Steelers heading to face Eagles at house of horrors in Philadelphia

Procus

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/steelers-heading-to-face-eagles-at-house-of-horrors-in-philadelphia/?src=rss

Steelers heading to face Eagles at house of horrors in Philadelphia

pittsburgh

By Mike Darnay

October 26, 2022 / 2:08 AM / CBS Pittsburgh

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) -- It's spooky season for the Steelers as they head to Philadelphia this weekend, but not just because of the upcoming Halloween festivities.

When it comes to the Steelers and the City of Brotherly Love, it's been a house of horrors for the black and gold, who haven't won in Philadelphia since 1965. 

The Eagles have come out on the winning end of the matchup nine straight times, with the last game in Philadelphia taking place in 2016, when the team known locally as the 'Birds' won 34-3 in a rout. 

Eight years prior, in 2008, Ben Roethlisberger was sacked eight times, fumbled twice, and threw one interception in a 15-6 loss.

Whether the games have been played at Franklin Field, Veterans Stadium, or Lincoln Financial Field, the current home of the Eagles, it's been all Philadelphia for the better of five decades when the two teams meet on the eastern side of the commonwealth.

The last time the Steelers were victorious was in 1965, with the win over the Eagles being only one of two wins that season, as they lost 12 games. The team was coached by Mike Nixon, four years before legendary head coach Chuck Noll would take over and help right the ship for the Steelers.

Back in the 1960's the two teams squared off nearly every year, prior to restructuring around the NFL's conferences and divisions. 

After facing one another in 1979, twelve years went by before the two would meet again, and another six years after that.

Now, under the current league format, teams rotate through every year facing all four teams from the same division in the NFC, alternating divisions every year, and also alternating home and away matchups each time the two teams play. This means that under this format, the Steelers and Eagles will play one another every four years, alternating between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

Should the Steelers come out on the losing end of things at Lincoln Financial Field on Sunday, they'll wait another eight years for another crack at ending the streak of losing in Philadelphia, which could cross over the 60-year mark with a win.

The Steelers have struggled out of the gate to start the 2022 season, compiling a 2-5 record, averaging just over 15 points per game on the offensive side of the ball. 

Meanwhile, in Philadelphia, the Eagles are flying high, heading into Sunday's game as the lone undefeated team in the NFL, sporting a 6-0 record behind quarterback Jalen Hurts.

Steelers vs. Eagles matchup history in Philadelphia since last road win in 1965

• 2016 -- Eagles 34, Steelers 3 
  • 2008 -- Eagles 15, Steelers 6
  • 1997 -- Eagles 23, Steelers 20
  • 1991 -- Eagles 23, Steelers 14
  • 1979 -- Eagles 17, Steelers 14
  • 1970 -- Eagles 30, Steelers 20
  • 1969 -- Eagles 41, Steelers 27
  • 1967 -- Eagles 34, Steelers 24
  • 1966 -- Eagles 27, Steelers 23

Kickoff for Sunday's game at Lincoln Financial Field is set for 1 p.m. and the game will be broadcasted locally on KDKA-TV! 

I hate stuff like this because records are there to be broken! There have been a lot of good Pittsburgh teams over the years and yet they've got such a bad record here in Philly. But it wouldn't shock me if they came in this time and got the win against us. 

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I hate stuff like this because records are there to be broken! There have been a lot of good Pittsburgh teams over the years and yet they've got such a bad record here in Philly. But it wouldn't shock me if they came in this time and got the win against us. 

It would shock me because the Eagles are a good team coming off of a bye, and the Steelers at the moment are not a good team and are starting a rookie QB.

Best win during the streak was in 1979.  Eagles broke something like a 10 game winning streak for the Steelers who went on to win the 4th and final SB of the Chuck Noll era.

3 hours ago, Procus said:

It would shock me because the Eagles are a good team coming off of a bye, and the Steelers at the moment are not a good team and are starting a rookie QB.

In the NFL nothing would shock me. The Giants have the second best record in the league. The Bears just pummelled the Pats. The Steelers won a couple of weeks ago and the Jets are on a 4 win stretch. 

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In the NFL nothing would shock me. The Giants have the second best record in the league. The Bears just pummelled the Pats. The Steelers won a couple of weeks ago and the Jets are on a 4 win stretch. 

This

Sometimes really good teams lay an egg.

Sometimes really bad teams get lucky.  

I never ever take any game lightly or consider it a shoe-in for a W.  I've been a fan far too long and have seen enough disappointment to know better.  

Now having said that, I'll be extremely disappointed if this team came out flat after an extra week of preparations and seeing how well Sirianni has gotten this team to stay focused.  

• Like 2