those four players,” Jeremiah said.

The Eagles go into the first round of the draft Thursday with a desperate need at wide receiver, and they need to make sure they avoid with Wentz what happened with Donovan McNabb, who other than one year with Terrell Owens and a couple years at the end of his career with DeSean Jackson never had an elite wide receiver.

This is the Eagles’ best chance to find a worthy young playmaker that Wentz can grow with over the next few years.

Jeremiah, who worked with Howie Roseman here and Andy Weidl in Baltimore, has a pretty good idea how the Eagles’ brain trust thinks.

And he believes Wentz will have a strong voice in the Eagles’ virtual draft room Thursday night.

"I think he does have influence,” Jeremiah said in a recent conference call. "I don't necessarily think it's over this particular player vs. that particular player. But I'd be shocked if they have not had conversations with Carson and sat down and said, ‘Hey, what do we need? Do we need more speed, do you need guys to be more reliable, do you need more size, do you want somebody that can play inside, can play outside? What will make you comfortable?’ And let him kind of build a menu for the type of player you want to bring in.”

All of which makes sense.

If you’re going to draft a wide receiver in the first round, why wouldn’t you consult with the guy who’s going to be throwing the ball to him for the next several years (they hope)?

"I definitely think he would have an input on that in terms of the skills and what they're looking for at the position,” Jeremiah said. "I don't necessarily think he's going to come in there and say, ‘I'd rather have K.J. Hamler than Laviska Shenault.’ I don't think he's going to have that type of say-so, but I do think he'll get a chance to craft the role and what they're looking for in that position.”

That said, Jeremiah ranks the top four receivers like this: 1) Lamb, 2) Jeudy, 3) Ruggs, 4) Jefferson.

"If you had the pick of the litter it would be CeeDee Lamb, if you can get him,” he said. "I think he's the best. He can do everything. He can give you the big-play ability down the field but he can also do a lot of dirty work on third down and in the red zone and he would give Carson a lot of free yards after the catch. That would be my choice.”

It might be impossible for the Eagles to get Lamb. But any of them would make the Eagles a much better team and make Wentz a much better quarterback.

Subscribe and rate the Eagle Eye podcast: 
Apple Podcasts / Google Play / Stitcher / Spotify / Art19

Well that's the attitude DJ! I mean if Carson is a true top QB then yeah he can. I'd still rather we pick up one of those second tier guys. 

I'm scared the FO will think the same and not take a guy early. Looking at what he did with bums at the end of last year and think they can get by without investing in wr like andy did. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

I'm scared the FO will think the same and not take a guy early. Looking at what he did with bums at the end of last year and think they can get by without investing in wr like andy did. 

I have the exact same fears. I really am starting to worry that they are going to go LB and honestly I hate that idea. 

23 hours ago, time2rock said:

Worked well with JJAW.  

:mellow2:

I don't think he means he can make ANY receiver a star. He specifically said any of THOSE four guys, who may all be more talented and/or polished than JJAW was coming out.

But I hear you that after the hype on JJAW during camp, it's hard to believe what anyone says these days.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I have the exact same fears. I really am starting to worry that they are going to go LB and honestly I hate that idea. 

Patrick Queen would be the most popular defensive player here since Dawkins.  I would not be mad at all.

4 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Patrick Queen would be the most popular defensive player here since Dawkins.  I would not be mad at all.

No. Thank. You. 

Would change absolutely nothing for this team. 

On 4/21/2020 at 9:59 AM, time2rock said:

Worked well with JJAW.  

Wait until you see him this season :flex:

52 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Wait until you see him this season :flex:

Haha ... the old "with a full offseason ... " defense that gets used way too much around here.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Haha ... the old "with a full offseason ... " defense that gets used way too much around here.  :lol:

I really liked him coming out. Not sure what happen but I've seen a few reports he wasn't healthy. I believe he'll bounce back and have a real solid season

On 4/21/2020 at 7:43 AM, Procus said:

Hey, what do we need? Do we need more speed, do you need guys to be more reliable, do you need more size, do you want somebody that can play inside, can play outside? What will make you comfortable?’

All of the above.

-Wentz

43 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I really liked him coming out. Not sure what happen but I've seen a few reports he wasn't healthy. I believe he'll bounce back and have a real solid season

I wasn't high on the pick but admittedly I didn't know that much about him to have a solid opinion - I just had other players that I would have liked (e.g. Thornhill) much more.  But I also am not writing him off after one disappointing season.  

On 4/21/2020 at 10:59 AM, time2rock said:

Worked well with JJAW.  

The prob is not JJaw, its we drafted a guy and didnt use him to his strengths. 

He is not a route runner. He is a post up, jump ball receiver. If you watch his film, he is jumping for every single catch, even when he doesnt have to. Both parents were pro basketball players. he makes his living on mid/deep posts, corners, fades. We don't use those type of routes. I think it was more of a fail for being in the wrong scheme. Players have success and fails more because they are put in the wrong system. Its why you see so many players leave a team and become a bum or thrive on a new team. 

i think if hes used correctly he would have success. But he will never be that wr screen, bubble screen, quick slant, drag, mid cross type player which is what our scheme is. For him to be more successful, Doug will have to change which I don't see happening. 

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I wasn't high on the pick but admittedly I didn't know that much about him to have a solid opinion - I just had other players that I would have liked (e.g. Thornhill) much more.  But I also am not writing him off after one disappointing season.  

I watch quite a bit of PAC10 football being an USC fan. He didn't look the same. Hopefully he's healed from whatever injury was slowing him down and Morehead coaches him up