Why Eagles' McCaffrey trade pursuit broke down

time2rock

Why Eagles' McCaffrey trade pursuit broke down

The Eagles are the NFL's only remaining undefeated team and they look like legit Super Bowl contenders heading into Week 8.

But Howie Roseman is always looking for upgrades, and ahead of the Nov. 1 trade deadline it sounds like he was poking around a potential mega-upgrade... but wasn't willing to pay what it would've cost.

Roseman called the Carolina Panthers about trading for Christian McCaffrey last week, Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports, before McCaffrey was traded to the 49ers for four draft picks.

Here's why Roseman didn't make a McCaffrey trade work:

"The Panthers told San Francisco, Buffalo and other teams that would subsequently call, that a first-rounder alone might get it done, and that a first-rounder and a later pick would get it done.

"[...]

"More calls poured in Tuesday, with some teams just fishing — offering a third-rounder or a fourth-rounder to see whether a discount was in the offing. The Broncos and Eagles were among those teams (both have GMs who like to investigate pretty much everything). The day clarified who was really in and who wasn’t."

Look, I know Christian McCaffrey is a great football player. Pairing him with Jalen Hurts would give opposing defenses headaches for days, and would've catapulted them to Super Bowl favorite status. I get it.

I know, too, that the Eagles have bountiful draft picks in 2024 that could've enticed Carolina. Roseman has two second-round picks, two fourth-round picks, and two fifth-round picks in that draft. McCaffrey went for a 2023 second, a 2023 third, a 2023 fourth, and a 2024 fifth. Roseman probably could've been competitive there.

But I also know McCaffrey is injured constantly, and Roseman likely didn't want to take a machete to the substantial draft capital he's accrued for a fragile player at football's most replaceable position. Even while the Eagles are in win-now mode, he's got his eyes on the future. And he's probably learned a lesson or two from the last time the Eagles won the Super Bowl but couldn't sustain that level of success. The 2017 run was magical and perfect, but it was flash-in-the-pan success. Roseman wants to be the NFC's answer to the Chiefs, and you do that by drafting well - particularly when you're about to sign your quarterback to a big-money deal.

So, ultimately, McCaffrey was a no-go for the Birds. It's fun to dream about the what-if, but this team is perfectly capable of winning a Super Bowl without him.

And we still have a week of lead-up to the trade deadline. I'm sure Howie will be working those phones.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-trade-rumors-why-eagles-couldnt-land-christian-mccaffrey

• Haha 1

Love that he tried to steal him for virtually nothing. Happy we didn't give up all that draft capital for an injury prone RB.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Love that he tried to steal him for virtually nothing. Happy we didn't give up all that draft capital for an injury prone RB.

That's exactly how I feel. The one thing you know with Howie is that he'll always be interested in a player. And most of the time he won't overpay for a player. 

• Like 1

When an overused HB starts getting injured, injuries usually continue. Best not to trade the house for that trend.

Laughable that some people are making it out as though we were serious contenders to land McC and lost out.  Howie is doing what Howie does ... due diligence.  He dangled a lowball offer to see where it may lead.  I for one am super grateful we didn't land him for what SF gave up for him (I can almost guarantee he isn't going to be the missing piece to bump them up to being serious contenders).  SF fans should be pissed.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Laughable that some people are making it out as though we were serious contenders to land McC and lost out.  Howie is doing what Howie does ... due diligence.  He dangled a lowball offer to see where it may lead.  I for one am super grateful we didn't land him for what SF gave up for him (I can almost guarantee he isn't going to be the missing piece to bump them up to being serious contenders).  SF fans should be pissed.  

Yep, I figured that was probably what Howie was doing.  He's just sniffing to see what will it take.

However, an "unnamed team" made a huge offer for Brian Burns - two 1st round picks.  I also think that might have been Howie.

21 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Yep, I figured that was probably what Howie was doing.  He's just sniffing to see what will it take.

However, an "unnamed team" made a huge offer for Brian Burns - two 1st round picks.  I also think that might have been Howie.

I sure as heck hope not.  I wouldn't want him even for one 1st.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I sure as heck hope not.  I wouldn't want him even for one 1st.  

I wouldn't give up 2 firsts, but I'd definitely give up our own first in 2023 for Burns...it's about a 100% lock we are going to use the Saints' pick on a DE, pending where it ends up.  So, if we could get a pretty good, young DE for the #32 pick (B-)), that's a steal!

On 10/25/2022 at 1:48 PM, EaglesAddict said:

I wouldn't give up 2 firsts, but I'd definitely give up our own first in 2023 for Burns...it's about a 100% lock we are going to use the Saints' pick on a DE, pending where it ends up.  So, if we could get a pretty good, young DE for the #32 pick (B-)), that's a steal!

What I don't like about giving up a 1st for him is that he is nearing the end of his rookie contract (I believe he may have his 5th year option next year at something like $16M but not 100% certain).  I'd much rather use those picks to grab players that we would have under control for 4-5 years on a much cheaper rookie contract ... our cap situation coupled with the (likely) need to give Hurts a market contract and several of our own players scheduled to hit free agency (so either need to re-up or replace them) pretty much necessitates that approach.  

• Like 1

What a clickbait headline.  Eagles were fishing and never aggressively pursued him in the first place

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Procus said:

What a clickbait headline.  Eagles were fishing and never aggressively pursued him in the first place

And it isn't even really a story because we know Howie fishes about every player who may be available. It's one of the things he's very very good at. 

• Like 1